Forums    General Discussions    How do I find out what I have?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How do I find out what I have?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
I am a new and only the second owner of an excellent 1993 Barth. (model 9211-3838-33BS-1B) I am going to paste a long-winded email I sent Dave and see what I get for an answer:
I took our Barth on a 600 mile trip this weekend trying to learn to control it in all kinds of weather (we had them all from snow to wind to bad traffic). The cruise control quit working in a rain storm 50 miles west of SLC. Hit a standing flood of water on the interstate and now I wonder if there could be a fuse that controls the cruise. Haven't had time to read about the chassis. I am still ignorant as to what is a Regal (I assume gas Model) a Breakaway (I assume the cheap? diesel pusher) and a Regency (an expensive diesel pusher). It seems to have sufficient power without a tow. I have made arrangements to have it optimized with Baker Diesel here in Utah. He put an Edge chip in my 2001 pickup that raised the rear wheel torque to over 700 lbs. and the horsepower to over 300. The nice thing about it is you can turn it off and on and choose from 3 different power ranges. I have a standard and have burnt the clutch just a little. My own fault running cruise control across Wyoming in the wind. I have another question. I don't have a spare tire with the 22.5 inch. What do you RVer's do when you have a flat. Is there a company with a 24 hour number you can call for assistance (for a price) to bail you out? Well I have rambled on long enough for this time but will have several more questions in the future.

Thanks Rod DeGarlais

Posts: 12 | Location: Newell, SD & Yuma, AZ | Member Since: 05-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Good Sam offers emergency roadside service which I have purchased but never used. It cost about $90/year. They are supposed to change flats. If you have a flat on the front, you can move a rear tire to the front and limp in to a service area. If you have a compressor/or compressed air CO2 tank with an impact, it makes a much easier to change yourself and there's no wait for a mechanic.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
If you are trying to determine what Barth you have, it is fairly easy. If you have a 1993 model, and it is a diesel, it is either a Breakaway, or a Regency. If it has air suspension it is a Regency. Breakaway's only had steel springs. I think there was a Regal with a 6.5 GM diesel, but I'm not sure what years. That GM diesel didn't make the torque of the cummins, even though it had similar HP ratings, and I'm not sure the transmission was an allison.

The Breakaway only had the cummins B series. In 1993, it was either a 190hp, or 230hp. The 190hp had a 4 speed transmission while the 230hp had a 6 speed electronic transmission, both allison's. If you have the 4 speed, I wouldn't go over 300 hp in modifications, or you'll break the transmission. The 6 speed can handle whatever you are likely to pull out of the 230hp.

The Regal model was gas, but there may have been some late diesel models, but they had the 6.5 GM diesel. I'm not sure they came with 22.5" wheels. The Regency's all had that size, as well as the 230hp Breakaway's. I don't know if others did. All Breakaway's had propane generators, and almost all Regency's had diesel generators.

If you have the 6 speed it is either a 230hp Breakaway, or a Regency with either a cummins 8.3 or a Cat.

I hope my ramblings have clarified things a bit.

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post