Tools
Reply To This Topic

Thinking about selling the Barth for an SOB
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Kevin rebuilt the leveler cylinders; maybe he still has part numbers, etc.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Let us getting back to your levelers, Fred. I do have the part numbers for the repair of the kick down on the 16000 pound jacks. I did not have trouble with the main lift. If I remember you have the lighter jacks on your Barth.
Any decent hydraulic shop will be able to replace the seals for way less than $1000 each. Your jacks should easily come off of the bus. Four bolts an electrical sensor and a hydraulic line and you might save a pile of money, by taking them to a hydraulic shop for repair.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd give Gerard Olinger a call at 337-334-8099; billyt53 recommended him for rebuilding the parking brake actuator on my Barth. He may be able to rebuild the HWH cylinders. HWH's prices for cylinder rebuild are absurd.

And Kevin's suggestion of a local hydraulic shop could also work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. The whole system needs work including the hydraulic lines and pump. I don't mind paying extra for a quality job that is guaranteed and HWH should provide that. I can get the Barth there in about six hours. It will take longer though, Cindy and her sister will want to shop along the way. I will let you know how it all turns out.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
When still farming I faced several problems with hydraulics and found that help was close at hand. Call a local tractor dealer, tell them the situation and ask for help. I have used a fellow about an hour away to make up hoses, visited him and followed the UPS truck to his shop. He was shipping all over the country. Unless your cylinders are corroded it is mostly disassembling, cleaning, flushing, replacing O-rings and reassembling. Pumps generally the same thing but there could be some problem requiring a replacement, just another few boat bucks.
Good luck,
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As Tim mentioned, about the only thing that can't be refurbed by an independent shop is the controller (although sometimes they can). HWH seems to assume everyone is a Newell or Prevost owner, awash in $$$.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Just a note from someone who did what you are thinking of doing . I sold my Breakaway and purchased a brand new Itasca Solie. Seemed to be the right thing to do at the time. It took 4 tries to get the drivers window fixed, the rear bed fell apart (literally) three trips to find the leak that dripped on the dash . The dash air failed and that was the first year.I have since sold the Solie (and could have bought and junked 2 Breakaways for what I lost on the new one). I held my breath every time in used the slides, the first time out I almost crushed the drivers seat because it was reclined.
Keep the regency, If you must also look at BlueBird along with other mentioned brands. Pre 2000 Safari are aluminum
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Just a note from someone who did what you are thinking of doing. Keep the regency, Wayne

Thanks Wayne! Experience is a good teacher, although a severe teacher.
Sorry Sorry to hear of your troubles with a SOB Sorry

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Here is an update on my levelers. We traveled to Moscow, IA to the HWH factory earlier this week. They checked all my jacks and to my surprise they were all actually good. Problem was the pump was putting out about 1200 PSI which is way too weak to operate the jacks. There was also water in the hydraulic lines. Not sure how water got there but it was there. So, they put on a new pump and reservoir, flushed out the lines and put in fresh fluid. They also checked the entire system and tested it several times to ensure everything was working properly. It took them only a few hours to get it done. So far everything works fine. Parts and labor came to around $900. So, it looks like we will be keeping our Barth a while longer. We are headed out to Colorado Springs next week for a 10 day trip.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it fixed. Thumbs Up

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the Barth is staying.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Don't sell that thing yet. Get it all fixed up and I'll buy it. I haven't got a Regency yet, after all. ROTFLMAO

Would be good to have a trailer and a nice class C too...

Like I need any more projects. wack

I can see how the choice to sell coach would be tough. With a new paint job it will look awesome sharp.

If you are planning extended stays in warm areas, an attached screen room is a great addition, literally. We really liked ours on the Regal. 8 x 18, 3 sides, fully screened. We put our picnic table and several chairs and end tables inside. Ice maker and small fridge, too.

Only down side it takes a couple hours to get it all set up, floors and side panels that attach to the coach, etc.

I know where there's a nice Class C and it's getting nicer every day. ROTFLMAO

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post