Tools
Reply To This Topic

Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted
Hello All,

Would like to hear from the Breakaway owners out there on their experiences with their Barth. My wife and I are considering traveling to a neighboring state to take a look at one and would like to first tap-in to the wealth of knowledge on this site. I am concerned about the 5.9 Cummins powerplant. Is anyone currently or have in the past pulled a car? Did you find the power to be adequate? I had thought that one would need at least 250 HP to adequately power a unit the size and weight of a Breakaway. 190 HP seems underpowered. Any current Breakaway owners wish they had held out for something with more HP? Are the propane fueled generators reliable? I would think they would be more desirable given the exhaust would be easier to deal with than a gasoline unit. Any other "quirks" to look-out for when considering a Breakaway?

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One owner with a 28'/160 HP pulls an Outback.

The propane generators can be cantankerous; they are noisy and thirsty. I replaced mine with a Honda gaso; it's 8 db quieter with 40% of the fuel consumption.

I considered a toad, but the 28' is small enough to be its own runabout.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
We have a 30" Breakaway with a 160 HP diesel. A little slow getting out of the gate and cruises at 62 MPH. I borrowed a "Toad" to see if I really wanted to invest the $ and have another car to keep at the house (limited space). Took a tad bit more to get up to speed but still held its own on the open road. Good luck in all your decisions and enjoy your BARTH.......................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
We have a 93 with a Banks kit soooo about 210 hp, We have not pulled a toad but with our gearing we cruise about 60 mph @ 10 mpg. I'm not in a big hurry anyway
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
I drove our coach from Wisconsin to Seattle towing a Saturn Vue, @ 60 - 65 mph @ 11 - 12 mpg.

Mike

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I drove a 1992 Breakaway, with factory remanufactured 190hp Cummins 5.9 6BTA, towing a small car on an aluminum trailer from Michigan, through CO an UT and up CA to Marin County, then straight back to MI. Mostly I ran 60mph and got 10mpg. There was little or no power to spare. That is a factor more of the four-speed slushbox transmission than of the engine. The almost-same engine with a later electronic Allison six-speed is FAR superior IMHO.
As for quirks of the Breakaway, there are only a few (dozen ;^)
But seriously, the thing was built really well. The only thing better than a Spartan chassis was the Gillig chassis. But, then it wouldn't be a Breakaway. Corrosion is a common culprit. Partial useable fuel tank capacity is an idiosyncrasy (due to side-mount fuel filler hose).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Sorry, but I just had to post this reply since we have decided Barth would build ANYTHING

quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:

But seriously, the thing was built really well. The only thing better than a Spartan chassis was the Gillig chassis. But, then it wouldn't be a Breakaway.

9008-3687-34BG-1B

9310-3888-33XG-7C

9311-3889-30XG-18B

Three Breakaways on Gillig chassis.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
my bad

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that why I can only get 40 gal in the 60 gal tank?

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My '94 28' is the prototype for post-'93 28's. It had the wretched GM 6.5L TD; oddly enough,at 190 HP, it seems to have outperformed the 160/190 Cummins in earlier 28's and 30's,and that's with an extra 7 sq.ft. of frontal area.

On level ground the original would easily do 80 mph. With the 230HP AMG engine, I hit 85 mph with about 5 psi boost and plenty of pedal to spare. This seems odd to me, as the Cummins 5.9 should be far superior to my OEM mill.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Is that why I can only get 40 gal in the 60 gal tank?

BINGO
Take a look at the tank. My filler hose went in about halfway up the side. I was puzzled why the consignment dealer handling the sale for the widow Yale in AZ said she wanted me to be sure and look for fuel at 400 miles. I was expecting a 600 mile range. When I ran out of fuel in IL 412 past my last fillup, the tank took 41 gallons. Another consequence was that a 'full' tank caused fuel to remain in the lower portion of the fill hose. Thus, it rotted out and had to be sectioned.
There are a couple old threads about this issue. Some have modified the tank.