Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

BREAKAWAY QUESTIONS
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello, this is my first post after lurking for over a year. My name is Will and I am a Safari TREK owner. I have decided to take the cure, beg the sage advice of the Barthmobile brain trust and end my SOB ways! I am interested in particular in the Braekay listed in coaches foorsale. The one that Kenny has that he is selling for his parents. It is supposedly a Spartan chassis with the Cummins 190 HP engine and Allison 4 speed. 1992 Vintage. It has the front entry. I am interested in the owners of similar coaches giving me the opinion on engine size, possible MPG, Year by year design plusses and minuses, etc. I want to use the coach for 6 months a year on the move towing a Suzuki Samurai or a small enclose trailer with a 700lb motorcycle inside. Pretty light TOWDS. I am used to SLOW as my Isuzu powered TREK is a 28 MPH up a 7% grade machine. In all fairness the Trek has been a great unit for the mission of Mexico. But I amlooking for a little more quality and quiet. Put the diesel in the rear please! All info appreciated! Great site and a wealth of info. Thanks, Will If you would give me a phone to call and pick a owners brain I will call you or call me 561 301 7885. I am readt to jump but would like to " Ask the man that ownes one!"Like they used to say about Packards I believe.

Posts: 4 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 04-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The pusher engine results in quieter operation and easier accessibility. I've only looked at a couple of Breakaways, but prefer the front entrance (as mine has) because I think it gives a bit more interior room and allows more basement storage, one thing the 28'-30' Breakaways are a bit light on. The 94+ 28' Breakaways have a lot more basement storage, but also have the 6.5L GM turbodiesel and a GM 4L80E transmission.

If you pull a toad or trailer, then you'll have extra room.

The only issue I've noticed with the diesel pusher is that with all that polar moment, it's not particularly agile, but it tracks very well.

BTW, the invitation to call is always open.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We purchased a 92' 30' Breakaway last fall. We think it's great. The 190hp is not going to win any speed contest but will get the job done. We bought ours just outside of Chicago and drove it back to our home just outside of Seattle going over the Continetial Divide without any problems and we weren't the slowest going up or coming down. The outside storage is not the largest but we've gotten it figured out and have what we think we need. Inside storage we will never fill up with stuff. We don't pull a toad at this time so can't say on that issue. Our's drives and handles great and is easy to park and barely hear the engine.

It'll all depend what you need to take with you but we sure like ours.

Good luck in your search.

Bruce Nalder
Renton, WA.
92-30'Breakaway

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post