Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1989 barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm looking at a 1989 34' barth. The seller is a used car lot and doesn't know a thing about motorhomes. I've owned several but don't know anything about Barth's. He wants $30000. It's a 460 gas pusher. 50000 miles. John Deere chasis. Can anyone educate me, point me in the right direction? What is fuel economy expected? He says it's a 4-speed allison. Help!

Posts: 5 | Location: charlotte nc usa | Member Since: 10-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The book value on this coach is $15.7K to 18.9K. Does this coach have a tag axel? By the way the proper length nomenclature is 33 foot. Then never counted the bumper.

One nice thing about the John Deere chassis is that they were the first "basement" type coaches which allowed for more storage.

In the photo below the first coach is a 1989 28 foot John Deere, and the next is a 1989 33 foot Chevy P-30 chassis. Can you tell the difference between the heigth of the grill assy.

The negative, was a front leaf spring suspension which some report was a stiff ride. But I have been told this can be over come with Bilstein shocks. And, some people like a little stiffer drive. One could get seasick in my Chevy P-30

Check the Allison transmission, maybe, but I don't recall Ford engines with Allison trannys. Most likely an E40D 4 speed, or was that a 3 speed with overdrive?

There are a lot of really satisfied Ford/John Deere owners out there. The John Deere/Oshkosh/Intentional Harvester now Freightliner chassis was used on probably every major motorhome from Foretravel to Winnebago. All parts are readily available and any RV shop or even truck shop should be able to service everything from brakes to Carburetor.

by the way Jim and Tere, welcome to Barthmobile.com. Here's to a lot of new adventures for you.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 27, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply Dave. Can you tell me what kind of fuel economy to expect? Also, where can I find general info on Barth's history, how they were built, etc. I'm getting the impression that they are special units and I want to learn everything about them I can. I may not buy this one (looks like it's over priced) but my interest is sure high. Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: charlotte nc usa | Member Since: 10-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
You will see mileage in the 6-9 area, more like the 8 area. You can buy headers from Thorley or Banks and a couple other guys which will give you more torque and horse power. they claim more mileage also but don't believe it.

By email, I sent you two PDF files. One is the history of Barth and one is the brochure for the coach you are looking at.

As far as price is concerned. Remember, this guy has no idea what the price should be. Go to www.nada.com and print out the sheet and show it to him. Like I have told others, if this is the coach you want and if you have your check book in your had, you would be surprised at what miracles could happen. And, let me say, if the coach is in good condition and all of the components work. Don't worry about paying a little more for it.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
First – Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox. World Series Champs!

As we all know, I have a 1989, Barth Regal on a John Deere Chassis. It has the Ford 460 Carbureted engine with a full banks and a C6 3 speed transmission. It has a 228" wheelbase which makes it comfortable and stable. Leaf springs, larger storage compartments than the 'P chassis' equivalent. Gas mileage is about 6 in New England - and 8 in the mid west. I live in this unit for the most part of the year and even use it for contract work assignments and even shopping trips.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Jimandtere notes that this is a "gas pusher. " True? Or is the engine in front? There was a gas pusher advertised by a dealer somewhere in the Midwest a year ago, or so, but someone checked it out and found it had been "rode hard, and put away wet." Gas pushers are rare birds.

Any motorhome on a used car lot whose operator doesn't know a thing about motorhomes, should be checked out thoroughly, likewise a private party rig.

My private party '90, 33' Regal SE, purchased last January at 90% of NADA low book, had been used regularly up until a year before I bought it. Still, I've put 6 months of spare time work (I don't move very fast any more) and about $4 grand in it, to bring it up to snuff. Nothing really major, but 42 items on the do-list are completed thus far. It still ain't gonna win no concourse d'elegance, but almost everything works, and it should be reliable now.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info Dave. My computer won't accept the files you sent. Could you make copies and mail them to me? I'll send you some cash to cover the expense. This is a pusher. I'll know more this weekend about type of engine and tranny. NADA doesn't show a model with a gas pusher, so I'm not sure what this is yet. Thanks for your help.

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Man, sometimes I wonder if I'm getting dimentia. I read your post at least three times and the gas pusher part just didn't register. I think that we have had just a couple of these gas pushers. I think we have had more diesel pullers on a John Deere chassis. I know that others can be more authoritive about this but I know that some big diesel pushers have a problem with airflow and dirt getting into the radiator. I wonder how effect this setup is.

What ever, I would realllly! get the best deal possible.

------------------

posted Hide Post
Hi there Jimantere!! I drive an 89 SOB on a John Deere chassis (Freightliner) which is powered by a carburated (sp?) Ford 460. Have been pleased with service and performance of both. Dealer support from Freightliner has been very satisfying. Although we like the SOB--we are searching for a Barth. Would appreciate your forwarding your findings on this coach and if you decide not to buy could you forward dealer information to me at chartrue@AOL.com
Good luck with your deal. Keep us posted.

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got to see and drive the '89 Barth that had a gas pusher. It was a 460 Ford fuel injected hooked to a Cummins 4-speed. Papers inside showed a drawing that looked like a house floor plan and it was called a 34' --- B2. Is it possible that it is a 34' Regency that was ordered with a gas engine instead of the diesel engine that was standard? It had a very spacious side bath. John Deere chasis(basement model) but again papers inside talked about an Oskosh chasis. Can anybody shed shome light on this mystery? the engine was gutless, no pickup whatsoever. It's for sale at $29900 if anyone is interested. It's in great shape.

posted Hide Post
Yes! I'm interested! Can you forward or post information about who/how to contact seller? Please post or forward to me at chartrue@aol.com. Many thanks.

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chast--I've tried to email you several times at chartrue@aol.com but each time it comes back "user unknown" Tell me your phone # and I'll call you with the info.
Jim

posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim! Sorry for the confusion but I just changed ISP and my new e-mail address is chartrue2@aol.com. Sorry bout that! If you would rather call me, my number is 856-296-3539. Apreciate the follow up.