Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Barth Owners
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Howdy All

we recently moved to a farm in Texas and wouldnt ya know... we discovered a Barth. Never heard of them or seen one till now (but Im originally an Aussie)

Its been sitting for about 15 years and has a lot of water damage to the roof which has affected everything inside. Well that along with rats, which isnt uncommon for anything sitting on a farm.

My daughter and bf had been dreaming about doing vanlife but upon seeing the barth they've decided to take on the challenge.

A quick VIN search tells us that its an 83 (chev 83 p30 is what the vin checker told us)... but thought yall might be able to confirm.

The most notable feature about this Barth model is that it has NO side doors... it only has access via a door in the rear. (which is somewhat concerning for safety issues ... but as the Wasteland Weekend crazy car guys say: "we die like real men" lol")

Bit of background on this particular Barth: it was owned by a group of Hare Krishnas as a mobile Temple for quite a number of years, then when they bought land in Texas they moved it here. Last registration plate is from CA 2013.

Here's some photos for you all to enjoy (and gasp in horror at the internal damage)...ill have to post them separate as there doesnt appear to be a way to upload multiple images

She certainly needs some love - fortunately my husband is a mehcanic and I've done a fair bit of interiors and Rv fitouts.. so we will be helping the youngins in their rebuild.
My daughter says : "we've renovated worse"... she's probably right.

Here she is:

Posts: 9 | Location: TEXAS | Member Since: 12-10-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
side view

Posts: 9 | Location: TEXAS | Member Since: 12-10-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interior

posted Hide Post
Interior- drivers chair

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the interior is too damaged to salvage.. everything from ceiling to floor has gotta be replaced ..nearly fell thru the floor

posted Hide Post
Quite a lot to do here!

posted Hide Post
Thats all I have for now

Would be really interested in hearing feedback about the lack of side doors and whether thats a unique feature.. we havent found any photos of other Barths with only a rear door (been looking for a couple weeks).

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
confusion
(speechless)

Feel bad for not donating to the Hare Krishnas'.

Nice ...............hubcaps. Thumbs Up
Congrats.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Sick humor, sorry. Have a feeling I'll be tasting my words. Y'all certainly sound qualified. Best of luck ......, sincerely.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate19:
Nice ...............hubcaps. Thumbs Up
Congrats.

ROTFLMAO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate19:
confusion
... donating ...

Any way you look at it, all the members here will donate some thought and ideas to the Resurrection.
Good luck because if I had that much work to do, head bang I would part it out. Be careful not to get injured falling through the floor.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It looks like you will have the "blank slate" option... confusion
As you stated, the roof damage goes everywhere else. After that is fixed the rest can follow.

The Barth aluminum skin and frames should be good, but everything else inside will need to be replaced.

Good luck with your restoration, it will be really unique when finished. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Radmax, welcome to the PC Incorrect Barth Club. Texas will suit you well.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
if I had that much work to do, head bang I would part it out.

About the only thing worth parting out ... is, as pirate said... the hubcaps D'oh

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
While we are on the parting out subject, are you are removing everything inside? I would like any bullet lights that may be inside if you are scraping them. Bullet lights are near the floor. If you are scrapping the heating vent shown in picture 3 interior, I would like to add a hot air heat vent to my shower.
You might also want to consider heated floor if your gutting this BaRTH to the floor.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post