Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine compartment door fix
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Crazyshakespeare13
posted
Ive been searching high and low on the net with no luck. It seems as though the metal channel that holds the door together is spliting(not pictured). More specifically the hinge channel. Wondering if anyone knows a resource for the channel pictured below? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Your door has been "repaired" before. The outer frame should have been welded with the panel fitted inside and then welded into a unit. There should be no rivets in the doors. If you take it apart and either confirm the panel is sound or need a new one you can have a good welder do the four corners and you will have your coach back together. If you need a new panel because the luan has rotted and caused corrosion holes then you measure it out of the frame and call Whiting Door Co in New York and they can supply new ones.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats what I was afraid of...currently dealing with the "repair" the PO did to the bustle door....Who thought it was a good idea to use screws for a repair like that. So i had a clue that the engine door might have been repair too. I was hoping to find the right channel trim so i could repair it myself....Not sure if the damaged part can be repaired (and look good)since the ribbed section is seperating from the hinge part of the channel. I certainly hope I dont have to buy a new door....Thanks for the advice Smiler

Posts: 69 | Location: Ft. Worth | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aluminum channel that is 1" with 1" legs with a 1/8" thickness is readily available. It is easy to weld and will be seamless. I would replace all of those that have screws or rivets. No need for ribs, the smooth looks better, I think.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got a good point...i guess i could just cut off and salvage that hinge piece....Great advice!

posted Hide Post
On mine the piano hinge is riveted to the door and th frame. I just drilled it out and put it back on. Done.