Forums    General Discussions    Bought the farm...
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bought the farm...
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
There's this thing called a "Check Digit" and it's located in the 9th position.

46GED042 7 L2051317

So for a vin# ending in 317 it would look like this

Correct VIN 4 6 G E D 0 4 2 6 L 2 0 5 1 3 1 7

And if it ended in 417 the correct vin would be

46GED042 X L2051417

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...dentification_number

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
pretty easy to read in the tag pic I supplied..plus all my vin checks are the same...so..unknown.. it will be a while until I can check the frame # position.. unless the bank folks/seller want/need it done..

maybe time for some musical comment?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
pretty easy to read in the tag pic I supplied..plus all my vin checks are the same...so..unknown.. it will be a while until I can check the frame # position.. unless the bank folks/seller want/need it done..
Pretty easy to read in the picture for sure. No doubt it says what it says. I can tell you with near certainty that the correct vin# for that coach isn't the one on that tag. Chances are it's the 9th digit that's off. But, if it's not then it's at least 2 digits off.

We've seen instances on this site were someone was able to register the same vin# in two locations at the same time.

An interesting read for sure.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...163918177#4163918177

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
I'll have the seller check the frame vin and will advise..

starting to wonder if Gillig made a ton of transit bus chassis exactly like this one and maybe in the Gillig / Barth transfer, something got mis-copied...maybe..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
starting to wonder if Gillig made a ton of transit bus chassis exactly like this one and maybe in the Gillig / Barth transfer, something got mis-copied...maybe..
Most likeliest of scenarios.

Don't worry Mike/Cindi W, you'll realize I'm only interested in you not getting taken or an issue with the vin# keeping you from reselling it in the future. If you're happy with an incorrect vin# and DMV doesn't get upset then great. However, in the future, it might pose an issue for you.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Don't worry Mike/Cindi W, you'll realize I'm only interested in you not getting taken or an issue with the vin# keeping you from reselling it in the future. If you're happy with an incorrect vin# and DMV doesn't get upset then great. However, in the future, it might pose an issue for you.

completely in agreement here..no worries.. incorrect info doesn't work for me ( or eventually the State of California DMV either..) , retired LEO that I am..

any incorrect vehicle info WILL come back to haunt me, for sure..

The bank will fix it for me..they said.. Shields Up

p.s.: we need more emoticons..

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post

Folks, tell me what dash this is... was looking at that 1990 Regency Brochure on page 6..sure looks like my dash.. also the 34' floor plan on page 10 is my floor plan..

what am I missing here..or there..or........anywhere..?

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You also have the under body storage going for you too. You see, on a breakaway versus a Regency, the overwhelming and vast majority of the Breakaway model had very small lower compartments.

The Breakaway XL had the Regal Roof line but a Regency compartment storage, weight class, and engine configuration and air brakes. Not making the Breakaway XL in that year is THE crux.

Rusty once said,
quote:
"One can order a deluxe interior on a Camry, but that doesn't make it a Lexus LS 460."
My 2 cents is that you're "about approximately" 80% Regency Interior - 60% Breakaway Exterior - 100% Chassis, running gears and drivetrain Regency. That coach style later became known as a "Breakaway XL" model.

The Data Tag project was started in an effort to help people ascertain a length and model designation of their coach and to try and track the evolution of Barth's production history. It is by no means 100% infallible, Hand of God, end all resource. It's just a tool with limitations.

It's possible Barth sold them a Regency apportioned coach in a Breakaway body style. Looking and delving deeper into the numbers in the early part of 1990 shows a steep drop off in Regency productions for about a 5 month span. The second half of 90 shows a start up in production of the Breakaway model.

I chatted with a few employees of Barth when I went to the Milford Indiana GTG a few years back. They spoke of times when their suppliers cut them off and of ghost town like atmosphere. One thing that is particular to this case, they did have a run where they couldn't "source" (pay for?) the larger front brows of the Regency models.

If it was intended as a Regency they should have placed your tag configuration in the 0148 - 0151 ish range. IDK nor should it really matter at this stage as I'd be more worried about the vin# right now.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, thanks for the instruction..very thorough and informative...it helps to have that description..

working on that frame VIN..will advise..

oh, and I do own a Camry also..but not the Lexus version..Smiler

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
the latest saga...
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
Most likeliest of scenarios.

Welllllllllllllllllllll..

the good news: the bank just called and Texas DMV says THEY made a 'clerical error'.. Must of had past paperwork to check and compare..

quote:
Oddly enough but I'm also having problems with the vin that's listed on that data tag. Please verify the actual vin number on the paperwork from their DMV. The one on the paperwork for the vehicle transfer might be slightly different than what's showing on that tag. If in doubt there's other places to look besides that tag

the bad news: at least for the BM data base ... TX DMV advises VIN on Barth data plate IS CORRECT with their records. I guess they went back in the paperwork history trail and found the evidence..Title issued with 417 in VIN was their mis-type... in fact, they say its 427..like originally posted..

So, what a circus.. I'll have the repair/checkout facility verify the frame stamp hopefully this week.. one more time...

(next chapter heading: Frame stamp VIN doesn't agree with data tag/TX DMV title VIN...) deadhorse

I'll be getting a corrected Title and Bill of sale from the bank..

Flash.... Flash.... Flash....

Gilig sent me this.. cool huh,

looks like the data tag info is actually correct... will wonders never cease.. cheers

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting a state agency to admit they made a mistake. That will make everything much smother for you in the future. Roll Eyes

I researched the Gillig chassis and they have a metal stamp tag attached to the frame on the drivers side just behind the front wheel. Just verify that one too - It probably won't match up.

That 2 in 427 stands for hydraulic brakes that you're telling me you don't have. Something is still off here.

46GED0427L2051317

quote:
Based on what I know, ( fed requirements, math, Gillig) your vin ending in 051317 should have really been
46GED0417L2051317.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis