Forums    General Discussions    22ft going for it's first long drive in over 10 years
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

22ft going for it's first long drive in over 10 years
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DesmoPilot
posted
Leaving for the Atlanta area next week to attend the Petit Le Mans and I have decided to drive the Barth. Planning on going 65 south the whole way. Looking for any advice that anyone may have to offer. I have never driven anything this large through mountains. The one thing I know for sure is to not ride the brakes. Past that, I'm planning on staying right and going only as fast as I feel safe.

This coach hasn't been on any real substantial drive on over 10 years. Did a lap around the beltway this week to double check for problems. No issues. I have replaced the brakes (every bit of the braking system. everything.), six new tires, new front springs, air helpers, shocks, sway bar bits, a full tune up, new carb, oil change, and coolant flush. Many bits like plug wires and other rubber and rubber like parts have been exchanged. I have spare fuses, bulbs, even spare marker/clearance lights. Jumper cables. Spare battery. Tools and electrical tester. Rain-X. I'll even be carrying 5 gal of gas. Yes, I'm a bit paranoid.

Anything I'm forgetting? Anything to pay extra attention to? Any advice?

As always, thank you for anything you have to offer!

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis | Member Since: 04-28-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
A cooler with beer ROTFLMAO
KB seal for your radiator. Little blue bottle. Works good.
Wouldn't you going 65 - 24 - 75? Only mountain is Monteagle in TN but you will be alright. Not towing just drive a car, take it easy in curves.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
A cooler with beer ROTFLMAO
KB seal for your radiator. Little blue bottle. Works good.
Wouldn't you going 65 - 24 - 75? Only mountain is Monteagle in TN but you will be alright. Not towing just drive a car, take it easy in curves.

I won't be bringing any beer. Hall County, GA is a dry county and alcoholic beverages are not allowed inside the Road Atlanta facilities. I certainly wouldn't want to break any laws. It won't be so bad sitting in the Georgia sun for 4 days, watching racing, not drinking any beer. I'm sure sweet tea will be a wonderful substitute. Much to my delight, I have found sweet tea conveniently packaged in 12oz cans. Curiously, they are labeled Budweiser. Ain't that crazy???

Thanks for the KB seal tip. Can never have too much insurance.

Going down 65 so that I can swing thru Nashville and visit a friend.

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis | Member Since: 04-28-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mountain braking technique is to apply the brakes vigorously to slow, then completely release, then apply again when the speed rises to your personal limit.

Have a safe trip and have fun at the races! Tooling Along

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Mountain braking technique is to apply the brakes vigorously to slow, then completely release, then apply again when the speed rises to your personal limit.
Tooling Along

Right! Stab 'em.... Don't hold 'em
did a lot of that on my trip from MI to CA and back

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
We will be there in our Regency for the fourth straight year. Who said its dry? The parties go on all night and everyone can bring their own adult beverages, just no selling. I do not remember if they sell beer but I think so. We are inside in reserved Rv near turn 9-10. Where are you setting up?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
We will be there in our Regency for the fourth straight year. Who said its dry? The parties go on all night and everyone can bring their own adult beverages, just no selling. I do not remember if they sell beer but I think so. We are inside in reserved Rv near turn 9-10. Where are you setting up?

From the Road Atlanta website:

NOTE: Due to Hall county ordinance, no alcoholic beverages may be brought into the facility. All vehicles subject to search.

Not that it has ever stopped me in a dozen plus visits to the track. Or stopped anyone else for that matter. And you are very, very correct...the party runs all night. Frankly, all week. We will be set up in 10A/10B on the inside of the track with all the non-reserved RVs and tent campers. Kind of across the pavement from the vendors area. My personal preference is to camp in turn 1 at the bottom of the hill, but the folks I'm meeting up with are loyal to 10A/10B. Plus, getting into turn 1 for the Petit is not the easiest accomplishment.

Would love to check your Barth out! Have yet to see another one in person that runs. I'm afraid that mine is not too easy on the eyes in it's current state and I am always looking for ideas for the winter gut and rebuild.

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I am guessing you have a Chevy chassis? What year?

Bring along an HEI module or a whole extra distributor, bring along another fuel pump, try to keep your tank filled so a failure of the fuel pickup doesn't ruin your day. The rubber hoses between the fuel tank and the steel lines are a concern. Bring a voltmeter. Be prepared to rewire the grounding. Bring along another fan clutch.

>Yes, I'm a bit paranoid.
Not at all.

When the "isolator" failed late in the afternoon for me, near the south rim of the Grand Canyon, I was happy to have a battery charger with me and a 100' of extension cord that I could plug in to an exterior wall outlet at an unmanned ranger station.

happy motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DesmoPilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
I am guessing you have a Chevy chassis? What year?

It sure is. It is an 86 w/454. My Barth was (and kinda really still is) a Bookmobile. No RV bits like a bed, windows, water, or seating. That is all coming this winter.

I have a whole cabinet of extra parts, will have to go through them to see if I do indeed have a spare fuel pump. I'm thinking I saw one.....

Thanks for the advice!

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:

Bring along an HEI module or a whole extra distributor,

Sometimes used cam A will not like used dist gear B. Better to put the same gear onto the replacement distributor.

quote:

When the "isolator" failed late in the afternoon for me, near the south rim of the Grand Canyon, I was happy to have a battery charger with me and a 100' of extension cord that I could plug in to an exterior wall outlet at an unmanned ranger station.

If the generator works, a 1 ft cord is all you need to make a jumper. Or maybe just drive on the house batteries. Depending on the size of the house battery bank, an engine can drive a lot of miles without lights.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An '86 454. OK, check if you have Chevy option 7N4! What that is, is an aluminum bracket from a third-party vendor, to hold a Sanden AC compressor for dashboard AC. This feature doesn't seem to be well documented in the diagrams that many mechanics have easy access to in the work bays. You should have two belts which go from the crankshaft pulley around the hydroboost pump pulley. The belts should be 3/8" wide. Some mfrs have outsourced to China and what is specified as being 3/8" comes back as 10mm or 11mm. I have seen one brand that comes back with both! Double check the routing of the belts and make sure all belts are where they are supposed to be, and that no mechanic left off a belt or had a belt skip over to the next groove. If you have the right belts in the right grooves, this is a robust and reliable accessory drive system. If not, you will share the frustration of many other RV owners and I have found many websites where people complain about the belts.

At a minimum, bring a spare set of belts.
Happy Motoring,
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 years.... What is the condition of the exhaust system? Perhaps bringing a few extra pipe clamps and "universal hangers" would be prudent, but not paranoid! And plumbers putty could be a stopgap measure for a loud muffler. These things are cheap and easy to stow.
Happy Motoring,
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Had to go back and re-read your original post. I was going to mention brake lines but you say the whole brake system is new, so I assume ALL the rubber lines are new? If not, replace them. They swell shut and won't allow fluid to be released back to the master cylinder, and the brakes burn up.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post