Forums    General Discussions    Bought the farm...
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bought the farm...
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Kevin is alluding to the fact that this is probably a breakaway.

Barth Regency's, of that era, had a wider radius roof curve.

There has been many people who believed they had a Regency when they had a Breakaway or a Regal. Unless the previous owner can prove that he has a bill with that data tag number stating it's a Regency then the closest scenario would be a Breakaway XL.

Looking at Kelly Blue book won't show a XL for that year model, and seeing that this coach was one of the very first Breakaway's built perhaps Barth was unsure how they wanted to... (insert any guess you want)

During that time frame Barth was churning out coaches and wanted to be known for their pusher models as evident by the massive drop off in production of gassers.

Maybe going to the 5.9l - 15k's GVW was their way to not price themselves out of the market at that time? Maybe floor plans were nicer without the hump up front? IDK for sure but speculation and our little data tag project makes it easier to draw logical conclusions. For the most part, that's all we got.

Look at the data tag project, I've been updating that page and adding additional coaches in.

Thank you "Mike/Cindi W" for your donation. Sadly, life's trials and tribulations have caused me to go into the hunker down and survive mode. I'm out and itching to be more active in our community.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You rock, Bill. Thumbs Up

Take care, be well, stop in some more! cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

Thank you "Mike/Cindi W" for your donation. Sadly, life's trials and tribulations have caused me to go into the hunker down and survive mode. I'm out and itching to be more active in our community.

You are most welcome..people take for granted...at times...what an undertaking that forums like this require tons of work and some costs.. I'm a guest mod on another site ( just for archival search opportunities) and that site has 3 full access moderators who seem to be busy all the time..! Don't try to take it all on yourself..unless, of course you don't have a life otherwise Big Grin Ha!

maybe consider splitting up some of the duties with other folks.. Tag/Map project, support members stuff, forum mechanics, etc..

You do an excellent job on this most valuable resource.... Tooling Along

Mike & Cindi W

When history repeats itself, it gets more expensive...

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do an excellent job on this most valuable resource.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kevin is alluding to the fact that this is probably a breakaway.Barth Regency's, of that era, had a wider radius roof curve.

oh well..just going by what the seller was saying.. with a lack of paperwork ( I'm still trying to contact the original owners brother), is there any other documentation that I could check on?

was unaware that any Breakaway model had the cat motor..1990 construction..sold as a 1991.. any brochures for that era Break XL out there..? Looked at a '92 Breakaway brochure and don't see a 34'.. Great, now have to check everything out.. no prob, just want to know what I actually have..

anyone out there have any comparisons..

M/C-W

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
just want to know what I actually have

A rare BARTH indeed.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Quick look in our data base only turned up one other 34' Gillig/Cat Breakaway. Beeoh in Canada used to own a 30' Gillig/Cat Breakaway but his Cat was a 6 cylinder. Indeed Breakaways on Gillig chassis are rare!

Mike when you head back to Nor CA, let me know. I am in the South Bay and take frequent 1-2 day jaunts around the area when auto racing season is over. (Nov-Mar)

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Will do..., both my dad and I started our State Park careers at Big Basin Redwoods ( 30 years apart !) so know your area well..

ever been here?... one of my other vehicle interests... great tour if you have the interest..

M/C-W

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the data tag project, I've been updating that page and adding additional coaches in.

Bill , you can add the 3208 designation in the data tag column for me: (have pic's if in doubt Wink )

tag# 9010 3694 34-BG-1B (under Breakaway..currently)

Mike W

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough but I'm also having problems with the vin that's listed on that data tag. Please verify the actual vin number on the paperwork from their DMV. The one on the paperwork for the vehicle transfer might be slightly different than what's showing on that tag. If in doubt there's other places to look besides that tag

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Funny (not Ha Ha..) you should ask..

just got the title, no model listed

Barth spelled BARH

license plate incorrect on title at least not the one on the coach in the pic's that I took..

vin incorrect ( one # wrong) both on title and bill of sale ... actual in-Barth tag pic below.. paperwork vin shows 417 not 427..

got a call into the bank and the go-between-seller to have THEM remedy this..

Bill, what exactly were the probs you encountered when attempting to add my supplied tag info?

SNAFU..
quote:
Please verify the actual vin number on the paperwork from their DMV. The one on the paperwork for the vehicle transfer might be slightly different than what's showing on that tag. If in doubt there's other places to look besides that tag

and that would be where?

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Stamped in the frame around the drivers side probably just past the front axle. It's very large but might be hidden behind a bolted on suspension part.

I tried vin ending in 417 - 427 - 317 - 327 and it still shows it's incorrect.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Bill,I did an 'Auto Check' ( like carfax but different company..) before buying, this is what came back..

Report run date: July 26, 2016 17:22:26 EDT
1990 Gillig Partially built from factory
VIN: 46GED0427L2051317 Year: 1990 Make: Gillig Model: Partially built from factory Style/Body: City Transit Bus
Accident Check
Reported Accidents: 0
Title and Problem Check
Your vehicle checks out
Odometer Check
Your vehicle checks out
Last Reported Odometer: 32,878
Class: Unspecified Engine: 10.4L V8 Diesel Country of Assembly: United States Vehicle Age: N/A Calculated Owners: N/A

when you say it shows it's incorrect when you try to add it.., how are you checking it.. or at what point in the process does it show incorrect?

just curious..

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
when you say it shows it's incorrect when you try to add it.., how are you checking it.. or at what point in the process does it show incorrect?

just curious..

M/C-W

The incorrect is coming to me with a trade industry vehicle checker for parts crossover. All other vin#s I've checked for our site crosses over but that doesn't mean that this one wasn't entered correctly into their data base.

My suggestion, verify the vin# with the frame stamping.

VIN Lookup Results if it was correct would look like this to me

VIN Lookup Results
Manufacturer Gillig - Incomplete Vehicle - USA
Make Gillig
Model Year 1990
Model Incomplete Vehicle
Engine Manufacturer Caterpillar
Engine Series 3208
Engine Capacity V8, 10.4L (636 CID)
Fuel Type Diesel
Vehicle Type Bus
Chassis 40 - Foot or incomplete vehicle
Brake System Air
Country United States
Assy. Plant Hillsboro, TX

~~~ Your results gave me this ~~~

VIN Lookup Results
The VIN number you entered is invalid. Please enter a valid VIN Number.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
sounds slightly strange, eh... 2 different vin checks coming back..differently.. maybe you are correct below.. great, mine coach is the oddball in the records.. Smiler

quote:
All other vin#s I've checked for our site crosses over but that doesn't mean that this one wasn't entered correctly into their data base.

I ran it around the same time on other free vin check sites and came up with this..

VIN Check:
1990 Gillig Partially built from factory
VIN: 46GED0427L2051317
Style / Body: City Transit Bus
Engine: 10.4L V8 Diesel
Country of Assembly: United States

somethings not jiving..

M/C-W