Forums    General Discussions    Nearly Ready to Buy a Barth...Help Me!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nearly Ready to Buy a Barth...Help Me!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I apologize if you're offended by my getting an SOB, but there are some factors of which you're no doubt unaware:

1. I don't consider this my "final coach", even though I would have liked to have found one, or been able to afford it. As for the diesel sitting between my (ex-) wife and me, I'm divorced, but if it would be an irritant to her, that alone would dictate a diesel puller. Being a former marine engineer, I'm just a diesel guy.

2. In addition to the two 28's, I have called on five 30' Breakaways and one 32'. Four were on this forum. Two were sold, although the threads didn't indicate that. One (not on this forum) never responded to calls or email. Another (also not on this forum) has been for several weeks evasive and vague about the condition and other details. The last one (whom I did contact) described the coach more warmly than someone who saw it, so I canceled my plans to go see it. The 32' I called on sold two days before I was to look at it (I don't know how I'd have gotten it in here...).

3. Although I can't confirm the driveability, there have been many posts in threads about concerns on the very short wheelbase of the 28' Breakaways, and I appreciate the comments made here regarding those doubts; some doubts have even been expressed on the wheelbase of the 30' Breakaway.

4. I've set my sights in the future on a 32' Regency (because you posted the photos of one). I can't afford one now. Sorry.

5. I wonder how many Barth owners on this forum chose Barth for the first, or even second or third motorhome?

6. So if you think my current choice is a refutation of you, other members, or this forum, you're quite mistaken. I enjoy this forum, and have benefitted greatly from the advice, comments, and cameraderie. That's why I posted my current choice and why I was impelled to make it. I would rather have a Barth, but I can't afford the one (32' Regency) that would meet my needs, and couldn't get it into my place anyway.

So if you or anyone else has taken offense by my not being able to afford or park the Barth I'd like to have, feel free to delete my posts and expunge my membership. I'd have no problem with that.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I admire your aplomb, your tact, and your display of class in the face of some rude, insulting, and unnecessary remarks. Individual choices are one's personal business. No one has the right to bad-mouth another because they made a choice different from their own.

I've enjoyed your posts on Barthmobile, and have followed your search for the ideal rig. So you've decided it is a Trek. So what. That's your choice. That's your right. That's your business. I support your right and your decision.

If my supportive remarks get me thrown off Barthmobile, or my remarks are edited out? Well, that will demonstrate an entirely different level of class.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
I've enjoyed your posts on Barthmobile, and have followed your search for the ideal rig. So you've decided it is a Trek. So what. That's your choice. That's your right. That's your business. I support your right and your decision.

You like what you like. Anybody who has spent that amount of time looking for a coach and finding something "that suits them" shouldn't have there hat handed to them

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
By the way, in the 5 years this site has been up I think there has been only 3 times when people have got out of line and I think twice it was me....

Make that 4 and 3. Sorry Dave but that was rude.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill and all, this is a Barth website. None of us were born yesterday and we know there are other nice coaches out that. But this is a Barth website. Can yoy imagine someone going to an Airstream website and announcing they just bought an Alumiscape or a Scamp. What's the point of that. There are huge websites and forums for everyother kind of motorhome. IRV2.com, rv.net, escapees.com which are non-specific brand websites. I have spent a ton of time on all of those sites. I was a moderator at one time on irv2. But this is a brand specific website, it's a Barth website. Now I am sure there are tons of folks who are registered here who do not own Barths but you do not see them comparing their coaches to our beloved Barths.

Deb and I were in southern Minnesota a couple years ago and in a field by the side of a house was a 1960 something Barth travel triler. It immediatly caught our eye. You can always tell a Barth a mile away. I stoped and looked at the quality of the manufacture of that coach. I had sold Airstreams and was aware of the quality of that coach. I would have taken that old Barth in a second.

I have seen many other brand coaches, and I have seen things about them that I like. If I mention them to Deb it is like I just critized my daughter appearance so I won't do it there and I won't do it here. This here is Barth country...

-----------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Indeed this is a Barth website. Barth exclusivity, Barth snobbery, & Barth chauvinism are fine. I, too think Barths are the best. But the man found the coach he wanted, and thought we'd be pleased for him even though it isn't a Barth. He found out rudely that not all of us are. He didn't deserve the rudeness,

I guess i'm cut from different cloth, I'm so crude I even say please and thank you to store clerks and waitresses. Just the other day a local waitress proudly showed me her engagement ring. I was pleased for her and complimented her even though I'm not into diamonds, especially ones you an barely see. But that's just me.

I apologize to any who may be offended by my concern for courtesy and respect to others.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
Bill and all, this is a Barth website.

Agreed. The fact that he chose another coach is his business. I think he might be making a mistake to go for something of lesser quality but that's just me. He chose what he chose and we should say something like...

Good luck with your new coach, it won't be your last! he, he, he..,

or something like

That bed is a nightmare and the cabinets are particle board. The quality is not up to par with a Barth but good luck with your purchase.

and even a...

Please don't post the picture, just a reminder that this is a Barth website.

The way it was said just sounded mean. I would think tolerance goes farther. I like coming to this site and like anything Barth but to dump on Rusty like that is wrong.

Maybe I'm the only one that thought that comment was mean spirited but I doubt it.

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.TruckRoadService.com/

"Without Trucks,

America Stops"

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
I apologize to any who may be offended by my concern for courtesy and respect to others.

Good one Olroy

I apologize too and for the same reasons

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I don't think I was rude. I did not attack Rusty, he hasn't bought the coach yet.

But this is not the first time that recently a non Barth owner has made a negative statement about Barths. We are all guite aware of the shortcomings of our 20 year old coaches. This site is for the building up and enhancing the value of our coaches. If someone wants to announce that they chose a SOB over our beloved Barth then do it elsewhere.

I know this is the new generation where we must learn to "accept", "respect" and "value" everyones decisions, but come on a Trek over a Breakaway. Give me a Break...away.

Here's what the guts of a Barth look like...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Dave on this one. There is nothing like a Barth. One of my fist jobs was working with my father in a RV dealership and I learned real fast about quality. The first time a customer came in with a Barth my Dad bought it from him. It was just so much better than anything else out there. 29 years later it is still rock solid. When was the last time you saw a 29 year old SOB that wasn't parked in a ditch with weeds growing through it?
Brad

------------------
1977 29' CLASS EH!

Posts: 27 | Location: Langley. BC | Member Since: 09-28-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
...a non Barth owner has made a negative statement about Barths.

I read his post and nowhere did I see any badmouthing. He even said...

"Both are aluminum construction, although it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the "real" rivets on the Barth, and the greater number of rows."

"I'm picking the Trek, but for reasons suited to my use of a motorhome, not because I wouldn't rather have a Barth:"

I think the smaller P30 chassis is a mistake over a Spartan and I also think the Trek is less of a rig. That's a fact that no-one here would argue.

I like Rusty and Dave but for Rusty to say "So if you or anyone else has taken offense by my not being able to afford or park the Barth I'd like to have, feel free to delete my posts and expunge my membership. I'd have no problem with that." there was feelings that were stepped on.

I think Rusty should buy the Barth and for me it would be a no-brainer but for him it's something else...He wants that Trek for "his use" not yours or mine.

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.TruckRoadService.com/

"Without Trucks,

America Stops"

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty! Is it to late to talk you out of that Trek? You really are making a mistake. The P30 chassis doesn't compare with the Spartan blah, blah, blah,

That sounds alot better then the other Post that was left.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Nice looking coaches. Are you sure you want that Trek Rusty?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty, before you buy a Trek, talk to me. I had one--note the past tense "had".
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I thank everyone for the comments; I didn't consider any to have been rude, just rightfully enthusiastic about Barths.

The posting about my non-Barth choice wasn't to cause thread drift, or to inject an SOB into the Barth forum, and has been pointed out by a couple of posts, it ain't yet a done deal....

Thanks to my own research and this forum I recognize that this SOB isn't in the same league as a Barth. I can overlook its shortcomings, as I expect to keep it only a few years. At least I won't have to lug my 300 lbs of astronomical gear into the cabin anymore, until I can afford a 32' Regency.

Anyway, since I started this thread, I thought the polite thing to do, rather than quietly abandoning it and slinking away, was to let folks know where it ended up, and why.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post