Forums    General Discussions    '93 34' Regency w/Turbo Cummings?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

'93 34' Regency w/Turbo Cummings?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted
I need any information someone might have regarding the Barth Regency, 1993 34' w/turbo Cummings power. I've only had Barths on the Chevy P30 chassis with the 454 and would appreciate any insight as to reliability, any problems they might have, current value, etc.
Thanks,
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Current NADA shows a value between $35,810 and $43,140 with an original suggested list price of about $225,000. I currently own a '93 32ft Regency on a Gillig chassis with a 300HP Cat 3208. We have owned the coach for about one year and have put about 4000 miles on it without any major problems. I have replaced the starter, one chassis battery, and two of the rear air bags. Other than that just normal oil and filter changes type of maintenance.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nick, for the info. I looked at a coach that was a ’93 Barth with a 230 Cummings on a Spartan chassis. It looks a lot like a Breakaway. There’s a ’93 ‘Regency’ shown on page 10 of the Gallery and when comparing that with the 33’ Breakaway, they look identical. Did Barth build both Regency and a Breakaway with the same chassis and engine in ’93. The one I saw actually appears to be the ’93 34’ Regency on a sales lot, which appears on page 11 of the Gallery. It’s really a nice coach, but I’d like to know if anyone knows anything about the one that’s shown on page 11. I definitely need help on this one.
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by herbjohns:
Thanks, Nick, for the info. I looked at a coach that was a ’93 Barth with a 230 Cummings on a Spartan chassis. It looks a lot like a Breakaway. There’s a ’93 ‘Regency’ shown on page 10 of the Gallery and when comparing that with the 33’ Breakaway, they look identical. Did Barth build both Regency and a Breakaway with the same chassis and engine in ’93. The one I saw actually appears to be the ’93 34’ Regency on a sales lot, which appears on page 11 of the Gallery. It’s really a nice coach, but I’d like to know if anyone knows anything about the one that’s shown on page 11. I definitely need help on this one.
Herb

You need to study previous posts on how to identify a Regency or a Breakaway.

There are general guidelines, but a Barth is what a Barth says it is. That is, original documentation or data tag numbers are hard evidence.

As far as soft evidence and generalities, it abounds.

As far as I know, Regencies all had a much more rounded roof edge radius than Breakaways, which had the same tighter radius as Regals. So, I don't know whether to call this soft or hard evidence.

Regencies generally had the Gillig or Spartan Mountain Master chassis.

Breakaways generally had a Spartan chassis and the Cummins 5.9 engine, but there are exceptions, like the few with the CAT 3116.

Regencies generally had a side radiator, at least with the Gillig. Can't remember on the Mountain Master Regency.

Studying the Barth Regency brochure on the Barth CD will help. I do not know if anyone has a Breakaway brochure they will share. That would really help.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My guess is that if it has the Cummins 5.9L, it's most assuredly a Breakaway.

Another consistent feature of Breakways is that the center console (with the radio and HVAC controls) is parallel to the dash; on Regencies, it's angled toward the driver.

AFAIK, all Breakways were on a fully sprung Spartan chassis, although apparently some of the 32'/33's had air assist (and maybe some 30's).

Except for one apparent prototype, no Breakaway has a widebody.

But as bill h points out, the only (usually) conclusive proof is the data tag; on a few individual transitional coaches, the data tag is confusing, but for the vast majority of Barths, it'll nail down the model.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help!
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
My guess is that if it has the Cummins 5.9L, it's most assuredly a Breakaway.

Yes, that might be the only statement without exception. Probably due to the heavier weight of the Regency. Most other things we think we know about Barths end up having exceptions. Frowner

quote:
AFAIK, all Breakways were on a fully sprung Spartan chassis, although apparently some of the 32'/33's had air assist (and maybe some 30's).

There were several Breakaways on Gillig chassis. One is owned by a member in B.C. Beeoh, I think.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Called the owner and got the data tag and it is a Breakaway. Last sequence is 33BS4B. The dealer in So Cal sold it as a 34' Regency and it's listed as such on his purchase contract. Unfortunately, it ain't. Once again thanks to those who have helped me in resolving this issue.
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Herb, could you please post a link to this coach so no one else gets pulled in.

What is the whole data tag number?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
9212383633BS4B is the data tag number for this coach. The couple who have it really believed it was a Regency and I'm not sure what they'll do now. What a shame some one did this to them. Since it's listed as a 34' Regency on P 11 of the Gallery, maybe that pic should be pulled or re-listed as a 33' Breakaway.
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since it's listed as a 34' Regency on P 11 of the Gallery, maybe that pic should be pulled or re-listed as a 33' Breakaway.
Check and advise. http://barthmobile.com/gallery11.shtml

Can you please post a link to the sale of this Barth where it is listed as a 34 Regency

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I certainly think the current owner would have a cause for action against the dealer, since there is a significant price difference between Regencies and Breakaways.

I suspect California laws are at least as strict as Florida's concerning dealer misrepresentation. In FL, the dealer would have no defense even if it was sold to him as a Regency. Also in Florida, the customer wouldn't have to sue the dealer, merely notify DMV's Dealer Licensing Branch. RV dealers have to post a $10,000 bond just for such claims.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Talked to the owner today and he is going to take action. He said it was an established RV dealer in Southern CA. Last night after I talked to him he got his sales contract out and verified it was sold to him as a 34' Regency. I believe it was the couple's first RV. What a way way to get introduced to the life of RVing.
For Bill,the title for the pic on p 11 is now correct. Here's where I found the coach; http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/rvs/803822291.html
Don't know how to post a link.
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night after I talked to him he got his sales contract out and verified it was sold to him as a 34' Regency.
It also shrunk a foot too, now it's a 33' Barth Breakaway. How long has he owned this RV for?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
This is an absolute prime example of why all members should request the Data Tag Number before any papers are signed and absolutely before any money changes hands. Mad

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post