Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spare tire carrier 2
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Re: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6963942887

On a pusher type Barth would the heat from the engine deteriorate the tire over time if mounted in the rear or would there be enough air circulating to minimize any potential damage? Or would a metal covering be useful... like the old continental tire kits> http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Continental-Kit.html

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put on anything to obstruct the air flow.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Aside from what Rusty mentioned, I don't think engine heat would cause major degradation to tire rubber, unless you are driving ALL the time. Just think about how hot tires get when rolling! They are engineered to deal with heat, and actually tires do better (last longer) when they are used/rolled on a regular basis... it warms the rubber and circulates the chemicals that prevent dry rot.

UV rays are the biggest enemy of a tire sitting still (such as a spare), so some sort of cover seems like a good idea. I never liked the idea of hard covers that can trap heat or moisture IN, so I went with a breathable cover made of parachute type material. Very inexpensive here on Ebay, lets water come and go while shielding from dirt and UV rays.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post