Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Emblem Rivets
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted
Has anyone re-riveted their Barth Emblems? I don't know how to determine grip range. Is there a tool for that? I've searched the internet and haven't found anything, probably because I don't know what to call such a tool.

I'm also a little worried about breaking the emblem with a standard aluminum rivet. The emblem doesn't look or feel very sturdy. Are there specialty rivets with easy-break mandrels?

I don't really want to glue it.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Quinn, Here is where I purchased my rivets for my Barth.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin, though I wasn't really looking for a source; I know of a couple including the one you listed above.

What I was really looking for was rivet size and advice. I really am a noob when it comes to all of this stuff. Things that are obvious to a lot of people who hang out here are not obvious to me. The first rivet I drilled on my Barth was the first rivet I drilled in my life. The first piece of molding I replaced on my Barth was the first in my life (thus why I boneheadedly tried to slide the whole thing in from the end). The first window I resealed on my Barth was the first of my life.

Do I need soft-set rivets ( http://www.hansonrivet.com/soft-set-blind-rivets.htm )?

I REALLY REALLY don't want to break the emblem trying to rivet it, and it seems like it might break with a standard rivet. But I don't know. Someone out there in barthmobile land has had to have done this. If you did, and just used a standard aluminum rivet, can you just say: "Standard aluminum rivets are fine and I used x" y-z grip range. Stop worrying you ninny."

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aluminum blind rivets with aluminum mandrel. Remember I said I would send you some. I have not picked up your last molding piece yet. Should get over there this week.

No worries

Cheers

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
I ended up using 1/8" closed end all-aluminum with a 3/16" - 1/4" grip range.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn:
I ended up using 1/8" closed end all-aluminum with a 3/16" - 1/4" grip range.

Thanks Quinn, My Barth emblem is not a Barth original. My rivets were 1/8" also. Post a picture of your emblem when you get back to your Barth.

Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Here it is. Top two rivets are new. On the front. The one on the rear is identical:

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B