Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What do you think about this
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I know we are all Motorhome folk, but I have been looking at this Barth Continental travel trailer on Ebay. If I had the money, talent and time I would take this:

And turn it into this:

this is a 1946 Spartan Mansion

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The Spartan is/was, a Deusy. Spartan Aircraft Co. went into the trailer house business after WW II. There are still a few around, and it's plain this one has been lovingly restored. The quality was too high to compete price-wise. Something like the difference between Barths and cookie cutter motorhomes.

Many Spartans were in the size range of today's R.V.'s, though they were designed for living, not travel.

Sometime in the late '60s, after GM came out with fwd Toronados and Caddies, I saw an article, probably in TrailerLife, where someone had grafted a GM fwd front end on one, and turned it into a motorhome.

Don't know how well it worked, but maybe it generated the idea that became the Toronado drive-train GMC motorhome of the 1970's.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Wow Dave, that's incredible. You could tow it behind your rig and the kids and in-laws could stay in it while you rest peacefully in your coach...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan L&H, by the way, I get in trouble back here when I tell people that I like your Costa Mesa Mall much better than the Mall of America. The water draw you in.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too cool, acutually doesn't look in bad shape at all. Lots of elbow grese needed. I've my hands full already. If and when I ever finish it, Im not sure what I'll do with myself Happy Camping!

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Hey Dave, are you referring to "South Coast Plaza shopping Mall " in Costa Mesa? If so, it is amazing how a shopping center can attract folks from overseas too. Very popular mall for the Japanese. I'm not sure why.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post