Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Price Research
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Hey Dave!
I think that was me on the 40' Regency find. Except the state wasn't California; it was Georgia. Yep, I also have a 1952 MGTD touring car. Both are fine after a few thousand investment.

Al

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Al,

You know how many times I have said that the people who buy Barth's are psychologically the same breed as those who buy MG's? You proved the point.

And, like my wife says, my stories may never be exactly the way it was, however, they are usually close enough.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited April 27, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This is a note from Al Benton referenced above

Hi Dave,
Here is a picture of the 88 Barth 40' that was used by migrant workers for years. Of course the migrant workers you are referring to was actually a Doctors Daughter who stayed in this unit for two semesters at the University of GEORGIA. However, I have had a facelift done to the exterior (Stripped, Sanded, Primed and Painted) . We are almost done with the interior but available (cash for toys) is getting low. Might have to sell the MG!!!!

Please post this for me... I couldn't figure out how to post a reply and send a picture with the reply.

Regards,

Al

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited April 28, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited April 28, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello George
I have a 1978 34 foot on dual fuel. When I go to propane from gas my switch has an intermediate position which operates a solinoid to stop the flow of gas to the carb. When I feel the engine flutter I flip the switch the rest of the way to turn on the propane. A little speed is nice as there can be some lag time. If you where not moving for instance the engine could just quit.
As far as the rest of the unit you mentioned be prepared for a pile of work. Mine had half those miles. I did the motor, the transmission, steady bearing, pinion seal, ball joints, air bags, etc, etc, etc.
These are old units and age is murder on old machinery. Buy as new as you can and then still be prepared to spend. Mine ran nicely on the test run to, but thennnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

Posts: 46 | Location: Parksville British Columbia | Member Since: 02-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information on the propane...a friend of mine confirmed the same thing however he leaves his on propane all the time. Apparently if you switch back from propane to gas you don't have to worry about speed ' you just have to adjust the airflow back down.
This friend lent me a Barth brochure from 1979 and it says that from 27' up the tires go to 19.5 and the GVW 14500. Barth must have done this after 1977 but did they do it only on certain ones? Just curious.
Has anyone ever just removed the paint from a Barth? Personal preference here but I have allways liked the plain old silver ones.What kind or paint remover would you use that would not stain the metal?
George

Posts: 28 | Member Since: 04-19-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I am not current, but anyone who strips and paints airplanes will recommend a good stripper. Your paint might be polyurethane. Look for a label behind the grille.

Be aware that some Barths have corrosion under the paint at the front. These will show up as dark pits if you remove the paint. Look for spots where the paint has blistered or looks like bubbles. The paint will yield if poked.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post