Forums    General Discussions    Which RV tires do you use?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Which RV tires do you use?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm shopping for some new tires for my RV and was wondering which tires you've had the best luck with and have gotten the most miles out of. I'm visiting this http://www.awesomefordofchehal...r-tires-chehalis.htm tire shop in Chehalis and they've given me several options but want to see what the community has to say first

Posts: 1 | Location: Olympia, Washington | Member Since: 01-31-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
What size tires does your rig use? That will probably affect recommendations from others. Many of the smaller (older) Class A motorhomes can use 16" LT truck tires, so that gives you more options than the 19.5" or 22.5" big truck tires.

Keep in mind that mileage is usually not a factor with RV tires... they will age out and can become unsafe (internal dry rot) after ~7 years, regardless of outer condition or tread depth remaining.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
What size tires does your rig use? That will probably affect recommendations from others. Many of the smaller (older) Class A motorhomes can use 16" LT truck tires, so that gives you more options than the 19.5" or 22.5" big truck tires.

Keep in mind that mileage is usually not a factor with RV tires... they will age out and can become unsafe (internal dry rot) after ~7 years, regardless of outer condition or tread depth remaining.

Posts: 19 | Location: Boerne texas | Member Since: 09-28-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
There is about a weeks worth of reading here.

For me "TIRES" are a matter of personal preference and your budget. In the above pages I think I remember a member actually took a poll on tire preference.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have 8R19.5 Chinese tires. Three years and still holding air. But not many miles. Probably about 15-20 thousand. Yuma to KY to Minneapolis and back to Yuma twice.

BTW no weather checking yet, but they are covered.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dumped the Chinese tires several years ago on the front, replaced with Goodyear, which failed (belt separation) last year. The Bridgestones on the left rear had a blowout, and then another; now there are Michelins. Belt sep on the right rear Bridgestones led to replacement last December with Toyos. A universal joint failure and broken tranny mount may have mimicked tire issues, so I still have the Bridgestones.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I put Bridgestones on the Euro when I got it, and had no problems for the 12+ years they've been on. The fronts were getting pretty threadbare so I put Toyos on for steer, and I love them so far. I'll put them on the rear before the Memphis trip just because of age.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have 19.5 Bridgestones on rear Goodyears on front All less than 3 years old on the 86. 20k miles looking good.
98 has 22.5 Goodyears on front. Just replaced rears with Chinese Samson tires. Less than 1500 for four mounted and out the door. Gal at tire store says these are their most popular tires with fleet operators. They have been selling them for 6 years not one has come back. We shall see only 1500 miles so far

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been said that "Chinese" tires cover pretty much anything now... even products from Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin, etc. are going to have some portion of materials or labor done in China. Straight Chinese brands still have to meet minimum safety/material standards to be imported/sold in the U.S.

Taking care of tires and maintaining proper inflation will probably make any brand last longer, when compared to a certain brand/model.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Dumped the Chinese tires several years ago on the front, replaced with Goodyear, which failed (belt separation) last year. The Bridgestones on the left rear had a blowout, and then another; now there are Michelins. Belt sep on the right rear Bridgestones led to replacement last December with Toyos. A universal joint failure and broken tranny mount may have mimicked tire issues, so I still have the Bridgestones.

Rusty, Do you check your tires EVERY time you move your Barth? Not meaning to single you out, but when I left the Barth 50 anniversary gathering, I was the only camper to check tire pressure before leaving.

CHECK TIRE PRESSURE EVERY TIME YOU MOVE YOUR COACH!
Good advice for everyone even SOB members.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Pressure is the #1 priority, and alignment might be right up there, but keeping them protected from UV rays,[the sun], will also lengthen the life of a tire. I have fitted canvas covers that go on whenever the Euro is parked in the driveway. As I said before, my rears are over 12 years old and have no weatherchecking at all.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Danny, good luck with those tires. Probably 1994 I had replaced tires on my PU, bought 3 rotated in the unused spare, no UV there. Tire looked good held air well etc. but it was now 6+ years old. 90 degree day 150 miles into return trip home, wife asleep, passing a center rest area, right lane, 10 feet from shoulder is a 300' drop and that tire threw the tread. It took out the fender well, edge of the fender, right mirror and my wife's sweet dreams. We got stopped on the shoulder since the carcass held air for about 100 yards. Just sayin'.
Good luck, Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Pressure is the #1 priority, and alignment might be right up there, but keeping them protected from UV rays,[the sun], will also lengthen the life of a tire. I have fitted canvas covers that go on whenever the Euro is parked in the driveway. As I said before, my rears are over 12 years old and have no weatherchecking at all.

I agree with the above, except those 12yo tires. That's a BIG risk, my friend. RV tires can dry rot from the inside out, and you'll never see any problem on the outside until they heat up and explode (often literally). Please for your own safety, do not rely on the outer appearance of your tires to determine their condition.

Compared to car tires, RV tires (expecially on older rigs sitting on Light Truck (LT) tires) are maxed out and sitting on full weight almost all the time. If you use tire covers, get something breathable like a style made out of canvas "parachute" type material that repels UV yet lets the water/heat escape. I'd avoid the older style leather/vinyl ones that can trap heat and moisture in (which also shortens rubber lifespan).

The BEST thing for RV tires (along with proper inflation) is to drive them on a regular basis. That warms the rubber and circulates its chemicals that are designed to protect internally against UV damage.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Rusty, Do you check your tires EVERY time you move your Barth? Not meaning to single you out, but when I left the Barth 50 anniversary gathering, I was the only camper to check tire pressure before leaving.

CHECK TIRE PRESSURE EVERY TIME YOU MOVE YOUR COACH!
Good advice for everyone even SOB members.

I didn't. But the coach was in the shop in KY 3 days, and I checked the pressure before I left there for Goshen. I do up the pressure 5 psi when headed north, because the cooler weather will lower the pressure.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO I also CHANGE the air in my tires when I change my engine oil. ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO