Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Data Tag Information - help wanted
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might it have stood for Rear-Diesel-Gillig instead? It seems to make more sense since the RGO seems to stand for Rear-Gas-Oshkosh. On the other hand... Regal-Gas-Oshkosh would still fit.

I had the same thoughts and wondered it that is what the RGO would stand far.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
In October, 2007 Barthmobile.com started the Data Tag project to gather as much information as possible about the history of Barth and the actual number of different models that were produced over the years.

This thread now contains 12 pages of information and we thank all of the contributors for supplying their information. We are now fairly certain that the total production by Barth and it's successor Barth, RSV is something less than 4,500 units.

We have identified what the different sections of the Data Tag Number mean and have been able to make logical assumptions about those numbers. We know that on the earlier coaches the last digits were usually FP followed by a number. That was the floor plan of that unit and often this can be verified by old brochures that can be found on the Barth CD.

So far we have collected about 130 tags. I would like to challenge all of our loyal members to find a new tag in 2009 to add to our collection. If possible a digital picture of the tag removes all doubt and is proof positive of what Barth claimed the coach to be.

The results of our work is available for everyone's use and can be found under Community Announcements.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post

Bill NY's remarks:
"It looks like you do have a Widebody Regency. If it is a Monarch, then it would measure out at 100" wide. The widebody Regency would be 102" wide."
>>> It measures 102" wide external. Regency?

"The body "style" screams out Old School Regency and the center windshield strip appears to be the 6" wide one. "
>>> It is 6 inch. Regency?

"But, on the other hand the paint design says Monarch. If the center windshield strip is 4" then it is a Monarch. Add in a little for what would be under the rubber too."
>>> it is 6" Regency?

id = 9512-M0009C-37RL-1C

9512 = I believe the 9512 is Dec 1995 because the DMV reg indicates a 12/1995 first registration, consistent with THE TITLED model year = 1996.

M0009C = sequence number 9?

37RL = could be 37 length, as that would be consistent with length without bumpers. But I bought it titled as a 38' and therefore call it a 38', which would include bumpers. RL could relate to basic floor plan symmetry/design.

1C = No idea what the -1C might mmean, unless it is 1=wide and c=class C

-----------------------------

Having stated all that, I find my unit appearance external and the ID number pattern and content as well as chassis, length and engine size, etc. to be eerily similar to Judy Gilmore's 9601-M0012-38RL-1C.

engine = 400hp 1200 ft-lb M11 turbo cummins 1st generation electronic control

trans = Allison HD4060

floorplan = center isle

electric cooktop replaced with gas cooktop.

front carpet replaced with laminate

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You have a Class A RV.

If it has a 6" center windshield, and it's 102 overall width". Then yes, you have a Widebody Regency. The Monarchs were 100" wide.

The -1C sounds like the floorplan.

The Class C Barth would look like this.

I have already place you on the map, I still need to place you on the data tag page. Thanks for the picture of the tag!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill, I know C from A, but what I say and what I know are becoming increasingly incongruous!\

But I am happy to have the mystery solved. So now I will tag it as a Regency.
D'oh

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Beautifull coach by the way Gary.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Just an update to keep everyone posted. So far we have collected 148 data tags. The oldest tag is for a 1967 22ft travel trailer that was number 618 in sequence. The newest coach we have that was produced by the original Barth company is sequence number 3934. It is a 30ft Breakaway produced in September, 1994. Subtracting the two numbers gives us a total of 3,316 units built in the 37 year time frame from 1967 to 1964.

These numbers do not include the Regency line which is numbered separately. Included in the 148 tags collected are 34 Regencies. The first two Regency tags appear to have been built my MCC as they are numbered 0019 and 0039. The tag dates are 6/16/1981 and 2/22/1982 respectively. The next Regency tag is numbered 0004 dated 10/1982. On the surface this would make it appear that Barth started back over at 0001 when they took over production.

We have often talked about the fact that Barth would build anything and that the any of the chassis used on the Regencies could be combined with any of the engines available from Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar, or Cummins. This is true I'm sure but the tags indicate certain chassis/engine combinations were the norm. The first 6 Regency tags were all MCC chassis with Detroit Diesel power. The remaining Regencies include 10 with Spartan chassis, all with Cummins power, and 18 with Gillig Chassis. The Gillig chassis are all powered by Caterpillar with the exception of one coach powered by Detroit Diesel.

We have a few tags from Barth RSV and they include 3 Monarchs, 2 Regencies, 4 Regals, 2 Mobile offices, and a trolley.

The newest tag is one of the RSV Regals produced in November, 1997.

Please keep collecting th tags for the benefit of all our members.

Nick

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Just an update to keep everyone posted. So far we have collected 148 data tags.
I've got 151...

I noticed something else. It appears that in 87 Chevy/GM lost the top spot in chassis offerings and at that point Barth decided to include that in the data tag as well.
C-Chevy/GM
J-John Deere
O-Oshkosh
S-Specialized if Commercial or if proceeded by a B it would mean Breakaway Spartan

Before that, the Iveco units would have a IV added to the end of the tag#.
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
We have a few tags from Barth RSV and they include 3 Monarchs...
I was looking thru some info on my coach on Monday and I noticed something. My 1991 has Barth RSV listed in the chassis paperwork from Freightliner.

Maybe when Freightliner bought out JD and Oshkosh they coded the Barth RSV into their computers instead of Barth and Barth RSV??? It might have made more sense to list one company in the coding instead of 2 companies.

The problem with time is that important information is lost when companies go bankrupt or are sold off to the competition. This is why the Data Tag project is important and timely. The more info and original literature we can track down now, the easier it will be in cornering what is real and what is a guess.

It's been over 11 years since the Last Barth left the Milford plant... Time marches on and stuff like this gets lost or forgotten... So, if you can share your tag number, now would be a good time.

Thanks Nick and everyone who has contributed to this project. For those on the fence, please contribute. For those who have no intentions of helping in this project... Why not??? Confused

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Where O Where is Regency coach number 0161.

The data tag file includes Regency tags for coach 0158 to 0167 except for 0161. Someone find this coach and we would have tags for ten consecutive coaches.

Coach 0158 was built in December, 1991 and coach 0167 was built 22 months later in September, 1993.
Ten Regencies in 22 months, about 5 a year or 1 every 2.2 months.

Nick

Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I think we are getting closer to determining how many Barths were built.

The highest number from the regular sequence is 3934. It appears that Barth RSV built about 100 units in total. About 170 Regencies in that number scheme. That would give you a total of 4,204 units. It appears that about the first 700 were travel trailers, leaving a balance of about 3,500 class C and class A motorhomes. Several assumptions in this conclusion but it should be close.

Nick

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nick, have you ever gotten a tag from a Trolley? I know Barth made at least a few. Maybe someone can dig one up so we could see how they tagged them.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
9604-Y0035-26TR-08 96 Trolley Ford 460 26

Danny, Tag for a 26 foot Trolley

Nick

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Danny, here is a page I made up for that trolley.

http://barthmobile.com/trolley.html

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, just had a brain flash!! THE TROLLEY IS THE ANSWER!! Bet they wouldn't have any trouble fitting the triplets in that!!
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
another command center would be the answer to your problem, but I don't know of one for sale.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post