Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RV cover
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good RV cover that will winter well? Our 1991 Regal is about to spend its first winter outside verses the warm, heated, carpeted garage it had been in for 14 years. We want to protect it the best we can, but it will be OUTSIDE for a cold PA winter. I saw RV covers for sale in camping world for about $350 manufactured by Dupont. Suggestions or experiences are welcome...I'm all ears. :-)

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
350 sounds like a good price to me, being DuPont and figuring storage for the coach under other circumstances. I'm sure the other guys will give more expert advice.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Whamer,

I was in the same position last year and spent a lot of time checking out covers. Most covers are actually only good for about three to four years. Some of the materials don't breathe and will cause condensation problems.

I finally bought a Calmark cover, which uses Sunbrella fabric. I should get 8 to 10 years out of it. It was about $800.00, which is expensive, but my coach weathered very well under it. I live in western Massachusetts and have real winters. Here is a link to the Calmark website: http://www.calmarkcovers.com/. They are very helpful if you call them.

Bill G

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Bill is right. Sunbrella is the best. I suspect it will last a very long time, if my calif boat cover experience is any indication.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were just about ready to place the order for the sunbrella cover and then we stopped...how hard it this cover to get on and off a 33'length 11' high Barth? Does getting the cover on and off require more then two people and a 10' step ladder? I think the RV cover is the right way to go for the winter (because we have nothing else) but I thought I should ask for input or experiences about getting the cover on and off safely...if you know what I mean.

No injured backs or ladder mis-haps. Advice is welcome! :-)

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Whamer,

The cover is fairly heavy. Probably around 75 pounds, maybe one hundred pounds. I could not lift the whole thing so had to devise a way to managing it. What I did, was to lay it out on my driveway and roll it from front to back. In this configuration the roll is approximately fifteen feet long. I grabbed one end, threw it over my shoulder and climbed up the rear ladder. I had a friend follow me up carrying the last third. We then positioned it at the rear end and rolled it forward. I also had my wife on the ground pulling the sides along (she did need to alternate sides from time to time). I bought six, four foot bungee cords to stretch the cover tight under the Barth. This held it tight all winter. It went quite well and I have no concerns about putting it on again this year.

There were a couple of places where it rubbed on a rough spot and cut the material. I had covered a few spots that I thought would be a problem, but the winter season showed me a few more. Calmark included some patching material which I will apply in those spots before putting it on again for this season.

I hope this helps give you some idea about the cover and the process. I would not winter without this cover.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are fortunate enough to be able to park your Barth beside or behind your house you may want to consider a structure consisting of a roof with partial sides. I had one built which is probably top-of-the-line due to the CC&R's of our neighborhood for just over $4000; shingle roof and cedar siding included. There are some really nice metal roof on steel tubular supports for about half that price. Lots of people use them around here and we get LOTS of snow.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Karen>
posted
RV covers are available in different materials.

This varies from lower range to high range it depends on your choice.

Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I would 2nd the motion for Sunbrella fabric. My coach awning is Sunbrella, as is my airplane cover. Both have spent many years in the sun and show minimal changes over time. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone curious. A 2020 update on Calmarkcovers.
Quote for a 28’ ‘88 regal - $1,792 + 7.75% tax and shipping...we will be opting for a more permanent solution.

Posts: 29 | Location: Prince William County, VA | Member Since: 10-25-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post