Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Chat problems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted
Can anyone help me to figure out how to get into CHAT with my new laptop?

It's running Windows Vista, and when I call up the Chat link on the site the figurine shows up fine but then there is an empty screen with one small icon in the top left border. No diagnostics; nothing.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Lou, we can see you leave the room but not enter. Vista may have a filter that doesn't like Chat Rooms because of vulnerability. Send a PM to Rusty. he knows more about these things than any of us.
Good Luck
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I have Vista also and am not very savy re computer stuff. For some reason I was left in the room w/Nick and Mary. I saw Lou leave several times and wondered how he got out without coming in. I dunno!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
......actually I was let into the chat room and I was able to leave.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Hi Dick, Nick, and Lou

I'm running Windows Vista as well, have never had a problem entering or exiting the Chat Room. It will be interesting to hear what Rusty has to say. Wonder if you refresh your screen while you are in there if that will help somewhat, just a thought, Rusty or Bill NY are the ones who will know for sure.......

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
When I right-click on that lonely icon it gives a list that ends with "About Adobe Flash Player 10." But downloading it didn't solve the problem. Confused

I've got a request into Rusty.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have Vista too. I have not had any problems with the chat feature.

Lou sent me a PM asking for help and I ask him to post his question in GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

Hi Bill...

Is there anything I need to know about being able to get on Chat through Vista? I've got a new laptop (old one croaked) and I can get to the dancing figure but then it goes to an empty screen with one skinny icon on the top left.

I was trying to figure out if this was widespread or if he is having a problem that is just limited to him. Maybe someone else here had this problem and you downloaded something to get it to work?

My first suggestion is to get the latest Flash Player Update. Here is the link to The Flashplayer 10 Download Page.

I found that suggestion from the People at Eve/Groupee. This is the hosting company for our forums. I have asked for additional help from their forum seeing that Lou already has the latest version of Flashplayer Installed.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
I have Vista and have not had that problem.

I type and my message ends up in chat space somewhere for quite awhile, I am blaming this on my poor connection though!

glad you said something Lou, I was starting to get a complex, that you where waiting for me to leave! LOL
JOY

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Joy, I hate when that happens.......

See you this weekend!

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Here Lou, direct from Paul Gude, his title is "Groupee Virtuoso" aka tech support/in charge man... try this and update your info here. I will keep the people at Eve/Groupee updated on your progress.
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Gude:
Have your user try going to this address:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

It displays what version of Flash the user is running.

If it *doesn't* display properly, it means there's a problem with Flash.

If it does display, they can:

1) Clear their cookies
2) Clear their browser cache
3) Close then re-open the browser
4) Re-Log into the site and try to log into chat

This may also not solve the problem, however.

We've run into a few tickets where for some reason, one individual computer simply won't connect to chat. So, for a worse case scenario, have them try connecting somewhere else.

While it may not be convenient, at least they'll know where the problem is.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the try, Bill.

I went down the list and still have the same problem.

I'll talk to my tech on this end tomorrow to see whether he has any ideas. I did notice that the one diagnostic I finally found came from Adobe Flash Player and it said something to the effect that "Can't find camera." Don't know whether that's a stopper or not.

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
It just occurred to me that this problem I'm having might be related to the fact that I have a wireless connection at home. In browsing through the innards of my Windows Firewall I saw a reference to wirelessness Computer

So today I shall take my laptop to work and try Chat there. If that doesn't work I will use my work laptop to try to get in.

Hate to be missing the chat amongst the gang visiting Michigan. Might simply have to get out of my chair and go see them. What a refreshing idea!

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Lou... when you do get it to work, let me know what you did (step by step) to fix the problem.

Thanks for the updates

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Bill: I took the laptop to work and still can't get in. I had my tech look at the problem and he is baffled, as well. He supplied both laptops I've got on my desk right now and one acesses Chat just fine; mine does not.

We turned off the firewall settings and virus scanning, as well.

My tech is wondering whether there is some setting in my new laptop that is causing the stop that we just don't know about. He will pursue it and may have questions for your people somewhere down the line.

I'll be in touch.

Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lou... when you do get it to work, let me know what you did (step by step) to fix the problem.

Thanks for the updates

Bill N.Y.

Hi Bill.....
Last night I decided to try Chat again and the 1st try bombed. So I turned off my Internet Security system (firewall?). The software is written by Trend Micro Internet Security. I got right in!

So now I'm faced with two choices:
1. Keep trying to alter the options within this software package until I can get past the "glitch", or
2. Get another software package that is known to allow Chat without encountering the problems I've experienced.

Tomorrow I'll see which software package my work laptop is running since I don't have these problems with that one. And, if it's not too expensive, I'll simply replace my present one. If you or anyone else has another suggestion I would appreciate it.