Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel prices
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I think it is much more complex a problem. Because of the great distances folks travel in American and because we really do not have a very advanced rapid transit system cars are much more a necessity here. I lived in southern Germany for 2 years once in a little town called Murnau. It was far south near Oberammergau, Garmish and the Austrian border. We went everywhere on the train. The baunhof was in the center of town and many people in Murnau worked in Munich and Augsberg which as I recall was some 90KM away. However, a 2 hour train ride in the morning was very comfortable, they would come by and serve rolls and coffee etc. On the way home they served sandwiches and beer.

In the winter the trains were full of skiers. They had attached cars full of ski's and back packs. In those days, 19669-70, you could buy a Eurailpass for $65.00 $250DM at the time, and for a certain number of months, (I can't recall how many) you could go anywhere in Europe, except the Iron Curtain countries.

Before I moved to the Midwest in 1976 I lived in Simi Valley, CA and worked in Chatsworth. That was considered a short drive. The guy who bought my house in Simi, (get this Bill H) worked at Garrett Airresearch Inc. down there on Century near the air port. I am sure you've driven by there a million times.

Now not to drag this out but, if you look on a Minneapolis map, we live in a southwest suburb of Minneapolis and when we moved here over 20 years ago this was rural, man... Now we are almost an inner ring suburb. My wife drives right down town to the Star Tribune and that takes here 25 minutes... There are people who live an hour west of here who work at the Star and they all drive.

So I know that gas prices are a bummer but really they need to get much higher than they are to effect peoples way of life. Her get this, I was talking with a guy today who pays $350.00 per week for childcare for his two little girls. They would save money if his wife quit working.. Think she is going to do that...not a chance.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by playerslight77:
I agree with you BillNY, but most North Americans think that cheap gas is some sort of birthright. Maybe we've just been lucky.

I don't think of cheap gas as a birthright, but I object to the obscene profits and market manipulation that we have now.

As far as Europe goes, much of their gasoline price is taxes, which pay for pretty good public transportation, which means most workers don't drive to work or shop. It also means you pay more in taxes so you don't have to buy gas. Bicyclists are provided safe pathways, too. In my state, gas taxes are siphoned off for all sorts of things.
\
And, of course, gas is higher in much of Europe because they have to import all petroleum.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Foothills today... gas 3.02 , 3.12, and 3.22 diesel is now 3.01 guess somebody heard me. Saw where gas in Venusuela (sp?) is 12 cents a gallon.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post