Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Why Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hope this doesn't irritate someone. I am wondering what is so special about Barth? They look good and appear to be built good but they use the same chassis/running gear as many others. It looks to me like all motorhomes are too long for the chassis and nost over load it. Thanks Henry

Posts: 4 | Location: Mountain Ranch Ca. USA | Member Since: 01-10-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quarksetc:
I am wondering what is so special about Barth? They look good and appear to be built good but they use the same chassis/running gear as many others. It looks to me like all motorhomes are too long for the chassis and nost over load it. Thanks Henry

"It looks to me like all motorhomes are too long for the chassis..."
This is it for openers. If you'll look closely, you'll see the Barth body design seldom -if ever- is too long for the chassis. Also, how do you know which chassis an "overlong" Barth has??
AAAND: what chassis/running gear does a Lexus use?
..."most overload it".. Barth's unique (expensive) body construction results in a lighter, stronger construction than most, if not all, other brands. This allows Barthmobilers to carry more without the dreaded overload. Besides, if we're astute enough to be owned by a Barth we're waaay too smart to overload a coach.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Henry, are you speaking of gas or diesel Barths?

As far as P30 Barths, many Barths used the heavier chassis, while other brands used the lighter chassis. I can tell you from same-day test driving experience that there is a big difference. In my own case, we have a 30 foot tag chassis. Most others did not use a tag until way above 30 feet. I have seen 36 footers with a tag on the light 16 inch wheel chassis. And Barth used an air bag tag, rather than a non-adjustable biscuit suspension.

As far as the coach, Barth uses the same appliances and furniture everyone else uses. The big difference is the cabinet work and the coach structure. The structure is all riveted aluminum, assembled by highly skilled workers. I have toured and bought parts at many other RV factories, and the ones around here seem to be assembled by agricultural workers. Shift change looked like an immigration raid. My six previous RVs are an indication of that as well. If you have ever done any work on a stick and staple SOB, you will instantly recognize the advantages of owning a Barth. Have you ever dealt with dry rot?

Barth cabinetry is all made by a professional cabinet shop, and is among the best. I dismantled both my bedroom and living room for remodeling, and can affirm that it would be impossible to do better work or use better material. And this work was all hidden, where no one but a dismantler would ever see it. I have built sevral wooden boats, and know good work when I see it. I would single-hand around the world in a boat built by Van's cabinetry. My experience with other brands revealed pallet-quality lumber and pucky-board madly stapled into formation, with many staples not even engaging both pieces of wood. One Prowler even had a "mystery patch", which we contemplated while seated on the contemplation seat. After years, I pried up several dozen staples, lifted the patch, and found nothing! It was almost as disappointing than watching Geraldo open Al Capone's vault!. Most lesser manufacturers only make or buy a few cabinet doors, and stick them on any size cabinet, resulting in awkward appearance and inefficient use of space, as well as difficulty of access to contents. Cabinets are solid wood, not vinyl over particle board. Again, there are few others that would compare.

When I was looking for a high quality gas coach, I narrowed it down to a small list of high quality gas coaches 15 years old or so. I finally settled on a Barth for a number of reasons beside quality, but your reasons will fit your needs. Look at Airstream, Revcon, Superior, Hawkins, Foretravel, and some others that are of equal quality that I can't remember right now. It is a small list. There are advantages and disadvantages of each. Perhaps others here will add to that list. Hang around other RVers. Ask a lot of questions.

Back in the Coolidge administration, Packard had the slogan, "Ask the Man Who Owns One". Most Barth owners have owned several RVs before, and many have owned previous Barths. Several own two Barths right now. I have attended several Barth gatherings, where previous Barth owners attended in their new SOBs. To a man, they all bought super high-quality coaches to replace their Barths. Not a Fleetwood among them.

Have you owned other motor homes? Have you done any owrk on them? I believe previous ezxperience would help you evaluate the advantages of a Barth.

That said, you will pay more for a Barth, and should. If you are the typical RVer who trades every few years, a Barth might not be worth it. I was in my late fifties before my permanent RV needs stabilized, so I went through a series of RVs, all quite different, from my twenties forward. The lesser RVs I owned served my needs well, but I grumbled daily about poor construction and design. Economically, a Barth would not have been for me. Now that I am pretty settled in our needs, we have a Barth. Of course, if my economic situation stabilizes or improves, I will buy a diesel pusher. It will be a Barth or other quality coach, perhaps a Bird or Foretravel. It will be another "oldie but goodie", and will be all metal. If I end up considering a SOB, I will seek the advice of other Barthers who have moved on.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I can think of a ton of answers but I'll just take on the ride aspect. Most coaches are built with a wood frame and fiberglass body, what we sometimes call "stick and staple" coaches. Barths are built with aluminum framing and aircraft aluminum bodies, riveted together to make a solid stable unit. Try riding in a new or nearly new Stick and staple unit. At speed it will feel like the whole unit is twisting and turning, shaking like it's about to fall apart, and too noisy to tell anyone about it. Then take a ride in my [or anyones] 25 year old Barth, and you will be stunned by the secure, solid, quiet ride, the ease of driving, and the overall feeling of being in a well built vehicle that is meant to be used, not as a status symbol in the driveway, but as a go anywhere at anytime funtional coach. Now of course I'm not talking about the big Diesel Pushers, as they all ride nice! I'm talking about the 22 to 33 foot Class A gassers that the average person can afford.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!! That is what I was looking for. I have been looking for a short <26' motorhome. I have been dissatisfied with everything I have looked at so far. Being a technical/mechanical type I do like quality. I can not afford new expensive units. My only expierence is a GMC x Greyhound I converted in the early 70's. It too was all aluminum. Sold it 25 years ago. Wish I had kept it. I live in a remote area so looking is difficult. Thanks again Henry

Posts: 4 | Location: Mountain Ranch Ca. USA | Member Since: 01-10-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at dozens of Class As (and a few Class Cs) for over two years, and I've only seen a couple of Barths, but the workmanship and durability are second to none. The only ones in the same league, IMHO, of smaller motorhomes are Rexhall, Airstream, some Safaris, and Gulfstream. Nevertheless, I'd rather have a ten year old Barth than a new Somethingorother.

My decision has come down to exasperation over the deterioration of other brands regardlessof how well-kept they are. I expect to buy one last RV, and I want one that won't fall apart...

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Drop in on the Barth rally at Quartzsite the week of the 22nd. Lots of nice folks there will show you a bunch of Barths. Maybe even a few toasters.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post