Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Memorial Day 2010
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My family lucked out. Out of a whole bunch, no KIA and only one grandfather and one son WIA.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather, whom I was named after, was in WWII. I met him a few times during summer vacation when I was a little boy. Sadly, it always was the same thing. The second the fireworks started, he turned into a different person.

He was in the first waves that stormed the beaches in Normandy and saw quite a bit of action. He never talked about it...

He passed away before I turned 13...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
On a lighter note....One time I walked into a nursing home in Fayetteville NC. A woman sitting right by the front door sees me and guitar and says "oh, nooooo." Since it was my first time there, I figured her opinion was, as yet, unqualified. I asked why she said that? She replied, "well, my ex husband was a guitar picker and I hate him so I hate you too."

So the Chief gave a wonderful speech on how our country needed to restore Decoration Day instead of Mattress sales on Memorial Day. Several members or our big band are retired military musicians, so the 3 of us there did a stirring (imho) set of patriotic tunes + hymns. As always, when we do the Star Spangled Banner, they rise from their wheelchairs in reverence. When that was over, we received 2 requests; The Look Of Love and Bridge over Troubled Water. (?) Well, a jazz guitar/vocal, piano, and trombone did the best we could with that; but it reminds me that the 70 yr old +/- residents were in their 20's in the 1960's! At another nursing home years ago, after I'd played 3 or 4 standards, a woman rolled up in her wheelchair and asked "don't you know any Beatles' songs?"

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post