Forums    General Discussions    '93 34' Regency w/Turbo Cummings?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

'93 34' Regency w/Turbo Cummings?
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
This is an absolute prime example of why all members should request the Data Tag Number before any papers are signed and absolutely before any money changes hands. Mad

Nick

I would advise that any prospective buyer get the tag numbers in the first communication.

This site should require that all ads have a photo of the data tag.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
This site should require that all ads have a photo of the data tag.
I agree, all ads should have that info. Currently, it's only a suggestion (Try to include the "Data Tag" info in your post). Does anyone want to volunteer to collect that info for our site? I'll put it in each ad.

We're doing a great job of educating our members and guests. This is the 3rd time that we've been able to catch a potential "Bad Sale". In this case, I do not believe that the current owners, and maybe even the dealership, knew that they we're selling a Breakaway instead of a Regency.

Since I started trying to collect this info back on 8/26/07...

For several years now I've been trying to get a topic going on the "Barth Data Tag Build Numbers"

...we've gotten better at decoding this stuff, thanks in a very large part to Nick Cagle continuing efforts. There is no reason why this shouldn't be mandatory for all "BARTH COACHES FOR SALE"

If you don't supply the info, for all we know, you could be selling a Regal passing it off as a Regency. While that's a heck of a leap, first time purchasers of a Barth might not know the difference.

If you haven't done so yet, I implore you, please contribute the DATA TAG NUMBER to our list.

Bill H said it best the other day.
quote:
Originally posted by bill h on 9/6/08:
Nick is doing too much good hard work not to have the full support and cooperation of everyone.

This forum takes money, time and effort. It can prosper only with the input of members.
Expect to see a new intro header in the "Barth Coaches For Sale Forum" soon.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
In reply to Bill's question; "How long has he owned this RV for?", I believe about 6 years. The saga's getting a little strange, however. I returned an earlier call from the fellow today and he gave me the reply he got when he contacted the salesman today. Something to the effect it was a 'specdial order Regency interior on a Breakaway base and so it was a Regency'. I tried to, again, explain the Data Tag information, adding that I would be glad to talk to the salesman.
Given the replies to my question, and this experience, I must totally agree with the recent responses regarding Data Tags. In as much as the company no longer exists this web site remains the most viable alternative for Barth owners. And for that I am most grateful.
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For starters, I suspect there is no such thing as "special order Regency Interior"; each Barth could be ordered with different appointments. My Breakaway has all-cloth upholstery; some others have all leather. Mine has Corian in the bathroom and laminate in the kitchen; some others have Corian in both. Mine is fully carpeted; others have ceramic tile or wood + carpet.

What hoists the salesman on his own petard is he claims the "Regency interior" thingy. The only way he could determine that is if he were: a. A Barth expert (which he's obviously not), or b. in possession of the original sales order (which he's obviously not). One can order a deluxe interior on a Camry, but that doesn't make it a Lexus LS 460.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Exactly, Rusty. I bought my first Barth in 1978 and I've always felt all Barths were special. Not having been inside a Regency, or any Barth diesels before, I assumed what I was looking at last week was the real McCoy. It was a really nice coach and the couple that owned it were great. But, a couple of flags arose, so I went on this site to look for comparisons and ask a question. Turns out, the interior of the coach I looked at was identical to the Breakaways pictured. I'm sorry the owners were misled. In the 'for what it's worth' department, it was purchased from West Coast RVs in Pomona, CA. A fairly large dealership from what I hear.
This experience demonstrates the importance of the Data Tag program and I hope anyone reading this topic that hasn't participated, will.
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
I just have to toss this out so th eowners don't get too depressed....its still a pretty nice rig! (its still a Barth!)

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
As we used to say in Fargo, you betcha!

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Does anyone want to volunteer to collect that info for our site? I'll put it in each ad.

Expect to see a new intro header in the "Barth Coaches For Sale Forum" soon.
I've updated the "For Sale Forum" to reflect...

Because of possible fraud, and in the interest of protecting our members, the "Data Tag" number is now required in "All New Listings".

Comments or suggestions???

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That says what needs to be said. However, I think that there are honest mistakes made, and think maybe "errors" could stand in for "fraud".

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just posting the contact info for the Breakaway that is listed as a Regency

quote:
From the Craigslist ad:
Barth Regency Motorhome - $34000 (Clements)
Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-08-26, 9:09AM PDT

34'
cummins diesel engine
58,500 miles
6 speed allison transmission
leveler jacks
leather captain seats
corian counter tops
oak wood cabinets
new tires
VERY GOOD CONDITION!!

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I agree if this transaction was a case of some sort of fraud, especially when you would want to believe that an RV dealer has a committment NOT to committ that. As a dealer, it is certainly their responsibilty to confirm what they are selling. But I also agree that some individuals actually do just make a mistake. It certainly is a great idea that a "for sale" posting on this site will have some credibility with the inclusion of the data tag.
Also, my 2 cents worth (and I'm NOT standing up for the dealer)...if the asking price was 34K and it was a very nice 33-34' Breakaway, that ain't bad. And if the new owner negoiated a bit (as you can in todays market), then a very reasonable price for a very nice Breakaway could be had. And it's a Barth!!! So I do not believe the new owners are going to lose no matter what the outcome of this issue turns out to be.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

Because of possible fraud, and in the interest of protecting our members, the "Data Tag" number is now required in "All New Listings".

Comments or suggestions???

Totally agree and support!

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post