Forums    General Discussions    How many of you carry a spare tire?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How many of you carry a spare tire?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I was just curious how many Barthmobilers carry a spare? And I'm really curious to hear from you 92 30 Breakaway owners where you carry your spare? Or what do you do if you have no place to carry a spare?

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 92 30' Breakaway that I recently bought from Tom St.Clair. I don't have a place to carry a spare as the Breakaway seems to have very little external storage. I've been considering of going to the Safewide/boxer wheels and tires, but I'm afraid if you needed one of the oddball 315/60-18 Nitto tires these rims require you'd really be screwed on the road and there's no room for one spare much less two different sizes.
Mike

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

It is really surprizing how many new coaches do not come with spare tires. Not much that you can do with a spare tire by your self anyway. And by the way on the Boxers I think you regular type tire will fit on the rim. At least that is the case with mine.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
But Dave, if you have a spare, roadside assist can at least help....otherwise what do people do?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Safewide/Boxer wheels I looked at take a 18" tire. Size 315/60-18. I'd be surprised if my tires would fit on that size rim.
Mike

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I could not imagine being without a spare. When we had twin beds, the spare rode in an outside compartment. Now that we have a double bed in the middle, the compartment is smaller. The spare is under the bed. A portion of the bed support is removable to allow the spare to be rolled out rather than lifted out. On long trips, we carry a bare naked tire on the roof, sort of a spare spare.

We also use this in all our vehicles:

http://gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?UID=200309261332...EN3=&GEN9=0&T1=64511

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I had spares on both my 21'er and my 27'er both on P30 running gear and used them all in my travels. In my 93 Breakaway I don't cary a spare because unless I wanted to lug it up on the roof there is no where to put it. Also the rig is just to heavy to monkey tires arround. Roadside towing is a must with the larger rigs.

All that being said if I was going to Alaska or Mexico I'd carry a spare.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too thought having a spare was a must. My 1980 has the rear mount with the crome Barth cover. Anyway sevral months ago I had a blow out on the rear. We were near a rest area and thought no problem pulled in called Triple*** to come out to change the tire, they said no problem should be 45 minutes or so. They called me back 20 minutes latter and said they could not find anyone could change it on a sunday. They could find someone to tow me but not change my tire. Go figure. I said if they can tow it they can lift it. I change the darn thing myself. They couldn't understand that. But informed me if I could find someone to change it they reumburse me. If they cant locate someone what makes them think I can. I guess one shouldn't travel on a Sunday I'm not real pleased with there motor coach end of service, although as far as cars and trucks their top notch. Guess I'll change when it's time for renewall.

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new-to-me 35' Regency has no spare. I will find a place to put one, because I think it is insane to be without one. I went to Harbor Freight, bought a 20ton air-over-hydraulic bottle jack and a 3/4" drive impact wrench and socket set... with BUDD wheel sockets... for around $200.00 total. I put a quick disconnect on one of my air line fittings in the rear engine compartment. With these you make quick work of a tire change, and don't even have to sweat! Let the air do the hard work. NO WAY am I going to wait for hours to have some guy come to my rig, take off the tire, then fix it... usually "back at the shop"... kill a DAY to change the tire? Do it yourself. A half an hour at most. Geeez.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Looks like Duteman answered my question. Rely on someone else or rely on yourself. I prefer to rely on myself.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Barth carries 10R-22.5 Tires and came with no spare. I had new tires mounted and kept the best one for a spare... The spare is carried on top corner tied to luggage rails... At Lowes I purchased a cover for our large picnic table (round) that zips in the middle and covered the tire with this..works fine and also out of weather etc.

Al Benton
88 Barth 40' Regency

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Al, did you purchase a new rim, or is just the tire on top? Bet that was fun getting up there. Our unit came with the proper socket to remove lugs, along with a breaker bar, and cheater pipes to gain needed the leverage, but no spare. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sling our tire with rim up on the roof into the luggage rack area and I recently bought a tire cover for it. It's so heavy that it requires two people to wrestle it up and down the rear later ladder. This is the only place I have found to keep it and I couldn't imagine traveling without a spare.

jack and daiva
1988 31ft barth regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Our Barth recently got new shoes. I called lots of tire shops, and found many shops could not mount 19.5 inch tires, so no deal.

I would hate to be somewhere on a Sunday with a flat and have to be back to work on Monday in that situation.

There is also the concern of the correct size and load rating being available.

In addition, many travellers in distress have been financially victimized by tire dealers.

Jack, have you considered mounting your spare on the rear bumper?

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited October 05, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale, I only carry the tire up there. To get the tire up there wasn't bad... Rigged me a (boatswains chair) hooked it to my tractor and up she went. Now when it's time to get it down..That's when that $79.00 a year for road service comes into play.

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post