Forums    General Discussions    How important is fuel mileage?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How important is fuel mileage?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
Well the accountant is coming out in me again, so bare with me. I was preparing a spreadsheet to see what our annual fuel cost would be at different fuel prices and mpg. Below is a chart that is based on driving 5,000 miles a year and an average price of fuel of $2.50 per gallon.

MPG-------Gallons-------Total Cost--------Cost per Mile------Savings for each Additional MPG
5---------1,000.00--------2,500.00------------0.50
6-----------833.33--------2,083.33------------0.42-----------------416.67
7-----------714.29--------1,785.71------------0.36-----------------297.62
8-----------625.00--------1,562.50------------0.31-----------------223.21
9-----------555.56--------1,388.89------------0.28-----------------173.61
10----------500.00--------1,250.00------------0.25-----------------138.89

I thought this interesting because we often over look the fact that an improvement from 6 to 7 mpg is worth more than twice what the savings in improvement from 9 to 10 mpg is worth.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:

I thought this interesting because we often over look the fact that an improvement from 6 to 7 mpg is worth more than twice what the savings in improvement from 9 to 10 mpg is worth.

Nick

My first scientific calculator was a TI SR51 in the early seventies. It had a Delta Percent (usually a triangle followed by a % sign) feature that I don't see any more.

I miss it greatly. Does anyone know of a calculator that has it?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
average price of fuel of $2.50 per gallon.

Interesting numbers indeed! Although unfortunately I'm afraid this price won't be around for long... they are already on the "summer rise" most places, although so far this year diesel is actually cheaper than unleaded.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In Tennessee, regular has gone from $1.75 to $2.25 in 5 weeks. That's close to 30% in spite of usage being down, inventories up, and a major economic recession. In my early days in the steel industry,the'60s, that would have brought the anti trust guys out from the feds. In fact, a few people from my company actually went to jail for price fixing on titanium sponge. U S Steel went to extraordinary lengths to teach new employees what they had to do to avoid the slightest impression of collusion with competitors. We were not allowed to even have a cup of coffee with an employee from a competitor. If we did and management found out, you would be fired!!
When was the last time anyone went to jail for price fixing in this country?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
I think TAR AND Feathers is more appropriate.
Dave R.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Interesting numbers Nick....Thanks!

There was a time when seasonal & political fuel price spikes were a real hot-button for me. I'd rant, whine, write nasty letters to Congress and generally just elevate my blood pressure over the issue. But slowly I realized that, other than the voting booth, I was pretty much on the losing side, so I just learned to adjust......

I'm convinced that a 454 gasser pushing a big box is engineered to get exactly 8mpg - no more, no less. Other than a light right foot, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities to improve that.

So my only effective option to control fuel costs is to modify trip length and therefore overall consumption, i.e.: When prices spike, 300 mile weekends become 200 mile weekends. Fortunately, there's still a zillion places to see and things to do within whatever trip radius we need to budget for, based on current fuel costs.

We faithfully plan and accomplish three long weekend trips per month, 8 months a year - it's an important part of our lifestyle. So we just put "X" dollars of gas in the tanks and go wherever that takes us, and no Fortune 500 CEO, Congressman or Sheik is gonna stop us! Smiler

...'Course, I have yet to try the mailorder super-magnet that gets attached to the fuel line to properly align the atoms and GUARANTEED to increase mileage 25-40% Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Interesting numbers Nick....Thanks!

I'm convinced that a 454 gasser pushing a big box is engineered to get exactly 8mpg - no more, no less.

Mine approaches that on level roads.

What few there are. Frowner

quote:
Other than a light right foot, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities to improve that.

Aye, there's the rub................. My heavy Barth pulling a 4WD really needs the right foot to climb.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the accountant is coming out in me again

quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

Delta Percent (usually a triangle followed by a % sign) feature that I don't see any more.

I miss it greatly. Does anyone know of a calculator that has it?

Nick, I have found that the TI BA II PLUS and the BA II Professional both have the Delta Percent feature.

Are you familiar with those calculators? Could you comment on the differences as related to a non-accountant? Do the extra features of the Professional interfere with its use for more basic functions?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Bill, sorry I can't help but I have gotten so use to using spreadsheets on the computer that I have not kept up with scientific calculators. The last time I even shopped for one I was amazed at how specialized they have become. There are now calculators for accountants, builders, engineers, and other occupations. My overall rule has always been buy the simplest tool that will do the job you need it to accomplish. Of course, we could go get the old slide rule out of the desk drawer and amaze the kids with the magic stick Smiler

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, we could go get the old slide rule out of the desk drawer and amaze the kids with the magic stick Smiler

Nick
I tried to amaze one of mine. He looked at it, pondered, and said, "Looks like it adds and subtracts logarithms. Pretty neat."

I keep one in the Barth for calculating the height of my leveling ramps. Its batteries seem to last forever.