Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Education needed
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi Everyone
My communication with this site has been nill because I have been so ignorant.
We own an 89 34' Regal(?) at least that is what it is called on the picture (Page 3 last one on that page.)
Part of my questions have to do with, how do you tell the dif between a Regal, Regency, Breakaway etc
I look forward to more communication
Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Petoskey, Michigan 49770 | Member Since: 02-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Leroy,

Here is the $.50 answer to your question.

Regals were the gas line of motorhome built from 1985 to the end. They were built on Both the Chevy P-30 chassis with the Chevy 454 engine or the John Deere/Oshkosh/International Harvester chassis usually with the Ford 460 but we have seen some with the Chevy 6.2l diesel. I don't think we have seen a Chevy diesel on a P-30 chassis have we? They sold for around $60K and up

There Breakaway was the wildly popular "vacationer" class diesels built from 1990 to 1995? Have we seen any 1996-1998 Breakaways? I think they became Monarchs. The Breakaway had the Cummins 5.9l 190 hp engine on a Spartan spring ride chassis. they had 4 speed Allison transmission until 1993 when 6 speeds started to show up. They were made in 28 and 30 foot lengths until 1993 (I think) when they came out with a 33 footer which had the larger 240 hp engine. (my favorite coach)I don't thing I have seen any wide body Breakaways. They were also available in the front and side door models. The side door was a $500 options. Breakaways sold for around $90K

Now the Regency name really started in 1982 with the old FMC transition, but I don't want to talk about that now. So as far as the 50 cent answer is concerned the Regency came to life in 1986 with Barth first really high line coach. We're talking a Gillig full air ride chassis, all Corian and leather interior and lengths all the way to 40 feet. They started out on the Gillig chassis with a CAT 3208 T 250 hp engine and moved up to 300. In later years the Regency was available in the Spartan Full air ride Mountain Master chassis with the big Cummins 8.3?L (do not hesitate to correct me on this guys)engine which eventually moved up to 425hp but by that time I think Barth dumped the Regency name and just went with XL. Like Barth 38XL.

I think there is no doubt the Regal, Breakaway and Regency was indeed the big sellers in the Barth line. And, it is easy to understand.

A 28-33 foot gas coach with motor-aid water heater and in transit heating not to mention solid cherry woodwork and that Barth look.

Then the Breakaway and the classic floor plan that it offered. Great fuel mileage with a diesel coach available with a side door.

Finally the Regency which boasted the top of the line but still structurally sound to the point that you could drive 40 miles on a dirt road with out having to worry about your cabinets falling in your lap.

The final advantage that I always come back to. This may be imperative or may not I was not there. But think about it. The same guy who hung the sidewalls on a $300K Regency hung the walls on my Regal. Why do I not think that is the case at Winnebago?

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, nice summary. What are some of the major differences in the Regency in 93 to make it worth $300K?? Was this the average price or starting price for a Regency back then? The Breakaway is a nice coach, so I'm trying to get a good understanding of the differences between the two models. Did they sell many of these (Regency) over the years? What was Barth's total sales numbers in units if anyone knows? Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The difference with the Regency is extraordinary. If you have the time and opportunity to climb underneath a full air ride chassis like the Gillg vs. the gas P-30 or even the Spartan SC or SC-2000 (I can't ever remember) on the Breakaway you will really see the difference. In the later years the Regency sported large pass through storage, all heated and lighted. Special diesel fired water heaters, basement AC. Of course, huge banks of 6V batterys with 2000 watt inverters. You can really put some big bucks in these coaches. We even had one with Italian imported tile in the kitchen. It was owned by a couple who got divorced in CA and they had let some farm workers live in it and it was distroy on the inside. I think someone really got a deal on that...If you can call that a deal.

If you are looking for a vacation coach, let's say with jaunts of 90 days or less. I bet you would really be happy with a 30 Breakaway. You will drive down the road at the speed limit. It will be quiet enough so that you can talk to your wife with out yelling.

If you are going on the road for 2-3 years and you have the dough to spend get a 35-38 foot Regency then you can fly over the Rockies.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies.

It appears we get more than our monies worth, ($.50) with Barth and their owners. You do have a vast knowledge of these units and we truly are pleased to be an owner as well.

We owned 4 SOBs prior plus campers, tents & nothing in the beginning. That's probably what we will take with us in the end as well - so enjoy the Barth while in this life.

Hoping to be freed up for one of the rallies some day - - we sure missed a good/local one last year - - But

Hang in there

LeRoy

Posts: 2 | Location: Petoskey, Michigan 49770 | Member Since: 02-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoy Sutfin:
Thanks for your replies.

... we truly are pleased to be an owner as well.

LeRoy

So, after getting that reply do you still own a Regal?

If you get around to it sign up at www.frappr.com/barthmobile and put a pin in the map. It's nice to know where everyone is from.

I liked the more then .50 answer too. Welcome to the site, if you have any questions drop a line...

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited February 15, 2006).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post