Tools
Reply To This Topic

Thinking about selling the 86
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
All the discussion with Danny selling his Euro got me thinking again about what happens to my 86.

I have considered selling the 86 but so far not yet. I did not expect the Monarch to come along and it is the last coach I'll ever need. I have many trips to go.

Meanwhile the 86 has now sat unused for almost exactly one year. Never ran better than the day I parked it. Started right up the other day. I have many great memories and always enjoyed the coach but I'm not sure what future it has for me. If I plan to downsize it would be convenient and familiar but I don't know if I should keep it idle for very long. It is stored inside so not getting worse but it deserves to be used.

As you know it has to be the most documented Regal in the world. Just listing all the things I've done to it/with it would take pages. (I have over 700 photos and 3000 posts here on this site!) Even so, it still has some areas that need attention soon, ie corrosion in wheel wells and cargo bay floors. Also the rear axle gears are the only driveline parts that are not new from radiator back.

I paid $10k for it in 2011. Must have at least another 15k in it now. (I don't really want to know) I know it is not worth $25k on the open market, I probably couldn't get $20k for it so no reason to sell it and take a beating, but if it won't be used... hmm

I started a list of projects, needs and spares.. OMG
Since spring 2011:

Install Hellwig antisway bar
Replace front air bags
New tag axle air bags
Install drive axle air bags
Replace front bearings, calipers and pads.
Replace all brake lines except tag axle
Centramatic wheel balancers (6)
Front tires
Drive tires
Tag tires
Replaced Atwood propane water heater
Replaced Atwood 20k BTU furnace
2 new digital thermostats
Replaced Coleman AC
2 new fantastic vent fans
Installed aux coach engine heater
New radiator, belts and hoses
Power steering pump and lines
New water pump
New 100 amp alternator
New mini starter
New 454HO engine
New TCI RV transmission
Valves ground and camshaft replaced
Affordable TBI fuel injection installed
New Thorley headers
Replaced mufflers, all but one exhaust pipe is new, tail pipes are stainless
New fuel lines, fuel pump
New fuel selector valve, new larger fuel filters
Start (1) and coach batteries (2)
New u-joints
Replace rear axle outer bearings, seals, brake rotors, calipers and pads
Repacked tag axle bearings
Speedhut GPS speedo and tach gauges
Dakota digital cruise control
Replace all running lights with LED
Replace interior lights with LED and fluorescents.
New onboard air compressor and tank, fix air horns
New 26 inch flatscreen TV
New winegard TV antenna
Plexiglass double pane window inserts (4 windows)
New oil cooler and trans cooler
Potable water pump
New vinyl floor in kitchen
New microwave
Progressive Dynamics battery tender

Needs:

Wheel well rust work
New floors in 2 basement cargo bays
Ring and pinion gears, bearings in differential
HVAC heater controls don’t work
Main awning has a broken spring
New shower stall

Spares:
Water pump
Power steering pump
Alternator
Belts hoses
complete distributor, wires, spark plugs
O2 sensor, TPS and MAP sensors
Bulbs, fuses, relays
Brake calipers and pads
U-joints
Front wheel bearings
Spare wheel/tire on roof
Spare air bags for drive and tag axles

Site regulars know this coach as an ongoing traveling project. 124,000 miles now, I put about 40,000 on it since spring 2011. Tires are all less than five years old, I'll get date codes soon.

It is parked in the hangar for the winter but by next spring I will decide whether to keep or not.

Biggest problem for me is: What is this thing worth? Who would want it? hmm

Any comments?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Steve VW, What will you do for projects? Sit around and watch TV like these guys and wish you still had a project?

quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
I was watching Wheeler Dealers on TV last night. They tried to get some car seats recovered, the interior guy told them Velour is no longer available. So any good replacement is all there is, I guess no upholster.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
Watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers and they used Kotto Auto Glass to make an obsolete windshield. Maybe, just maybe, they can reproduce a Barth window and windshield (http://kottoautoglass.com/)

Tom has two Barthmobiles and still watches TV? hmm Ooops

The Regal is indoors and you can take all the time you need to fix her up when you are home in the summer.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the VW isn't done, boat still needs more work, haven't flown the airplane in a while, Dad's boat needs work he can't do anymore, my house downstate needs work to sell, the Monarch needs a few more things.

The Regal needs an oil change and I haven't even got to that, let alone the other projects.

Just thinking, trying to be realistic about my time and energy...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
what kind of plane?/ I have an instrument rating, but medical has expired.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
what kind of plane?/ I have an instrument rating, but medical has expired.

Another Barth pilot! There must be something about the aluminum construction. ROTFLMAO

Bought my 1968 Cessna 172 in 1997 with about 1000 hours total time on it. It now has about 1800 hours on it, new annual and ready to rock. My medical is also expired but my friend Craig flies it now and then to keep it running.

In the big picture I am also considering the sale of the plane. I have not used it for a while. I bought it while I was working and used it to run away on weekends. I made well over 120 trips between home then (Detroit area) and Kalkaska where I live now. Since I no longer go back downstate I have less need for the quick travel mode. Haven't gotten around to the medical and biannual review.

General downsizing underway... nothing immediate, but eventually.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
General downsizing underway... nothing immediate, but eventually.

Tere and I did that in 2011 when we sold our house in Charlotte and moved to TN to help our daughter and son-in-law raise their brand new triplets. Went from living in 3000 sq ft. to about 800 sq ft. However, somehow, a building just grew out of the ground next to that 800 sq ft, that now houses a tractor, a Honda, a Class C Barth, a Minnie Winnie, a Grand Marquis, an old Mercedes and if I can figure out how to cram it in, a Cavalier. Stuff.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I think most of us started flying in a Cessna 150, and then onto a 172. I have owned a Cessna 140, an Aronca Chief and a Grumman TR3. Still really fond of old tail draggers.

After I got my instrument rating, I thought I might get a commercial license, got about half way through, got a promotion at the job and got to busy.

So expensive to buy any aircraft these days and rental is also, guess it is a thing of past for me.

Barth pilot now ..lol

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post