Forums    General Discussions    bill h - Honda Generator?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

bill h - Honda Generator?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of flashnyellow
posted
bill h,
Did you get the Honda EV6010? I saw in an earlier post you may get one. My Kohler is down and I'm thinking about replacing it with the EV6010. Your thoughts on the EV6010.

Thanks,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought one, but haven't put it in yet. I finally got my Kohler Klanker to work well enough that it is no longer a matter of pressing urgency.

Have you considered having your Kohler repaired? What is wrong with it?

I bought it because the movie industry out here loves them, as they are very quiet and reliable. They use them when they don't need a bigger unit. I like the idea of a water cooled genset, as it is bound to be quieter when properly installed. We bought it because it would be the quietest way to run two air conditioners at the same time. If you think you can get by on one air conditioner, and don't need to run it while driving, I would recommend a Yamaha EF3000iSEB. They are stunningly quiet, noticably quieter than the Honda 3000i.

They are not meant to be enclosed, but they are so quiet that you could mount it on slides to use it. The only drawback would be running it while driving.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
I was running my Kohler a while back for a weekly run and when I turned the AC on to put a load on it the generator started making a loud knocking sound. It sounds like it is from the engine. I'm able to start it (barely) but still hear knocking. I also noticed an arcing from the generator side touching metal support. I would rather not spend the money to rebuild it. I "will" need to run AC while driving. You mentioned running both AC's, will the EV6010 handle both?

Thanks,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashnyellow:
You mentioned running both AC's, will the EV6010 handle both?

Thanks,

I expect it to. I have seen them do that in the desert a lot on toy boxes.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I have the EV6010 on my 1990 Regency. It appears that it is probably the original gen-set.

No problems with running both roof-tops while idle or crusing.

I also like the idea of liquid cooled and the ease to service. It's mounted on a pull-out, making-it easy to change oil, oil filter, air filter and antifreeze.

It runs fairly quiet and is propane fueled, so the exhaust smell is barely noticeable.

Just did an oil change, filter change and coolant change prior to winter storage. I cleaned the air filter element, as a new-one was a bit spendy and it didn't need to be replaced.

Went with Castrol Synthetic, as recommended by "Windsor Dalrymple".

I'm no expert, but I have nothing bad to say about this unit.

However, it does seem to leak some oil from somewhere [bottom?], so I will have to look-into that this spring.

Very nice gen-set.

Robin McCullough

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will make a decision soon but I will probably get the EV6010 and install myself.

Thanks again,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I remember just a while back when Camper's Choice (now bought out by Camping World) out of Red Bay, Ala. sold these Honda gennys for $1500 on special. I wish that I would have bought one. It would be great for hurricane season.

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post