Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth potential purchase help
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi all! My husband and I are looking to purchase an RV in the next few months to live in full time and travel. In one of my first searches I found a 1989 Barth Regal for sale, 32 ft, Ford 460 gas engine, 83,000 miles. I wasn't familiar with the Barth before but I am enchanted! Any help for this newbie re: good questions to ask the seller would be appreciated. Still learning!

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3 | Location: Phila, PA | Member Since: 05-05-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
WELCOME! Start here Computer

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Welcome!! Check the "For Sale" section here, there are a couple of nice ones out there right now...

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to post my 1997 25ft Barth for sale.
I still have to figure out how to post it on the site.
You can see all the photos as follows
Go to. Forums
Go to. Map the Barth/Data Tag Project
Go to "Click for Data Tag
Go down to. Barth RSV-Gas Puller Motorhimes
Data tag 9611 M0023 25FC 2C
You can see the photos and layout by opening the
"2C" or "Discussion"

She has brand new rear Continental Tire, all updated shocks and springs
Less than 40,000 miles
Dual AC units
Stored under roof always
Very good condition and I'm sure those that have seen here will agree.
Much more.
$20,000

Hank
hankjoiner01@gmail.com
706-540-0725

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Link to Hanks Coach pics. 1997 Barth

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much
Hank in Athens Ga

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Works for me; thanks for assisting Hank.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help. Hank, you have a beautiful Barth but more than I can spend at this point. Hope you find a buyer soon! Many thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: Phila, PA | Member Since: 05-05-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Michelle82, Could you let the members know your budget? There is a Barth in Fort worth for sale by:
Sid Cavanaugh
817-269-7808

He wants 5K. Is $5000 in your budget?

Then there is this Barth for $14000 on the website here

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I'm late to this party, but here my 2 bits. We were homeless for 10 years. Hard to believe it. Marleen said she would do 5 years and suddenly it was 10 years.

First bit of advice is have a bed room with a bed you can get into from each side.

Second bit of advice is bigger is better. We started out with a 35' bus I converted and then got a great deal on 43 foot Newell. When we got off the road we sold the Newell and aquired a 30' Barth. This works well for short time living.

Third bit of advice is to join something like passport america if you plan on spending time in RV parks. There are also membership parks available but you will figure that out once you become homeless. On the left side of the big hills there is a lot of BLM free camping. Also if you are old enough get a golden age passport at one of the national parks.

I guess that was 3 bits. Happy trails

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
Michelle,

There is a couple who have produced a great deal of information on full timing. They full time in a 1961 GM 4106 converted bus and cover all aspects of full timing. Here is a site covering some of the big questions people usually ask: http://www.technomadia.com/rving/
Biggest pitfalls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfLTsEVpHE0
Check this site out as it will offer something to what you are seeking.

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Regal Blue, I appreciate those resources. Our budget is around 10k but wouldn't be able to get to Fort Worth anytime soon, Kevin. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts! This is a great community Smiler

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
When buying a used coach at that price point, to make it reliably road-ready, expect maintenance and repair to be around $3-5K.

All fluids and belts should be changed as well as plugs, points, etc. Tires over 7 years old are suspect, regardless of mileage/wear.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I am a longtime member of the forum but not an owner. We have both a camper and a cruiser, my evaluation of any motorhome, camper or motor cruiser is the cheapest one is the one that needs the least work to be usable. The one that is almost perfect but... will take your time planned for enjoyment and travel and turn it into tomorrow's project, even worse if you must rely on someone to do the work for you. I am not advocating new because that means a voyage of discovery, someone that has owned, maintained and lived their possession is the seller you want to find. At your price point you will be lucky not to find a project that will double your investment just to be safely and comfortably on the road. Or I could be wrong. Best wishes, Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post