Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

confusing email
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted
I received this response to an email I sent this gentleman concerning his golf cart, I told him that I was interested in buying.

Hi,

By selling this……..I want to provide charity a small amount to be franc, even if it is incredible.
I had a relative which died last year because of nature’s torments and this made me reconsider a bit how lucky we are sometimes and how life can be taken away and having no one to blame because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If your interested, please let me know and I will explain how we can manage this deal further.
PS: You need to decide soon, for this price the car is not going to be on the market for long.

Thanks,
George

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
run

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Ditto!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi,

By selling this……..I want to provide charity a small amount to be franc, even if it is incredible.
I had a relative which died last year because of nature’s torments and this made me reconsider a bit how lucky we are sometimes and how life can be taken away and having no one to blame because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If your interested, please let me know and I will explain how we can manage this deal further.
PS: You need to decide soon, for this price the car is not going to be on the market for long.

Thanks,
George

Reply:

Dear George,

By coincidence amazing. I have some dead relatives. His name is Fluffy. He is missing and dead like a relative. Does your car golf have any furry on the tires? Fluffy was furry and was a soft relative until nature tormented him after the car golf chased him down. Is there any fur under your car golf, or whiskers?

I will call Car golf Fluffy! Would it be possible to transport my car golf to my favorite car golf course in Nigeria? Pleased I would be and fluffy will rejoice.

Must end purple talk now, cows ahead.

Especially,
Hi.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Perfect reply Noble... I also picked up the "Nigerian" dialect in that reply...
RUN MR.........

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
TOTALLY agree with everyone else. I can smell the fish even here in swfl. Run, don't walk.....

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
The only goal of that e-mail (like any other spam messages) is to solicit a reply from you. It's worded in such a way to beat junk mail filters and make it to your Inbox.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
I looked up that ad and wrote to him simply asking "How old are those pics?" and got the SAME EXACT reply as you posted here... I dont believe that golf cart even exists, but if indeed it does selling it was not the intent of the ad....

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
I looked up that ad and wrote to him simply asking "How old are those pics?"
What ad? Link please.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It kind of reminds me of the Muslim Protesters in NYC that hate the Juice Roll Eyes

Look closely and you can see the word Zionist above Juice. I guess they must hate the Israeli Orange Groves.

If only all the bad people in life were as blatant as these 2 examples.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest on the email:

Hey,

There's nothing wrong with the cart, the car looks and drives well and has not suffered accidents nor scratches ever.
As I told you the cat is already staying in the container, sealed at the shipping company.
I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. According to eBay you will have 7 days from the time you receive the car, to inspect it, and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how the process works:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
- Working Phone#
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay. 3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. In that invoice you will find out the details on how to make a refundable payment. 4. eBay will inform me about your payment and I will ship the cart to you. If you will agree to buy, then I will receive the payment from eBay. 5. If you will decide that you will not buy the cart, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company to come pick up my cart.
If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.

Thank you,
George

Bill NY his email is George.Mussotter65@msn.com
I found the ad on craigslist of memphis, it is on the first page the one listed for 2670.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
How did e-bay become involved when it was listed on Craig's list? Please dont send him any of your private info MR, it is a scam.... HE is going to send you sumthin saying it is from e-bay, then you are gonna send someone (him) the money without ever having seen the thing? No Way.... RUN....

Here's how it should work on Craig's list..
1. You see sumthing you like/want
2. You contact the seller showing interest
3. You go see the item and work out a deal or not.

It's not gonna go like that with this guy...

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Patch, this dumb blonde ain't nobody's fool.

Mary

posted Hide Post
quote:
How did e-bay become involved when it was listed on Craig's list?

They mention EBay to make you think it is a legitimate scenario. Then EBay sends you an invoice, only it's not really EBay at all, it's a fake EBay form letter. You think, well if it's EBay it must be OK. Here's a scam alert from a scam fighting website that explains more about this one.

Scam #10: The Fake Vehicle Escrow Service Scam

How the scam works: This is actually not a car dealer scam, but it is a huge epidemic. I have been FIGHTING THIS FRAUD FOR YEARS, and it's a growing eBay scam too, so it warrants inclusion in our list. Sometimes the scammers steal images from a car dealer and pose online as the car dealer. But mostly, these internet scams appear online as the seller of a used car. They place ads on Yahoo Motors, AutoTrader, Craigs List, eBay Auctions, eBay Motors, every known vehicle and motorcycle classifieds site on the internet has been hit. The scam begins with you buying a used car (or other product) online and you see a hot BMW or Mini Cooper, or Camry, or Mercedes, or Harley Davidson whose selling price is much lower than other listings for the same item. So you ask the seller a question. The seller replies with a "Dear Sir" form letter, rarely do they mention your name, it's all scripted. It usually has poor grammar and spelling too, and the seller claims to be in Europe and cannot keep the car. Via email, they have you outside the eBay safe harbor, or whatever site you are using. He wants you to use a particular 3rd party escrow site, "he's used them many times already." Unknown to you, he just created that fake escrow site only a few days ago and he's lying. He is offering to pay shipping for the car! Do you know how much shipping is on a car across the U.S.? It's usually about $900. That's a big Red Flag. The "seller" has setup that fake escrow web site that looks better than most bank web sites and is about to steal your money. They convince you to register on the "escrow" site, and you get payment instructions to Western Union or MoneyGram the funds to the escrow company, then you never see your money again. No undo on the Western Union either, once your cash is wired, they can pick it up anywhere in the world in minutes, usually in UK, Spain, Romania, Russia, Netherlands, Europe. There are many twists to this scam, they often trick you by telling you they are signed up for escrow with Yahoo Motors, or eBay or Square Trade, none of which in reality do escrow or collect money for cars. You then receive official looking spoof phishing emails that appear to be from Yahoo, Square Trade, eBay, etc., with instructions on how to pay their "payment agents" via Western Union. The scams have the same goal, to trick you into thinking you are sending thousands of dollars to a trusted escrow company. This scam is so prevalent that from 2003 to 2004, I personally shut down over 600 fake escrow web sites through working with web hosting companies, police, eBay, and victims themselves. These sites pop up at the rate of at least a dozen per day, with thousands of scam listings and auctions running all over the internet at any time. Now that you know what to look for, they are easy to spot.

How to avoid the scam: NEVER EVER use cash wiring services such as Western Union, MoneyGram, E-gold, etc, to pay for purchases online. They are all dangerously unsecured networks. Don't use any escrow other than Escrow.com, recommended by eBay, and don't ever believe even the most realistic looking emails sent to you, as legit institutions would never send you sensitive payment instructions, you would login to get instructions. Never use the site recommended by the seller.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of scam suspicion giveaways when looking on Craig's List.

* If the location (which is listed on the ad header) is non specific like Collier County, or Florida, or Downtown, it is likely a scammer who doesn't know enough about the area as he is far away.

* If the ad text is placed in as a photograph, it's probably a scammer who is mass distributing an ad and trying to avoid detection as the photo text is harder to catch by automated spam prevention equipment.

* Bad grammar, spelling and sentence structure is a reason to be suspicious.

* "Selling for a friend", always makes me suspicious. Not so much that it is a Nigerian or prison scam, but it is often the way a seller sets the stage to disclaim he knew the item was in horrible condition.

* "Needs motor, but one is available for $XX on EBay. Yeah, right, that's a sure bet.

* Mechanic says it only needs....." so fix it then!!

* "Wife says it must go" so why did you buy it in the first place you wimp.

* "Won in drawing and don't need" more likely bought at flea market and has been refurbished.

I always ask for the sellers phone number when I see something interesting. Many times there is no response as the seller only wants to deal by email where he can better control the con.