Barth Data Tag Information - help wanted
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jefflarsen:
OK,

I have a 1984 35ft MCC Regency Detroit D. Pusher.

# are: 8405-0040-35RDB
Date of manufacture: 05 84
Vin 1RP1A5866E1US1072
Regency Prod. Inc.

If understand the forum this would be the 40th coach built, (for the year, or for the modle?).

Jeff

If you notice on the line after the VIN #, it indicates "Regency Prod. Inc."

Is there a possibility that Barth bought this line of coaches and that is the reason for Regency's beginning with a different sequence number?

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see the response this has gotten and hope it ultimately provides the answers we've all been looking for. I touched on this back in July, trying to figure out my own data tag and floor plan drawing but it didn't really go very far and, as Bill N.Y. stated, it had been brought up before without much success.

This really appears to be going where we need it to go. I'm sure someone has already tried but, has there been any success getting in touch with someone from the original Barth Inc? I have one schematic that was drawn by William A. Barth. My question is, where did the people that made decisions for Barth go to? Are they around and willing to answer any questions?

My Barth Info:
Manufactured by Barth Inc on 6/29/89
Barth #: 8904 0120 38RDG-B
89: Year built. 1990 model year.
04: Month Scheduled?
0120: Serial Number #, Mine was # 120 since inception?
38: 38 Feet long.
R: Regency
D: Diesel
G: Gillig chassis
B: Floor plan, does the "B" mean side aisle?
Additional Info:
12/21/88: Chassis Build Date
92: Water tank size
40: Grey holding
54: Black holding
150: Fuel tank
27000: Actual Weight with 70 gals fuel and little cargo.
29640: GVWR
255 80R 22.5: Tires
3208TA Cat 300HP: Engine
Stone-Bennet shifter
Allison 4sp Auto Trans.
Alcoa wheels
Mood lighting
Aisle lighting
Electric steps (2)
Burglar alarm system
Zip-Dee Awnings: 22', 14', 7', 5'
Barth air horns (2)
Tile floor in bath
Skylight in Bath
Skylight in hallway
Wood plank floor in galley
4 burner stove top.
Slide-out pantry
Corian counter and dinette table
Convection microwave
6 Gal Water Heater
Water storage compartment heater
Factory Mixer/Blender in counter
7.5kW Onan Diesel GenSet
Block Heater
40Ch. CB
Two 25,000 BTU Furnaces
One 35,000 BTU Furnace
Two Roof A/C with Heat Strips
Powered Attic Vent with thermostat
Cherry wood cabinetry and trim.
Front and rear automotive A/C
HWH Jacks
Hideaway table in livingroom
Wide body
Side aisle
Side door
I don’t know when mine was delivered to the original owner but I notice that my build date is 6/29/89 while the first four digits of the ID # are 8904 (Apr 1989?). Is it possible that this is due to mine possibly being a “Spec” model as opposed to a special order like Don of Niagara’s coach?

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"..ID # are 8904 (Apr 1989?)..."
I THINK this is the month Barth actually began building on the coach, as this corresponds with the build and delivery times on mine.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
If you notice on the line after the VIN #, it indicates "Regency Prod. Inc."

Is there a possibility that Barth bought this line of coaches and that is the reason for Regency's beginning with a different sequence number?

Great observation of the producing company. I THINK there is a greater probability that Barth formed their own subsidiary than bought the line. I only think that because it would explain the Data numbers being in the same exact format. The odds of another company using the same format are too great.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
"..ID # are 8904 (Apr 1989?)..."
I THINK this is the month Barth actually began building on the coach, as this corresponds with the build and delivery times on mine.

Sometimes I feel like the more info I gather the more confused I become, but here are my thoughts FWTAW.
There seems little doubt that the sequence number is exactly that. The next section contains length, model, and chassis. The Regencies contained a D for diesel in the beginning but it was later dropped because all Regencies are diesel. The last section seems to have something to do with floor plan or major options but I can't make sense of it so far. My coach is 9206-0160-32RG-2C, Wide body, center aisle, side door, twin beds. Hawk-57's coach 9210-0164-32RG-3C, Wide body, center aisle, front door, queen bed. Stagecoach's coach 8904-0120-38RDG-B, Wide body, side aisle, side door. There is also a lack of consistancy in the format of the last digits. Some coaches have one digit, some two. Those that are two maybe alpha numeric and others numeric alpha.

I can't nail down the first four digits because they are not completely consistant. I don't know how long it took Barth to build a coach but some tags have a tag date that is the same as the four digits and some have a tag date a month or so later than the four digits. Examples are 8904 tag date 6/29/89, 9005 tag date 4/1/90, 8905 tag date 5/8/89, 9207 tag date 7/14/92.

Now you can all be as confused as I am. BTW, so far I have about forty tags. Would love to have a couple hundred. Keep them coming and if you spot something really old or unusual please try to get the number for us all.

I'm trying guys.
Nick

I also find it strange that with so much info contained in the number that there is nothing to indicate powertrain. Wonder why?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I would agree that the odds are too great but, if Barth did in fact buy the company, they would then be able to use any format they wanted.

I don't see why they would have chosen to produce Regency under a different company name unless they needed (wanted) to make the Regency stand alone. At some point in time, the Regency was brought into Barth Inc. and the "Regency Prod. Inc." name was dropped.

I'm not sure what happened here but it is strange that "Regency Prod. Inc." was listed as the manufacturer. I'm curious what was listed on the RVIA plate or, is that the same as a data tag? Many questions, but I'm confident someone here will find many of those answers.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
I would agree that the odds are too great but, if Barth did in fact buy the company, they would then be able to use any format they wanted.

I don't see why they would have chosen to produce Regency under a different company name unless they needed (wanted) to make the Regency stand alone. At some point in time, the Regency was brought into Barth Inc. and the "Regency Prod. Inc." name was dropped.

I'm not sure what happened here but it is strange that "Regency Prod. Inc." was listed as the manufacturer. I'm curious what was listed on the RVIA plate or, is that the same as a data tag? Many questions, but I'm confident someone here will find many of those answers.

My thought process, if you can call it that was only that the data tag info would have already been on the coach before Barth bought the company. But you are right without talking to someone in Barth I don't know how we will know.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We looked at a Royale a few years ago, which was really a 33' tag axle Regal/Chev. Thing is, I could not find anything on it that said Barth except on the steering wheel. Don't remember ever looking at the data tag but there was some paperwork that gave the manufacturer's name. I remember thinking it odd it wasn't Barth. Unfortunately, I don't remember now what it was.
Must have been a corperate decision that made it worthwhile though.
Hopefully the present owner will come by and add to the info.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Nick, I have most of the origional papers from my coach when ordered and produced and delivered as follows;

9/22/89, Certificate of Origin issued from Gillig Corporation to Barth, Inc, State Rd 15 South, P. O. Box 768, Milford, In 46542. Chassis vin #46GED0413K2041835.

???? Order of coach written and signed but no date from Barth Inc. to Sunset Motors in Santa Clara, Ca.

10/2/89 Correction Notice from Barth Inc. on serial #0135.
Delete 32-RDG-B2
Add 32-RDG-B1
Switch 13" to front overhead and 10" to bedroom.
Mirrored sliding closet doors.
Delete carpet in Bath
Add tile in bath.

10/2/89 Copy of Work Order, coach 8910-0135-32 RDG-B2

10/19/89 Copy of Quailty Control and Deficency Sheet stating date of completion as 10/19/89

11/22/89, Barth Inc invoice to Sunset Motors in Santa
Clara, CA. for $153,685.00 FOB Santa Clara, Ca.. $1,510.00 was charged for transportation from Louisville, KY to Santa Clara, Ca..

12/4/89 Barth delivery receipt signed from Sunset Motors stating they had recieved coach.

12/5/89 Copy of check from ITT Commerical Finance for $153,685 to Barth Inc..

happy motoring, Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Kim and Dianne
posted Hide Post
My data tag Number is: S76041875M021A

I have not seen others with a preceding Letter (my case "S"), should this be ignored?

From other posts I am guessing:

S = ?
76 = 1976
04 = April
18 = ?
75 = ?
M0 = ?
21 = 21 foot
A = ?

It appears I don't know much ... huh Smiler

Kim

1976 Barth 21'
HAM Call: AC7YY

Posts: 29 | Location: Centralia, Washington | Member Since: 07-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
We looked at a Royale a few years ago, which was really a 33' tag axle Regal/Chev. Thing is, I could not find anything on it that said Barth except on the steering wheel. Don't remember ever looking at the data tag but there was some paperwork that gave the manufacturer's name. I remember thinking it odd it wasn't Barth. Unfortunately, I don't remember now what it was.
Must have been a cooperate decision that made it worthwhile though.
Hopefully the present owner will come by and add to the info.
Don

I looked at (and did a little work on) perhaps the same one. Dave and Linda's, from Ontario. It had the regular Regal roof/side radius, and the interior appointments were no more luxurious than other Regals. Exterior bins were the same as mine, for example. The exterior bin doors were not matching paint, as if having been stripped or reskinned, perhaps. It had a nicer dash than my Regal SE, but many other later Regals did, too. I actually thought my Regal SE had nicer cabinetry, but All Barths are Different. It had "Royale Coaches" marked in decals several places. I looked at their data tag, but don't remember much more than the tag axle weight notation. I have wondered if Royale Coaches might have been another separate entity created by Barth for tax or export reasons. The business end of their operation was always "interesting".

Does anyone know who bought Dave and Linda's coach? Even if the full information were known, it would probably not shed much light on anything, but would be an interesting blind alley.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kim:
My data tag Number is: S76041875M021A

I have not seen others with a preceding Letter (my case "S"), should this be ignored?
Kim, we have a couple tags with a "S" in the first position. Don't know its' meaning, just guessing special order. 7604 is April, 1976. 1875 is the sequence number. M0 is probably MC as that is what is on all other coaches from that era. I think the MC just stood for motor coach to differentiate it from travel trailers. 21 is the length. A is probably the floor plan. Hope this helps.
Nick

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I think we have a pretty good handle now on the first part of the info you can get from the data tag and would like to start trying to understand the last digits. Maybe we could start with one model and get as much specific info on each coach as possible. The Regency would probably be the easiest due to the limited number.
My 93 32 foot last digits are 2C. It is a wide body, center aisle, side door, twin bed configuration. The kitchen and bathroom counters are corian with molded in sinks. If you can think of anything else I should note, let me know. Now if you other Regency owners will post the same info I'll add this to the spreadsheet to see if it will tell us anything additional. If I already have your tag just tell me which one it is and add the additional info. Let me know which model you would like to do next.
Thanks, Nick

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
You should already have my data tag info: 8904 0120 38RDG-B for my 1990 38' Regency.

Wide body; Side Aisle; Side Door; Queen Island Bed; Corian - Kitchen, Bath, Dinette; Upgrade Cabinets - Cherry? (Some data indicates Walnut, others Cherry; Bath Tile; 7.5 Onan.

Is it possible that the letter designator indicates trim level such as A or nothing means base trim, B= next level and C highest? Or "B" means base (spec unit) while C means Custom Order?

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Nick
Our 90 34' Spartan/Cummins last digits are RDS-3C. It is a standard 96" body with a centre aisle; rear queen, side door, curb side counter-sink-stove, street side fridge and bathroom, and a fold-down breakfast bar next to the fridge. No dinette, just the fold-down table behind the co-pilot's seat.
It has the standard 240hp 8.3 engine and unlike most other Regencies I've seen is relatively low line. It does not have a corion counter top in the kitchen, but does in the bath. It is carpeted though out, no tile or hardwood, and it has single pane Hehr windows. Otherwise, pretty much regular Regency fitments, compartment lights, am/fm stereo cassette, dash ac, 2 roof ac with heat strips, Hadleys, spotlight, panic alarm and burgler alarm even on the storage doors, and gorgeous solid cherry everywhere inside.
Hope this is of interest, I really appreciate all the work you and everyone else have put into this project, it is really worth-while.
It was custom ordered in Dec. 89 and delivered in May 90 by Texas RV.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
I think we have a pretty good handle now on the first part of the info you can get from the data tag and would like to start trying to understand the last digits. Maybe we could start with one model and get as much specific info on each coach as possible. The Regency would probably be the easiest due to the limited number.
My 93 32 foot last digits are 2C. It is a wide body, center aisle, side door, twin bed configuration. The kitchen and bathroom counters are corian with molded in sinks. If you can think of anything else I should note, let me know. Now if you other Regency owners will post the same info I'll add this to the spreadsheet to see if it will tell us anything additional. If I already have your tag just tell me which one it is and add the additional info. Let me know which model you would like to do next.
Thanks, Nick

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post