Forums    General Discussions    Empty weight of 34' Regency, Engine brake???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Empty weight of 34' Regency, Engine brake???
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted
Is the empty weight published somewhere or will I have to put it on a scale? The data tag says GVW 29,000 (19,000 rear and 10,000 front).

Were any Barths equiped with an engine brake, exhaust brake, etc? Mine doesn't have an engine brake of any kind and I'm thinking of installing one but not sure which way to go. The transmission is a MD-3060 which makes it expensive to convert, or so I'm told. Thanks in advance.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I already know... but why don't you tell the rest of us what coach you bought. That way I can put it in your avatar. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Let me guess is it black with three stripes that step down from the top back to the lower front. Confused

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Nick,

You're almost right. Actually it's white on top, blue on the bottom with two black strips and two copper colored (I think) strips in between. If you look in coaches sold it is the one listed by Ed in Ohio. The complete equipment list and data tag is also published there for all to see.

Roman

300 HP Cummins

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Roman, I see that you have a spartan chassis. I have a Regency 32 ft and had it weighed with a full full 100 gallon tank and full propane and no water and no sewage and nothing in the coach except for me and two suitcases. On the CAT scales, mine wighed 26,200 pounds and grossed at 29,640 on the tag. My coach is on a gillig chassis.
sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Sky,

Thanks for the info. I guess the best way to find out is to put it on the scales like you did. Does your Regency have an engine brake of any kind?

Roman

300 HP Cummins

Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot. How do I get basic information about my Barth (kind of like a signature) at the bottom of my post? I have my signature option checked and I thought that would do it but it doesn't show up.

Roman

300 HP Cummins

Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
No engine brake. I do have a Williams exhaust brake. When it is used, the transmission shifts down and holds it back. I don't think you can have an engine brake on a 3208, I might be corrected on that.
My coach does have a allisson 643 transmission.
It just cost about
$8.00 to have the coach weighed at a flying J or pilot station.
I see you have the 300 hp cummins, I don think they come with an engine brake either, but I feel sure you can get a exhaust brake for it. With that transmision, I would get the new PacBrake PBX or what it is called. There has been some good reviews on that exhaust brake.
I sure would like to drive one with 300 hp and se how much difference is in it. Mine has 250 hp and it will flat roll but the torque is not there when you hit the mountains.
By the way, that is a very nice looking coach, congratulations! Hope you can bring to one of the barth get togethers soon!
sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Click on "Go to" and then click on profile settings and fill it in there. If you have any questions, Bill NY or Rusty is the pc gurus here. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Gravel pits have large truck scales you can often use for free to weigh your RV, if there's one close by. Call ahead and ask, or use it to go pick up some rock and you're guaranteed a free use. Wink

Also while RV's are not required to be weighed at interstate weigh stations, I've heard some of those places will weigh you for free also. Again call ahead first, because they may not want an RV pulling in if it's a busy day with semi trucks.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cat Scales charges $8 (or at least they did) and you'll get a front and rear weight.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
You have an 8.3 cummins and they didn't make an engine brake for that engine. The best you can do is go with an exhaust brake. There is no way to retro-fit (or make fit) an engine brake to an 8.3 cummins. The head and pistons are different, among other things. The easiest way would be to drop an ISL into it. It is the same size and would max out the 3060 trans capabilities.

From what I have gathered, the Barths with engine brakes are limited to those with larger (10 liter plus) in line 6 cylinder engines, such as the 3176 Cat and L10 and ISM cummins. I don't know if earlier V config engines had them. It only came on a heavy duty engine, and an 8.3 is considered medium duty (although an ISL is now considered medium too, and it has one available). I hope my ramblings haven't been too hard to follow, but I think you are out of luck unless someone makes an aftermarket product, and I doubt it, due to the high cost and limited demand.

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
gupman,

Thanks for the input. My terminolgy was not quite right. I was thinking of a pac brake/transmission brake of sorts. Either way, it will be a while before I get an aux brake of any kind for it.

Roman

300 HP Cummins

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
That way I can put it in your avatar. Wink
Congratulations on your "New Barth" Roman!!! Smiler

I didn't want to spoil your announcement so I was anxiously waiting for your to announce your purchase. You now have a new avatar to show off. If anyone else wants one, let me know.

When you do figure out your weight, would you please post it back here for future references. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post