Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1985 35 ft Aluminum Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
i am looking at a 1985 35 ft aluminum bodied Barth. Detroit 8.2 Diesel Pusher. I already know the 8.2 may be a big negative. I am told that the chassis is a MCC. I have read many posts about the Mcc chassis but they all sem to be about a fiberglas coach that was built differently than a typical Barth. Please give me the collective wisdom on the Aluminum body MCC chassis 1985 Barth. Thanks, Will

Posts: 4 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 04-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
The fiberglass MCC was only built in late 1981 and 1982. 83-84-85 were like the coach you are looking at. Other than a change in the skin everthing else is the same. Keep searching on MCC and make sure you read them all before you make your decision. By the way do now or have you every owned an MG?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No MG but a 1963 TR 3 Triumph. And a 1947 Ford Gas Pusher Transit Bus Converted to a M/H.And Lived aboard a 32, 46, and 57 FT sailboat. And 6 VW Westfalias, a 28 ft Safari Trek Isuzu chassis, Suzuki Sammy Tow'd. Am I certifiable?

Posts: 4 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 04-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will I got your message but not your phone #.

Call me back at 309 797 2319 and I will give you all the information you need on the MCC chasis or 8.2 engine. I sold mine last winter but over the past 3 years I got to know it pretty well.
Morrie

Morrie

Posts: 4 | Location: Moline, Il | Member Since: 07-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Will it has been my theory that the person who would be delighted with an MCC chassis is the same guy who has MG experience. You buy one of these babies and get it just right you will be on this website telling us that motorhome is a marvel of engineering right up there with laproscopic surgery. And the rest of us will be sitting back saying,, now there's an MG guy for sure.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I never knew until now that my ancient automotive history is what set me on the path to become a Barther. While my Barth is a P-30, I once made an offer on the MCC-chassis, plastic-bodied FMC knock-off. Indeed I earlier made an offer (also rejected) on an original FMC.

This all must have resulted from the fact that I once owned a brand new MG TD. It was so long ago that the car I ordered was the TC. I was at first disappointed when they delivered a TD, but I soon learned to love the car. All except the Lucas electrics.

The TD was an early production model and was recalled to replace the pistons which had been improperly ground.

I raced & rallied the bejeezus out of that little machine, and sold it for more than I paid for it when my highly pregnant wife could no longer get her fat little tummy past the corner of the dash (sorry, the facia panel). The tummy bulge that forced me to sell the car is a grandmother herself now, four times over. Jeez, I must be getting old.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lucas Electric - "The Prince of Darkness"...

I met Will a couple of weeks ago, and we had an enjoyable time - at least it was for me. He'd not had all that much contact with Barths, so we met at the repair shop where StaRV II was having its A/C evacuated...

In any event, I'm no expert on the FMC/MCC "Barths", but from what I've seen on FMCs, they're pretty much well-made, and from what I hear, handle very well. I looked at one nearby (a totally restored FMC 29'), but it had the Chrysler 440 (an orphaned prime mover) and not enough basement storage. I did momentarily lust after another FMC 29' with a Duramax and Allison conversion, but the very desireable drivetrain didn't offset the lack of basement and the dated interior arrangement.

If it were I (which it ain't), I'd not be particularly enthused about the GM 8.2L, although that would be the only weak point in the rig if the reports about how well the MCCs handled is true.

But if it's called a Barth, it's a Barth, and I just don't think from my limited experience that Barth ever made a dog. Even StaRV II, with its absurdly short wheelbase would seem to have handling issues, yet it doesn't.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post