Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Price Research
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have been watching this site for some time and my Wife and I are going to look at a couple of old Barths tommorow. I need help evaluating one of them. Before I go on I should mention that Eric's 27 foot was a real consideration except with 3 girls under 12 we needed more separate and distinct beds.
I am looking at a 1977 27 foot rear bath model with the facing couches and then the living room further up. The Barth has 120000 miles but the engine was rebuilt at 90000 miles and converted to propane...but you can still use gas. Aside from that this coach is original except new furnace.
The exterior is in fair condition except for some surface rust on the front bumper.The interior is right out of the brochures found on this site which my Wife and I would not change...it's rolling history.
What should I look for mechanicaly on this thing? I mean they were built tough and in my old cars quality of construction can mask problems well. Does anyone have ideas on the propane...they run hotter...I have read on the site about hot air pick up problems...I bet on a hot day re-starting could be interesting.
What about brakes , suspension , tires , front end , u joints...how does all this stuff seem to hold up?
Now coach issues such as hot water tank , fridge , stove , oven , furnace , ect...what do I look for with this stuff aside from it working of not? How about plumbing...this I do myself but is there any Barth knowledge specific areas I should be aware of?
I know I am buying a 25 year old motorhome but I would like not to buy a bow- -wow. I realize she will not be new but complete , unmolested , straight examples should still be a pleasure to use.
What is this Barth worth?
I appreciate all help , comments and critisisms.
George

Posts: 28 | Member Since: 04-19-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi George

I guess anything can happen on a coach that old. Here are the things that we have spent money on.

1. Exhaust pipes $200?
2. Brakes front only $400
3. Wheel bearings front only (check front wheel bearings first thing) $300 Canadian "got ripped"
4. New engine, (may have been our fault not watching temp) so check belts and hoses firt thing!!!! (don't ask)
5. Circuit board for water heater ($100.00)

We did a little customizing for an additional $2000.00 (new TV and bathroom work)

Just do the best about saving yourself problems by changing hoses and belts. I am sending you a tech bulletin on vapor lock and hot start problems. Give it to your mechanic and say "do this". Then you won't have to worry about the engine heat.

Also go to Camping World and get this doghouse insulation stuff. It is worth its weight in gold http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...56&src=SRCH&tcode=37

And, don't be a stranger here. I sometimes don't think anyone ever comes to the site, until some one askes a question then there is a ton of help.

Best of luck,

Dave

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Dave.
Should I assume that this coach is worth say 50% of Eric's as his is "done".
Would a 454 of this age have the mechanical fuel pump or an electrical...my REO has a mechanical but trust me , my Barth would lose it first thing.
George

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
For sure, it has a mechanical pump on the lower right fron corner of the ingine. It may also have an electrical back above or near the tank. You can tell by listening with the ignition on and the engine not running.

In addition to Dave's good advice on belts and hoses, I would add save the old ones for spares, or better yet, keep a new set vacuum bagged for on the road emergencies. I would replace ignition wires and vacuum hoses. Heat has probably taken its toll. Napa sells a good silicone rubber vacuum hose. Any good brand of spiral core silicone nipple ignition wire is good. I like Accel 9000 or Taylor Spiro Pro for their heat resistance. Remove the dist cap and wipe out all the red dust. Put a litle oil on the advance mechanism. Install a starter heat shield. Put some gumout in the tank. Have the float level checked in the carb. Qjets are notorious for sinking floats. It can be done from the top of the carb. If the mech says not, get a new mech.
Check for leakage under the carb. There is a plug that can leak and cause a fire. You DO have a fire ext, don't you? Make sure the heat riser valve is free.

Inspect carefully under the water tank and pump for wood rot. That flex line on the gravity fill connection can leak and get things wet every time it is filled. Over the years, you can have a rotted out floor. Ask me how I know.

Now, does anyone have any information on the original price of ANY 1984 30 foot gas Barth? Or maybe a 28 or 29?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Hi George;

Listen to Bill H. I put 23k miles on my 27'er and went through all sorts of odds and ends. The big item was the spark plugs and heat sheilds...I ran into odd runing problems when the wires started to degrade and much sooner then I would have expected.

Bill: If you need a price on your rig email with exactly what it is and I'll get the "Official" DMV MRSP.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night fell apart so we went to look at the Barth tonight. The knowledge I gained from this site was invalueable.
This coach is Aug 76 so I guess that makes her a 1977. 120000miles. There is a map on the side of her with where she has been. Southeastern USA is the only area missing and I mean Belize to Nunavet inclusive. It looks tired out both inside and out. We love it. She ran well and everything seems to work.
The tires have lots of tread left but are badly cracked so I assume they are done. Both sides of the windscreen are damaged and this looks really expensive. I have never driven a 12500lb animal before so I found the brakes to be less than expected...lots more time is needed.
I just about died when I lifted the doghouse cover...no wonder these engines burn up. Rolls Royce actually began air conditioning parts of the front suspension on their cars because of heat damage. BillH is bang on...get an electric fan up front and use a thermostat to cool off that area.
The people want 9000$ or best offer and said they would come down a bit. I hate to insult people so We left but to pass insurance tests we will have to do tires and a windshield plus maybe brakes.
Any ideas?

posted Hide Post
Let tell you about the cost of the windshield. My 22 foot 1972 windshield is broken and that is the way it will remain. The cost of the repair is more than the motor home is worth. My motor home uses a General Motors school bus windshield. Check into the price and if you can find a replacement.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The windshields are readily available from Duncan Systems http://www.duncansys.com/rvwindshields.html

They cost around $900.00 per side directly from them however, your local glass guy may get a better deal.

In my opinion you shouldn't pay more than $5K for that coach, maybe less. I have seen them for $3,500.00. You can get a 1985 28foot with a rebuilt engine for $9K. Eric's is different because he has done so many nice updates he can get the price. On this site is a '85 Regal with the Banks system for $9K https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000160.html .

You are a pretty handy guy so if you can get a good price then it makes sense to get a fixer upper. But, if you have to change windshields they should almost be giving it away. (in my opinion)

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I just put in new windshields AND lowered the price...>GRIN<

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Just a though on this windshield thing. I pay $340.00 a year for insurance for the Barthmobile and I have opted for full class coverage. It is well worth the couple of extra dollars. So far, I did get a little rock nick and they had a guy come out with the nick repair and it looks pretty good.

Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I carry $250 deductable so I replaced both for $250. A wicked good deal

posted Hide Post
Ok , This gives me a good idea of the value of this coach. Now just a few more things...there seems to be lots of green garden hose replacing broken lines...would not this affect taste? Does the water pump work on 12 volt? The air bags seem to hold air...is this one of those things that just hold air pressure or don't.
Now the biggie...the owner tells me that when you switch from gas to propane you do it at 50mph by shutting down the gas allowing the line to purge , almost run out of gas , then engage the propane. The system must not be working right because blond or not I just can't see this.
I live near a city of 1 million and there are 3 other Barths for sale. A 77-28 , 77-22 , 74-26 . I think I will drive them all and make a decision. There appears to be virtualy no market for these as older people want trouble free and people in my age group love debt and 5000$ down and 300$ per month will get them their dream.As a tinkerer I think something could be bought and paid for cash and then tidyed for less than the first years deprecition of a moderate fiberglass C class.
I will keep you all in the loop.
Keep the ideas coming!
George

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there has been a lot of low quality work done on this.

Garden hose? Good grief. The only hose you should let touch drinking water is the white stuff that is specifically FDA approved for drinking water. Lots of bad stuff, pcb and the like in regular hose.

The water pump is 12 volt.

Look at as many Barths as you can and try to get a feel for them.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
George,

Listen to Bill he "Da man". I'm not having a warm fussy feeling on this '72. Keep looking, there are some great deals out there.

And don't feel bad about finding a dud. I talked to a guy a couple years back who thought he had died and gone to heaven when he found a later year 40 foot Barth Regency forsale under $100K. Then it turns out it had been used for living accomidation for some farm workers in California some where. Hadn't been started in a year. Aw shux....

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited April 25, 2003).]

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great info guys.
Sorry about all the questions.
Just a few more though. Brochures from 1979 say that a 27 foot should have 8.00x19.5 tires on it. This 1977 has 235 85R16 LT.....any ideas. Is salvage value for this coach about 2000$? Those air bags on the back...tell me more.
On Friday night we went to look at a friends 1975 24 foot rear bedroom model.Talk about a well looked after little honey...just tidy as could be. To bad its not for sale...we would all have to lose a lot of weight to fit in it anyway.
Unfortunately 2 of the other coaches for sale here turned out to be 24 foot rear bedroom models so they will not work for us anyway. The 4th and final coach for sale here is a 1974 27 foot and they put the add in with no number.
Still on the hunt,
George