Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need a PC expert
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
All: I have received invaluable help on this site and have never been disappointed so here goes. My wife went out and bought a new pc running Windows 7 and wants to connect wirelessly to the internet via my MAC Airport Extreme Base Station. Her PC joins the network fine and she can print using the network however but under the access listing on her machine it says she cannot connect to the internet. Other than foolishly buying the pc laptop instead of another MAC I have no clue as to how to help her. Obviously the network works for my MAC, but doies anyone know how I can allow her to have internet access? Thanks for the help, again,
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Are you running Internet Explorer?
If so, what version?
Try this: Use the "Tools" menu, choose "Internet Options".
Select the "Connections" tab on the User Interface presented.
Now, click on "Setup".
That should invoke a 'wizard' to get you going.

Let me know how it goes!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the router is "on" but is not connected to the internet. I say this because all of your local stuff is working (printing) but you can't reach the web.

Is your Mac hardwired to the modem, or does it also connect wirelessly to the airport?

If both computers are wireless and the Mac is able to access the web, and the PC is, at the exact same time, unable - then you can dismiss my troubleshooting because your problem is elsewhere.

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Kim and Dianne
posted Hide Post
quote:
MAC Airport Extreme Base Station

I am not familiar with the "Airport Extream" but it seems to me that the router is not handing out the DHCP IP address, thus giving you local access only. I see on the apple site this:

Share the Internet securely with guest networking.

It’s easy to allow guests to use your Internet connection without sharing your password or giving them access to the rest of your network. Simply enable the guest networking feature using the AirPort Utility application and create a separate Wi-Fi network just for your friends. You can set up this guest network with a different password or with none at all. Your primary network — including your printer, attached drives, or other devices — remains secure.

You might try that setup. It should allow internet access with no connectivity to your local resources.

To properly set the router:
Look around in the router settings you should find the proper method to allow the PC to join the secure local network getting the IP address and access to local resources.

Also ... "Google know all"

Kim

1976 Barth 21'
HAM Call: AC7YY

Posts: 29 | Location: Centralia, Washington | Member Since: 07-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
My two bits. How are you connected to the internet?

Are you connected thru your Mac or thru your router. You should be connected thru your router (it does have a wireless output - right?). Modem>router>computer.

Now it is simply finding the available wireless
networks on your PC selecting and entering the password if required.

The router does not know what kind of computer is hooked up to it.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. FYI, I told her to go get her own router. See, I have three level security established that protects my system: I set it up so it does not braodcast, nor does it provide a list of networks for a hacker to choose from. You have to know the neame and the password for both the sign on and the internet. I was trying to find a way to add her without disturbing my security, but that would not work. I am running a Powerbook with an Airport Extreme Base station that is connected to the cable (DSL). A printer is connected to the base station for sharing. Her computer has wireless capability but it has to talk to the router before it will allow access. It will allow her to print, but share or see my disks. My S-I-L (Son in Law) is an IT guru but he is in Calyfornia and can't get to her machine via the remote logon so he can't fix it either. I guess I should be happy with the security but it is a pain to add new computers to the secure network.
Also Windows 7 doesn't give us any wizards through the new menu of stuff.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There are two likely issues:
1. Firewall (The Airstream router may not allow 'net access to the new laptop [NLT])
2. The NLT may not have all the protocols installed to access the 'net.

It may be easy to correct (I'm unfamiliar with W7).

Anyway, power off the Airstream.

Then go to the Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard, and open it. Check the box "...connects through...a residential gateway...". Next comes the computer name and description. Finally, the name of the network.

Hit next, then at the end, click ...I'm finished..."

Reboot the NLT, power on the Airstream, and try the 'net again.

If that doesn't work, there are some other things to try.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also Windows 7 doesn't give us any wizards through the new menu of stuff.

Does Internet Explorer come up and give you that path, via the Tools menu?

Matt

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IE comes up ans says it cannot connect and then opens troubleshooter. It runs for a while and then says it cannot process through the base station. It then send you to the Control Panel, but there do not appear to be any wizards in W7. I have a pc at my office and none of the old pathways are in W7 - it apparently is designed to do all the connecting itself and it will do printers without selecting them (it loads to all it finds). We also have wireless keyboards and the Apple Genius Mouse, but the W7 cannot see them and you have to go to a devices menu and then see if it can find them or you have to manually add them. I much prefer my MAC!

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with a new Mac keyboard that quit working after a software update. After the tech satisfied herself it was their software problem, not something stupid I had done, she worked with me for a half hour or more to resolve the issue.

Do you suppose Microsoft would respond to your problem? If you have a brand new computer, with the latest MS software, I'd think they'd have some help available. Or would they?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
M mac is new it is 2 months old and apple will talke to you for hoursfor the first 90 days. Buy one on one that gives youa lot of help and instruction at the store or on line or telle.
Hate red wires love my mac.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I deleted the internet connection on the pc and shut it down and then turned off the Airport Extreme base station. Then I repowered (not reset) the base station and rebooted the pc. It booted up, the base station assigned an automatic IP address and everything worked. She now logs on with her password and it works fine. Thanks for the help.