Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Motor Home Envy
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
I think all of have a bit of it, even if it is only for a better Barth or more upgrades to the present one.

I see a shrink weekly and take shots and pills for it, but I have always thought that it would be nice to have a Prevost.

We spent last week at Jalama Beach, and being the only one up late (we have a wind- proof firepit) and an inveterate dog walker, I met a lot of folks. The most interesting was a retired doctor who bought a new luxury coach every two or three years. We discussed the merits of country Coaches, Beavers, Foretravels, Birds, etc. He had always wanted a Prevost, too, so finally bought one. He owned it for only a few months. He HATED it! It was a Country Coach interior, but the chassis systems were not good, it was top heavy, and badly affected by winds, semis, rutted roads. He said his wife got to where she would not allow their daughter to travel in it, she was so uneasy in it. He said he "really took a bath" on getting rid of it. Don't know what that means in dollars, but I suspect that amount would buy MANY, if not all of the coaches we own.

So, I have turned down the knob on my Prevost envy.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh Grasshoppa, you did not seek....but you did find. Good story, good lesson.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has bought Foretravels every 2-3 years. He claims that he only loses about $4500 a month in depreciation and writes it off as a business expense. That always makes me feel better to know I'm not losing that much.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey billh, just noticed in one of your posts (towing question by Linda) that you are an avid motorcycle rider. I identify with your GPZ550 and GPZ750, sweet bikes. Wish I'd kept the first year 550 I bought back when.

Talking about 2-up and some added seat space, have you looked at the ZRX-bikes? Lots of torque, and with the addition of a Corbin or Sargent, pretty good seat room too. Kind of heavy, but a really user-friendly scooter.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I love them. My commuter is the 550. The earlier ones were a little better for me, as the Unitrak is a pain when the fish oil breaks down. The older ones can use Girlings or whatever and springs can be changed.

Thanks for the tip on the ZRXs. Have you packed on the ZRX? We are both over 6 ft and heavy.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Hey Ron, I had an 82 GPZ 750. Boy was that a fun bike! So when the ZRX 1200R was released, I ran out and bought one. A beautiful bike with unbelievable torque. Maybe because I'm 20 years older I don't find the ZRX to be as much "Fun" as the GPZ was. What I really believe is this ZRX is so much heavier than the GPZ that I'm unable to whip through corners like the GPZ. As a matter of fact, I find the ZRX extremely slow turning in the corners. However if you're looking for a great drag/cruise bike for straight line riding, you might like the ZRX. For me, the ZRX has so much power I found myself going way too fast too often.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill: I have only travelled one-up with some soft luggage. Several of the younger guys in our "club" (the ZRXOA) ride 2-up a lot.

Larry: For what it is, the ZRX does very well IMHO. It doesn't compare to my CBR or the ZX6/7/9 series for handling though. I put a RaceTech kit in the forks and a set of Works shocks on the rear and helped the handling out a lot. If you don't get everything "balanced" she sure does like to waltz in bumpy corners though. The guys who have torn into their rear shocks report finding significant variations in the nitrogen pressure from shock to shock. That has to contribute to the dance card. Also the concentric adjusters are either marked incorrectly or the flippin alignment is off on some too. My rear was a full mark off on one ZRX but the latest one seems to be spot-on. Gotta love that torque though. :-)

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bill, just a quick note, your magazines are on the way...Ed

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Motorcycles, I woulld like to nominate my Suzuki GSX1100G as one of the best sport cruisers I have ever thrown a leg over. It does it all well! They don't import them to the US anymore. I have a '93 and a '91. The '91 has a factory fairing & bags. I bought it from an RV deale who took it in on trade w/ 2000 mi. on it. My '93 I took in trade for a Harley that I bought new And didn't like. I also have a 1500LC, and ride 2up on all of them.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post