Tools
Reply To This Topic

Age of for sale ads
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Perhaps this is mostly a "Bill" question, but I thought we all might have an opinion.

I notice in the Barth Coaches for Sale section of the website there are ads that go back almost three years. I wonder if they are current or just kept on until the something is yanked. Not that it bothers me, but a three year old ad for an RV in this market isn't likely to ever sell until it becomes an antique. My suggestion, a 12 month "time out" to keep the fruit fresh.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
Incredibly enough I have called some of the older ads and they are still there. As little Barth information as is available I think they have significant value as proof positve what a
Barth is not worth!

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
First, the funny answer: Yes, I am currently accepting applications that will make my life easier. Big Grin Are you volunteering? ROTFLMAO

Second, the real answer: Thank you for that question. It's a legitimate question and one that we've struggle with earlier on. But to get the answer you'll have to read...

..."What makes Barthmobile tick?"

We have a small group of moderators on our site who have discussed this same question you have raised. The same thing was said in regards to a time frame. Yes, there was also concerns about overburdening me with more stuff to do.

It was decided by "The Basement Dwellers" that the criteria should be...
. 1) An honest ad: If you are trying to scam someone by selling a Breakaway or Regal as a Regency it will be yanked.
. 2) Relevancy: Is it still For Sale? If so, it should stay regardless of the age.

In addition to these two items, I think that I've made that area as "User Friendly" as possible.
  • Each ad has the State listed as the first thing in the header. I've even included our 51st State too. Big Grin
  • I also have a map that pinpoints locations of Barths for sale. Any member who is selling a Barth is listed on that map.
  • Anyone can report a coach that is not active by clicking this image , and reporting it. That image is located in each post.
  • All Barths that have sold are moved to an archival area. The Sold Forum is a valuable research tool.
As with most things on our site, member participation is key to our success. If you know of an ad that is not current I will move it. Just go to the ad in question and click this icon , located in the lower right corner. Leave a brief statement and I'll research it some more.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
I am a new seller, however, there is both yes and no in this question I believe. "Stale" ads really don't look good, but I can certainly use them as a 'bargaining tool' and it can help one to arrive at a price for their coach, why haven't the other Barths sold, is it the price, or condition, or something else. Personally, I don't believe there is a right answer, but a savvy buyer, and seller, could use "older" listings to their advantage. Just a thought...

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I definitely don't think we want to add to your workload, I don't know how you find the time now to do the excellent job of moderating you do.

My simple suggestion would cause no extra work - the ad lasts for one year then disappears. The seller would then need to reissue as a new ad. This would make them think and reflect as to the validity, one would hope, and would eliminate any ads that have grown stale through forgetfulness.
Simple and self regulating with the added benefit of making the seller think a little bit about the situation.

Just my two cents of course. I don't agree that overpriced machines help sell more moderate priced machines, I think it psychologically drags the the entire experience down for a buyer to see Barths that are not moving. Think of the used car lots where nothing ever sells, would you buy there or the constantly rotating stock dealer?

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I like stale ads just because they are pictures and information.

The asking price in a stale ad has no value, other than entertainment. The selling price, however, is quite useful, even in this day of declining RV prices. Sadly, the selling price is seldom shared here.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post