Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help! bought a barth regency 86
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm new to this coach thing all the way around and bought an 86 barth regency,love at first sight. However, not knowing much at all, im having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with it. It was running beautifully but started over heating,I pulled over and saw a hole in radiator reservoir, patched it, filled it and it wouldn't start, and also anytime I tried to start it, water would dump from underneath near a fitting going into motor. New batteries, starter good, alt good, gaskets? This baby was abused and needs a lot of help, im not the best owner for that, but I'd like to save her. Thanks.

Posts: 7 | Location: Florida  | Member Since: 03-04-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site!

Barth coaches had numerous variations.

Regencies were built with MCC chassis and GM 8.2 liter V8 from 1981 until around 1986. Later years had a Gillig chassis and Cat 3208 V8 engines. Some of the last ones were Cummins powered on a Spartan chassis.

The early Regencies MCC chassis parts are hard to find. The GM 8.2 is prone to overheating and the design of the engine resulted in many problems with head gaskets. That engine was discontinued by GM after several modifications. They are very hard to keep running. These problems resulted in Barth changing the engine and chassis in late 86.

The Gillig chassis and Cat engines are still common and parts are available. Hopefully this is what you have,

Either way, be sure to fix any leaks before you run it or serious permanent damge can occur. Use the search feature here on the site and we may be able to pinpoint your problems.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a later 86 model. My boyfriend thinks there might be something binding the starter.

Posts: 7 | Location: Florida  | Member Since: 03-04-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Binding starter is a possibility, especially in a coach that not been regularly used. Also be sure all the connections are clean from batteries to starter. Many problems in older coachs can be traced to poor connections. Moisture and salt air can take their toll after time.

With luck the leak near the fitting maybe just a old hose leaking. Be sure to stop the leak before operating.

Good luck with your coach! Keep us posted! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, has your boyfriend checked the engine oil dip stick for the presence of antifreeze/water or the possibility of raw diesel fuel? Considering your description of the coach as abused but running then overheating and now not turning over, makes me concerned that the engine might be hydro-locked due to a bad head gasket, cracked head, or bad injector.

Good Luck,
John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No boyfriend, I do this on my own. I did pull the oil plug and definitely a gasket problem with lots of coolant present. I've been stranded for a month now, spent holidays alone freezing and I have been waiting on aaa for 17 days. They are a joke. I pay for premier rv and they've told me they don't deal with rvs. I have 100 miles to home. Thinking my only option is to force start it and run it 30 miles at a time filling at each stop. I'm desperate to get home to my kids.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skykevbray:
Mine is a later 86 model. My boyfriend thinks there might be something binding the starter.

Sorry about the boyfriend confusion. Your earlier post was the reason.

Meanwhile, your discovery of coolant in the oil speaks to serious engine problems. It is already in need of major repair. If it is the GM 8.2 engine it may not even be able to be repaired. Operating with coolant in the oil will certainly lead to total engine failure very quickly, probably much less than 100 miles.

If the oil is changed and the coolant refilled, it may be able to limp along but not far. Considering the engine is already damaged it may not make much difference. Either way it will need a major rebuild.

With only 100 miles to go, I would suggest getting it towed to your destination. At that point you can make decisions on the options for repair or scrap. The MCC chassis and GM V8s are not easily servicable. No parts are available. If you just plan to leave it parked and live in it, you could do that. Those Regency coaches were nice but the drivelines are not reliable. Of all the Barths produced, the MCC/GM coaches are the only ones I would not recommend.

Good luck with the situation.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp