Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rivet Tool
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
SORRY i BOUGHT 600 RIVITS IN A BULK BAG SAID 1/4 RIVETS THEY WERE NOT THEY ARE 3/16.I HAVE BEEN USING THEM ON THE BARTH AND THEY SEEM TO WORK WELL. NOW I HAVE 600 RIVETS THE WRONG SIZE
LENNY.

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I bought the same swivel head tool, also, and it even said on the web site that it would do 1/4" rivets. It won't. Tere will send a pic of the REAL 1/4" rivet tool that we bought. It was around $35.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the box.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I replaced a whole lot of rivets on mine with rivets off the rack in the hardware store. I don't remember any 1/4" rivets, & even if there were some, none required much structural strength; all were lightly-stressed sheet metal fastenings. As long as they cinched down & didn't pull through, I was satisfied. I don't even remember needing to put any washers over the shank before I pulled them down.

Few of us will use these coaches long enough to suffer corrosion of any rivets we replace. It's a matter of repair vs. restoration. You restore collector cars; you repair RVs you plan to use for some time.

Often you cannot find identical replacement materials so you do what is needed to make it work. It is easy to get into expensive overkill if you try to be too perfect. Of course, I'm not a perfectionist, just an overgrown farm boy who turned int a fair-to-middling shade tree mechanic who liked to get things working.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We didn't find any 1/4" rivets either except in the most unusual place, the running lights. The hole in the running lights was to large for a 3/16" rivet, and of course, the hole in the aluminum cap was the same as the one in the base of the lights, 1/4". There was no way to put a washer behind the rivet, so we just bit the bullet and bought aluminum 1/4" rivets. From a strength standpoint, there was no reason at all. It was just to fill up the hole. And you don't want to know how much I had to pay for all aluminum rivets. Mad Let's just say that if anyone needs some all aluminum rivets, just let me know and I'll send you some Razzer

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/11
Picture of Scott and Debbie
posted Hide Post
Guy's, Just new to the site. I'm in the same boat. large hole. little rivet gun.
I was thinking I'd try a flush riv nut and see how that works. I'm on the grainger site now and I have alot more uses for threaded fasteners than big rivets.
Scotty

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The fit of the rivnut in the hole is important. If the fit isn't perfect, go up the next size. At work, I saw a lot of rivnut failures. On my own projects, I am always sure to use only keyed rivnuts, and I make a little slot with a Dremel or a swiss file to engage the key to be sure it does not rotate.

Some rivnuts have ribs (or knurling) that look like they might hold pretty well, but I haven't tried them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Well grainge is closed. Harbor freight is open. Going to see what is available. Besides making the whole tight I was thinking of
putting a little smutz on it to keep some grip. Maybe a little anti siese so the screw doesn't lock up. rain comin' today. I'll get all my hardware and do it tomorrow. Lots of scraping to be done they were generous with the prc sealant and roof coating.

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott and Debbie:
they were generous with the prc sealant.

PRC?............... EEK! Eeker

Not 1422, I hope.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well its the same consistancy and color. I know what the tank divers feel like without the resperator or closeness!
I have some shelf life expired stuff to put back up there. Hopfully none of those led's I'm putting up there burn out ever

posted Hide Post
Bill, Just read your post about the biobor. I'm glad I assumed you knew what tank divers were.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott and Debbie:
Bill, I assumed you knew what tank divers were.

Sadly. But, I keep trying to forget.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
We have 1/4" rivets on the dock light bezels, the zip dee awning hold downs, the entire front cap and a couple of other places. I also drilled out some of the elliptical 3/16" rivets which hold the door on the front of the bus which allows me to access the generator and replaced them with ALL ALUMINUM 1/4". Man, do they hold! I got my rivets & tool at Fastenal in NY a couple of years ago when we were passing through.

Before I squeeze them down I pry up the sheetmetal a bit a stuff butyl tape underneath after scraping out the old sealant. Seems to work great.

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
things have been busy these last three weeks. trying get pideley things done before her first weekend gtg in dc.
the rivnuts worked well on the mounting of the cab clearence lights. I have to say thes led lights are the way mr barth should have lit the front of this coach. Still lot's to do. Some won't get done this week but have been put on the schedule.
the lights were grounded by the forward mount rivet. I mounted the ground to the rear rivnut as I crimped it in the hole in the skin. sealed lights with some expired proseal 870b1/2. Looks good if do say so myself.
look forward to meeting every one next weekend. We'll try not to be in too late DC traffic and all.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
One of the rivets on my awning bracket has come out, and another few look like they are about to.

My 3/16" are not big enough. I'm thinking 1/4".

I looked at the local Home Depot and Ace, and looked at Hansen's and The Rivet Gallery online, and no one lists 1/4" closed end all aluminum rivets. Grip length looks to be nearly an inch to me, as the bracket is pretty thick.

Does anyone have a source?

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post