Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

90's Regencys and steep grades
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of madrone
posted
Were most of the later Regencys built without a Jake brake or Transmission retarder? This would ban
them from many places in the mountain west (for your own good)

Steve

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Our 93 Regency does not have a Jake Brake or retarder.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Our Stagecoach has a Pac Brake.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the Regencies and reterders, but I looked into an exhaust brake for my AMG 6.5L TD with the GM 4L80E tranny. Basically, there wasn't room between the turbo exhaust and the muffler for a brake, amnd it was $1200 for the brake and $750 for the tranny lockuop controller.

I did discover, however, that by dropping the tranny into 2nd, I could ease down a 7% grade at 50 mph. Tranny temps stayed below 160°F (actually, there was no rise at all).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have been and continue to go all over the Western Mountain States and have never had any issue NOT having a pac brake.It is all in the planing and reducing the speed BEFORE going downhill. It is called speed management.

I use recommended truck speeds and sequence braking action. I have over 35K miles on this set of pads and still have well over 50% left.

There is NO law requiring pac brakes on RVs.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
I do have a williams exhaust brake. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Ours has a Jacobs Extarder with the Allison MT643 4 speed transmission. The book says it is a vehicle slowing device not a stopping device.It has an on/off switch on the dash to actvate it.
The MT series 643 tranny has lock up on the top 2 gears and so the Extarder does not work to slow the vehicle at low speeds, below 25 mph.
Air brakes are powerful too and don't seem to fade on long downhills either. Though I suppose that would depend on how hard and long you stood on them!
I have had no trouble controlling speeds on long, steep grades in the west even towing our 4 door Chev Tracker, but it only weighs abot 2900 lbs. There have been tmes when I've forgotten to throw the swich to activate the Extarder and haven't realized that 'til after stopping!
Don't think that a engine or transmission brake are a necessity if you are paying attention, and we should always be paying attention when we have control of 25,000 plus lbs moving at 65 or 70 mph!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I do not have a Jake Brake, but do have an Allison 647 four speed tranny with lock up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. Fourth gear is free wheeling.

I have down shifted in the Allegheny mountains and Blue Ridge mountains in the east with good speed control, however, I manage the speed before decending as well as use periodic braking.

I have never traveled with the Barth in the west (yet).

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post