Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New to RVing and to my Barth RV.. 101 help
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Jim's Barth
posted
Hi

I have 1994 28ft Barth chevy Regal model 454 chevy engine.

Getting it inspected for plates and exhaust leak fixed.

I have no idea how anything works in it. Never plugged it in for electricity or water or attempt to start generator, ac, heater or what all the gadgets are throughout.

Is there a book or better yet a web site for RV Dummies so it answers all my 100s of questions or an operates/owners/mechanics manual for my Barth.

I plan to hit the road in 3-4 weeks and drive 1600 miles from St Louis to Arizona and have a RV spot there to hook it all up. But one the way there stopping overnight I guess at truck stops I may want to use some of the stuff in the RV.

So i need some help here you loyal Barth owners to talk me through this.

I am 65 single man, first RV and mechanically inclined besides x carpenter builder. Cancer survivor and now retired with no money...lol

So where do I begin?

Thank you for any assistance.

Cheers

Jim

Posts: 13 | Location: Casa Grande AZ | Member Since: 10-12-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile, Jim.

As for Barth information you have come to the right place. The company went out of business in 98 and there is little factory info around. Many of the coaches were built to owner specs and there is great variation from coach to coach. Search around this site we have many threads and documents!
Start here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...s/a/frm/f/3731087061

The GM chassis is fairly generic and GM service manuals are available. Appliances and generators we can often get info from the manfacturer.

Good luck with your coach keep us posted. Thumbs Up

Watch out these things are addictive...

Have Barths, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim's Barth
posted Hide Post
dash stuff some dont work

Posts: 13 | Location: Casa Grande AZ | Member Since: 10-12-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim's Barth
posted Hide Post
more pics

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim!, Welcome! Look behind the driver curtain or the nearby area, and take a picture of the data tag. Post it here and I will get you a personal folder.

Cheers
Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Jim, where are you in the metro area? I may be of little help but that might be of some value. I will give you a pm with contact info.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Jim , Welcome to the site . cheers
Use the search feature on the site & you will find LOTS of information . If specific questions , it's usually easier if you start a new topic for each . ( generator, waste system, etc..)
Ask away, you will get lots of answers & meet many great people . Thumbs Up

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"stopping overnight at Truck Stops"
Go online and chart RV campgrounds on interstates. Not all (very few) Truck stops welcome RVs. Also, overnight at Truckstops or interstate Truck parking doesn't allow much sleep.
Walmart is the "free" place. Arrive after 2100 and be gone by 0700; it helps to tell the manager on arrival where you're parked (outside close-in parking) and when you'll be gone.

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim's Barth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Hey Jim!, Welcome! Look behind the driver curtain or the nearby area, and take a picture of the data tag. Post it here and I will get you a personal folder.

Cheers
Kevin

Ok when I get it back from mechanic who is taking his time.. should be in about 4 days I hope.

Plan to drive to Arizona in late NOV and do heaps of work there in the warmer weather.

Picture of Jim's Barth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Jim, where are you in the metro area? I may be of little help but that might be of some value. I will give you a pm with contact info.
Tim

Thanks I got your message and once I get it back from mechanic I will try to meet up with you and perhaps you can give some clues and knowledge about my "Baby" before driving 1500 miles to Arizona.

I live on opposite side of st louis from you (Barnhart/Arnold area) but no problem.

thank you... much appreciated

Picture of Jim's Barth
posted Hide Post
If this helps in anyway here is Vin.

I have also went though this forum and have downloaded heaps of information from P30 stuff, to air horns, wipers, fog lamp, heated mirrors, microwave and other manf stuff that this RV is equipped with. Once I get all info and hopefully in working order I will make a Book with all print outs and a DVD that will help my self and anyone who works on it.

VIN... 1GBKP37W6E33422659

Plan to hand paint it same color later on when in Arizona. Should be fine and also have no brush marks of course.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim's Barth:

The Vin you posted is not in the data tag list. Your tag should look something like this.

Please do a diligent search behind the driver curtain. Maybe even under the curtain rod rivet. I did not see many Regal Models listed in the data tag list in 1994.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim's Barth:

Jim, this VIN is odd. Shows the coach as date code E, an 84 not 94 as your first post stated. This would be consistent with the engine code W which is 454 V8 carb. After 90 they used fuel injection code N.

More importantly, the VIN has an extra digit. Should be 17 digits. Serial # last six, yours shows seven digits there. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Jim, this VIN is odd. Shows the coach as date code E, an 84 not 94 as your first post stated. This would be consistent with the engine code W which is 454 V8 carb. After 90 they used fuel injection.

More importantly, the VIN has an extra digit. Should be 17 digits. Serial # last six, yours shows seven digits there. hmm

Steve you are one savvy Barth member. Jim your Data tag should look more like this (not the one in my previous post):

posted Hide Post
I am not sure what Photobucket is doing now, but the image above was fine this morning.

Here is another.