Forums    General Discussions    Learning the systems.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Learning the systems.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted
After purchasing two Barth's, I still don't understand the systems controls of either unit. I am wondering if there is someone in Wisconsin that would be willing to meet with me and go over this with me. Lot's of buttons bells and whistles to figure out!! AC/DC/LP. HELP!!
Rick

Posts: 96 | Location: Fall River, WI | Member Since: 10-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with the systems, but I would like to welcome you to the Mary Ray Club of multiple Barths.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
They're pretty much the same on all RV's, just located in different places (as far as controls go). Are you camping in your Barth yet? I bet there are lots of folks in nearby campgrounds who may be willing to help. As far as the ones you mentioned...

AC = Alternating Current, or the 110v "house power" that uses regular-looking plug receptacles throughout the RV. The converter/charger is the device that changes the 12v battery current into 110v household power.

DC = Direct Current... the 12v battery power that, just like all your cars, powers everything "driving" the RV. That juice comes from the 12v chassis (engine) battery. Most of the ceiling lights and many other house power items (that aren't plugged into receptacles) also run off of 12v power from the 1 or 2 house batteries.

LP = Liquid Propane... the gas used in most (all?) RV's for heating. Stoves, ovens, hot water heater, furnace all uses propane.

All of the above (and often more, like the Black Tank and Gray Tank readings) are usually monitored on a Control Panel... which I'm guessing you are referring to by "systems controls".

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Rick, welcome , A great way to have lots of folks see your Barth and anwser questions would be to see about a Mini GTG at Gov. Dodge or Yellowstone State Park close to you. Not that far from Ill,Minn,Iowa,Ind or Wis. Spring time would be nice and lots of things to do and see close by. Thumbs Up. All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StinkyDaddy:
I can't help

you with the systems, but I would like to welcome you to the Mary Ray Club of multiple Barths.

Ha1 who is Mary Ray?

These things are really classic. I'm a retired shop teacher. More fun!!

Posts: 96 | Location: Fall River, WI | Member Since: 10-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scotty,
We have slept in the 28' coach but not the 22'. Both furnaces worked initially but both are now only blowing cold air. The contro panel say 1/3 full lp. Both refriges worked intiially and now display "check". Similar othe circumstances lead me to ask "what am I missing. I'm a retired shop teacher nono Anyone who has adivecd please share.
Tha nks again scotty
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
They're pretty much the same on all RV's, just located in different places (as far as controls go). Are you camping in your Barth yet? I bet there are lots of folks in nearby campgrounds who may be willing to help. As far as the ones you mentioned...

AC = Alternating Current, or the 110v "house power" that uses regular-looking plug receptacles throughout the RV. The converter/charger is the device that changes the 12v battery current into 110v household power.

DC = Direct Current... the 12v battery power that, just like all your cars, powers everything "driving" the RV. That juice comes from the 12v chassis (engine) battery. Most of the ceiling lights and many other house power items (that aren't plugged into receptacles) also run off of 12v power from the 1 or 2 house batteries.

LP = Liquid Propane... the gas used in most (all?) RV's for heating. Stoves, ovens, hot water heater, furnace all uses propane.

All of the above (and often more, like the Black Tank and Gray Tank readings) are usually monitored on a Control Panel... which I'm guessing you are referring to by "systems controls".

Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sloop John B:
Rick, welcome , A great way to have lots of folks see your Barth and anwser questions would be to see about a Mini GTG at Gov. Dodge or Yellowstone State Park close to you. Not that far from Ill,Minn,Iowa,Ind or Wis. Spring time would be nice and lots of things to do and see close by. Thumbs Up. All who wander are not lost.

I'll try Gov Dodge in the spring. A Mini GTG???

Thanks Sloop

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Mini GTG???

[quote]Who is Mary Ray? [Quote]
A suggestion.
Go to the Barth opening Welcome page.
The left hand column has groups of forums listed,
take a little time sit back and peruse a bunch of those entries. It can become addicting,very informative and entertaining. You will also get to know a lot of Barthmobile.com members.
Try it! You'll like it.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick & Marcia:
Both furnaces worked initially but both are now only blowing cold air. The contro panel say 1/3 full lp. Both refriges worked intiially and now display "check". Similar othe circumstances lead me to ask "what am I missing.

The two problems (furnace and fridge) could be related if there is a problem with LP flow. Does the fridge work on electrical power at all?

To make sure LP is flowing freely (air bubbles can settle in lines and "block" gas flow), try to light your stovetop burners. If they light, let them burn on HIGH for a minute or two. That should purge any air from the lines. Then try your furnace and fridge again.

(If the fridge doesn't work on electrical power already, then it's probably a separate problem.)

You could have the LP tank filled too. It may be too low to push the right amount of gas through the lines. The gauges should be used as guidelines and not exact units of measure... example, who here HASN'T run out of gas in their car before when the gauge still showed there should be a little bit left in the tank? Wink

In the furnace and fridge panels (from the outside of the rig), look for any loose spade connectors or any other hanging/corroded wires or connections. Little electrical problems can cause what you've described too.

Try those things and report back!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If by control panel you mean the Barth panel,find your LP tank and see what the gauge says there. I thought I had plenty of LP this fall because I used the Barth gauge, but luckily found out I don't get 3 years of LP out of 1 tank in time for Dega, so I could get it filled locally and not get ripped too bad. Also, I now close the valve whenever I'm not going to use LP for a while. Not sure if there are any leaks,[I have it tested every 2 years] but it's too expensive to let it go into the air. BTW, the local shop charges me $35 for a check. [1/2 hour]

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
1)Does your gas burner on stove work? Can you hear your water heater light?

2)Turn off LP(ck that it's off by trying to start burner on stove)

Does fridge work on shore power?

3)Leave LP off, start barth, turn fridge on. Let run for at least a minute or two before giving up on fridge.

What are results of 1, 2, 3

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Scotty,
We have slept in the 28' coach but not the 22'. Both furnaces worked initially but both are now only blowing cold air. The contro panel say 1/3 full lp. Both refriges worked intiially and now display "check". Similar othe circumstances lead me to ask "what am I missing. I'm a retired shop teacher nono Anyone who has adivecd please share.
Tha nks again scotty

The LPG indicator lights are notoriously inaccurate; try the stove to see if you have gas. Another cause for the symptoms you describe is low battery voltage. Both the reefer and furnace require a minimum voltage.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dubbs!! It's all new to me. Lucikly I am retired and have nothing better to do than restore two already excellent Barths. I'm a 40 year motorcycle guy.couple. This is going to be a fun year!!!
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
[QUOTE]A Mini GTG???

quote:
Who is Mary Ray? [Quote]
A suggestion.
Go to the Barth opening Welcome page.
The left hand column has groups of forums listed,
take a little time sit back and peruse a bunch of those entries. It can become addicting,very informative and entertaining. You will also get to know a lot of Barthmobile.com members.
Try it! You'll like it.

Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
When we got home the coach was running. Next day the battery was dead. I plugged the coach in. FINALLY Found a switch (my otherr doesn't have) that says "turn off when driving" "on.... I do believe it has been an electrical problem as you suggest.
Good Man Rusty!

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Thanks Scotty,
Tha nks again scotty

The LPG indicator lights are notoriously inaccurate; try the stove to see if you have gas. Another cause for the symptoms you describe is low battery voltage. Both the reefer and furnace require a minimum voltage.

Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
Both stoves work.

quote:
When we got home the coach was running. Next day the battery was dead. I plugged the coach in. FINALLY Found a switch (my otherr doesn't have) that says "turn off when driving" "on.... I do believe it has been an electrical problem as you suggest.
Good Man Rusty!

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Thanks Scotty,
Tha nks again scotty