Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Insurance Coverage
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted
I just added my Regal to my regular automobile policy and the premium is about what I pay for a regular car. I used to be a part owner of SOB and I thought our premium was less than $300 at that time. What do others do to insure their coaches? Are there specialty insurers that are more affordable and or provide coverage tailored more specifically for this type of vehicle?

1985 25' Regal 454

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
While Progressive and Foremost (Farmers) have long specialized in RV policies, you are often better off with the property/casualty carrier who has your home and auto. Bundling will usually get you better rates. The premium is a nominal amount, in relationship to the original vehicle price, because of the minimized exposure. A motor home is seldom driven as a commuting and shopping vehicle. They are usually driven relatively few miles per year, little of which is in urban high-risk conditions. While I can't site statistical data, I believe they would show excellent loss ratios for RV's.
Bundling not only gets you premium discounts, it also gives you leverage. Whenever there might be a first party claim disagreement, the carrier does not want to win that battle at the cost of losing your home, auto, life, umbrella policies.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
First make sure they understand you are NOT a fulltimer. Explain you are using the MH only for limited miles i.e. 3-5000 mi a year. We had Barth insurance with Progressive for $186/year (agreed value 10,000)
for our collector cars with limited mi (3000/yr) we got a better deal with American Modern and they do RVs too. GmAC wanted like $500 fpr one year for the Barth. Good driving record helps too. Make sure you get an actual value for total loss otherwise it is NADA which results in nada.zilch.nothing.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree. My Barth, insured with a Stated Amount of $40,000, $500 deductible, costs about $700/year. Some companies require an inspection for older RVs.

quote:
Make sure you get an actual value for total loss otherwise it is NADA which results in nada.zilch.nothing.

Not quite. There are four basic adjustment bases:

1. Replacement Cost: Replace totalled property with new of like kind and quality.
2. Actual Cash Value (ACV): Fair market value at time of loss; for most vehicles, this is the basis.
3. Stated Amount: The LESSER of Stated Amount or ACV.
4. Agreed Amount: The fixed policy amount agreed by the insuror. This is the coverage most beneficial for classic, collectible, exotic, and antique vehicles. In most cases, a recent appraisal is required.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Meant stated value

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Insurance rates vary greatly by state and your driving history. When I had 3 vehicles (daily driver, a classic car, and the RV), I had 3 different policies with 3 different companies. Bundling for discounts did nothing to help my cause. I had Progressive for the RV ($300/year) and Hagerty for the classic car ($135/year), agreed cash value policies on both.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post