Forums    General Discussions    Possible Purchase... Your thoughts...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Possible Purchase... Your thoughts...
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I may have an opportunity to purchase a 1988 28-A Regal. It's been in one family all of its life and they've decided to offer it for sale. There is a line waiting to see it and I'm not first in line... so I may not get the chance.

I was wondering your thoughts. 1988 28A with 50,600 miles. If I do get the chance to see it, what would you look for? I realize getting the date code on the tires, wear and tear of the coach, but are there any little things you'd definitely check out? It's been awhile since I've owned a Barth (I owned Mary Ray's 1975 back in the late 90's) and to be honest I'm really excited for this opportunity. I just don't want to get burned...

GaryC

Posts: 10 | Location: Greensburg, IN | Member Since: 08-27-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
In Dave's post on 2/20/06 is a buyer's check list. Without seeing the Barth first hand I cannot advise you.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kevin... I knew there was a checklist somewhere...

Posts: 10 | Location: Greensburg, IN | Member Since: 08-27-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
One often overlooked thing is the condition of the steel frame that mounts the coach to the chassis. Although the coach itself is aluminum, the underside framing is 1" steel, and it has a tendency to rust, especially if driven on salty roads. Good luck and let us know if you get it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Gary, we are also looking for a Barth like the one you have described. In the event that your number comes up and you decide not to buy it, will you please let us know? Have you seen the Barth? Any idea of what they want for it"
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryC: Thank you Kevin... I knew there was a checklist somewhere...

Thank you GaryC for recognizing my work. It is nice to know there is a member who appreciates my help.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the text mid morning... the Barth had sold. I didn't even get to look at it... the search continues..

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Gary, we are also looking for a Barth like the one you have described. In the event that your number comes up and you decide not to buy it, will you please let us know? Have you seen the Barth? Any idea of what they want for it"
Jim
you know Dana's is for sale, right? Excellent unit. The only twin to mine.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Jim
you know Dana's is for sale, right? Excellent unit. The only twin to mine.

It sure is a nice Barth. Even if it would fit in my garage (which it won't), we need something smaller and less costly to maintain. Why I ever sold Old Blue is a good question. Not a very smart idea. If I wait long enough, Roger will sell it back to me.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard.. yes I watch (read lust after) the for sale items constantly. I've got one left in college and then grad school. My budget is $10K... so that's what I do.. keep watching.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
That's my budget, too, Gary. I would probably go to $12K if it was really good.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B