Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

motorcycle carrier
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
I have a cruiser type motorcycle and would like to know if anyone has any experience with a motorcycle carrier, I'd like one for for the rear of my "new to me" 33' Barth?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I built my own using aluminum $180 8" C-channel bolted (all grade 8 bolts) to a box type trailer hitch extension $40 from Harbor Freight. The hitch extension allows me to plug in the tow bar. I also 2 1" square tube outriggers for extra support. I plan on carrying a Suzuki GSXR 1000 (about 380 lbs), but I just have a mini sport bike Yamaha YSR 50 as of now. The carrier that I saw in Camping World for scooters was only rated for 300 lbs if I remember correctly and cost about $600. I have upwards of $500 in mine with welding and hardware, but I believe it will carry more weight. I'll send some digital pics if interested.

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hi Don, and welcome to the forum.

(How's that, Dave?)

What model Barth do you have? Depending on the length, I would be careful with a cruiser weight bike unless you have a tag or a DP. I bought a tag for this reason. Handling can get squirrelly.

On my last coach, I stuck a round 2 inch tube in the receiver. Then I stuck a square 2 inch tube in a receiver under the left frame rail. A channel was clamped to the round tube. Another square tube was slipped in to the right hand frame rail receiver, far enough in to clear the channel. The bike was rolled up the channel under power, and the channel tilted to the level position and latched. The round tube was locked in the center receiver with an ordinary lock pin. The right hand square tube was then slid out 4 inches to support the channel, and was locked with a ball lock pin. I had a hydraulic shock absorber that eased the downward tilting when unloading.

Don, there is another Scalzo whose name is associated with another beach in Florida. Any relation?

Eddie, I am considering a GSXR 1000, and very interested in how you got yours down to 380 lbs.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited October 17, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
My Kawasaki ZRX1200R weighs 512lb.s DRY. Check your manual for accurate weight of your bike PLUS fluids. Also it's one thing to find a carrier thats safely rated to carry your bike, it's another to load and unload a 500 lb. bike by yourself without hurting or damaging something. Also don't forget that whatever you decide on, ask yourself if you're gonna leave it on the RV or remove it (HEAVY)after every trip. Also take account for how far these carriers stick out. I use to carry two bikes. One on the front and one on the back. But they were dirtbikes. Now that I own a Barth, I use a trailer. I would have to say it's not that much of an inconvenience and I can bring a bunch of extra things like firewood and chairs,gas cans...that I don't want to put in the coach. Consider a tilt bed.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have found a pair of bathroom scales to be far more accurate than at least some manufacturer's figures.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I trust the manufacturers specs. Suzuki doesn't have a weight spec on their 2004 model, but it should be close to '03. The other bike I'm considering is an R1 at 382 lbs. Get out your scales-you might have a good lawsuit with Suzuki. The continuing battle between the manufacturers for the lightest bike is phenomenal. Both Yamaha and Suzuki are within a couple of lbs. of each other. I carry only small amt of gas-1/2 gal. even with the 2.5 gallon YSR tank. The extra weight is always a concern. I wouldn't consider putting my Harley on the back at 525 lbs. The YSR is lighter than my Honda scooter at 201 lbs. full wet weight and a lot more fun at 60 mph.

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
My bike is a Suzuki GSX 1100G factory dressed
As to another Scalzo: I used to live on Bradenton Beach, but I'm not aware of another Scalzo.
I like the Blue Ox solution, but $2300 is a little too rich for me.
I saw CycleLift on the internet but no price.
I have a trailer that I carry my bikes on, but I have been warned that this can be a problem as there is a storage problem at the campgrounds. I would like to see pictures of Eddies lift! My Barth is the 33'.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I like the stationary rake for $595. I would weight the rear end of the coach with some free weights accumulating the weight of the bike plus the rack, towbar, a little extra for leverage-(bike weight extends past coach), etc. Then, I would drive it around to see how it affects the handling. Bill H. is right on the handling part. This could help you make a decision before investing a lot.

posted Hide Post
I made my own bike rack out of a 6" piece of chanel iron and some square stock to fit the reciever. It carries the almost 500lbs of a loaded Vincent like a treat. We used it for years and thousands of miles on our old SOB Class A (F30 Dodge). I did have to put some Firestone Air bags(NAPA)on the back in order to compensate for the weight. In fact, first trip across country with out them (egg on my face), we hit some frost heaves in N.Dak. and pulled the front shocks apart! With the air bags it handled better with the bike on the back than without the bags and no bike. When I tried the carrier on the Barth, the crank cases hit the bumper so I'll be modifying it soon. We have a tag so I see no problem with overloading, however If you don't you may want to be sure you're good for at least 50-75% more tounge load than your bike weighs. I used some 1 1/2" square
welded underneath the end where the front and back wheels of the bike sit that telescopes a piece of 1 1/4" sq.X 3' with pad eyes in it for tiedowns and cut the front of the channel at 45deg and rewelded to hold the front wheel. We carry a regular bike ramp bungy corded on and loading- unloading is a one person job.
John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post