Tools
Reply To This Topic

Boat-Tailed Car Boosts Mileage
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
In an earlier thread, Bill H jokingly talked about installing a Marmon Wasp Tail on a Class C.

Here is one on a car looking for better mileage.

Boat-Tailed Car Boosts Mileage By 15%

Looks more like someone put cardboard on the back of their car. I guess you pull the tape off to get in the trunk.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Real life. Many moons ago we had a Sportscoach powered by a 440 Dodge. Nothing I did to it would increase the MPG except towing our 16' speed boat. This would increase MPG .5-.9 MPG every time. The nose of the boat was stuck in the vacuum pocket on the rear of the motor home we we really had a boat tail.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When I went from an older barrel-backed boat to one with a squared-off stern, I noticed a slight increase in fuel consumption. I know this is valid because my primary tank always ran empty at about the same spot (on the way to the River). When I changed boats, it always ran empty at the same new spot, a few miles earlier.

I always towed with a cover. Later, I installed a full-width swim step, and found that the extra length and the streamlining effect of the extended cover (which went back to cover the droop-snooted jet) let me go a little farther on the same tank.

This was a serendipitous Marmon Wasp effect, and I wondered what purpose-built streamlining appendage would do. I considered building a tapered fairing on the back or (even) loading the boat on the trailer backwards to really maximize the boat tail effect.

Once, with a violent storm rapidly approaching across a lake, we really did load a boat backwards in our haste, but never towed with it that way. Smiler

Funny thing. The Marmon was mentioned in the context of raising the rear overhang...........

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post