Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Vintage Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of chrisW
posted
I think I just got lucky!
For those that remember I bought my Barth last summer adn started going through it to restore the mechanicals (interior was in mint condition). Replaced all the suspension and brakes, did some electrical work and made a short trip or two.

So now winter is over, a couple more items have been checked off the list it is time to 'invest' in some tires....there are no inexpensive 22.5" tires!

I dropped off the Barth at the tire shop this morning and out of curosity I aksed what the date code on existing tire was - it didn't make sense to me....they were the original 1985 tires!!! Eeker

Anybody collect vintage tires? You can have 'em for free!

geez, I actually drove this thing (not far) with those tires on it!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Must have been vintage as in 'vintage wine'!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Chris
Hi neighbor! You are the closest Barthmobiler to us. We will have to meet up for a camp-out one of these days.
My questions are ... How many miles on the tires after all those years?? and ... How did it handle and ride on that ancient rubber?
Best Regards.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Actually it handeled quite well. The rig has 41k miles on it.
Interesting coincidence - I drove the Barth down to Watkins Glen (on the new tires) to instruct at a BMW track event. I was driving a students Porsche and the right front tire disintegrated at 120 mph....Karma I suppose! No crash but his sheet metal was torn up a bit by the tire flapping around

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
chrisW; Our 1988 Regal had 17,500 miles on it with the original tires when we purchased it. The tire shop I bought new set of tires from said they would sell them to contractor who used them on low boy trailers used to haul heavy equip at low speed. They wear out fast and would work well. Try finding a shop that deals with contractors, this would help out a contractor in this slooow economy.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
when we bought our barth it had on 4 original tires looked ok you could see they were used but not bad didn't go 50 ft on them.they con blow just sitting there.they were only 18 years old.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post