Tools
Reply To This Topic

I am going in for repairs
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
As you know, I like to type responses/post to the point that there is no questions as what I am trying to convey.

Starting tomorrow, most of my responses will be limited, shorter, more to the point, less punctuations and capitalization etc... I might not even respond to a couple of posts that I normally would chime in on.

Ok... quiet down, stop the applause. Big Grin

I will lose the ability to type with both hands. I have to go in for surgery that'll limit my computer use. Carpal tunnel is affecting my left hand and I also have a nasty nodule that is limiting this same hand to the point that I am in some serious pain, my hand is going numb and I am dropping things now. Thumbs Down

Both of these are supposed to be rather safe and easy surgeries. I hope so, I can't really afford to be down for too long. Frowner

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the hand Bill. Hope it goes well and recovery is speedy.

Hard to earn a living as a one handed mechanic. Sorry

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Bill, is the "nodule" a calcium buildup on a tendon in the upper palm? Starts out small and grows over the years to the point you can't straighten out your hand? I've had it in my right hand for about 12 years and my left for a couple. It can be corrected by surgery but it costs a bunch and takes a long time to heal, 6 months +, neither of which would allow me to have it done.
One odd thing I've learned about this is that it only seems to occur in white men of Northern European or Scandinavian descent. Holland and England for me. The only guys I know who have had it are wrench turners, and I've been a nail banger all my life, so I'm inclined to believe that it comes from [miss] using your hands for long periods of time. Although I know how to type properly, I can't anymore and have relearned to not use my pinkies and ring fingers.
Good luck with the tune-up and hope you have a swift recovery.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Bill,

So sorry to hear about your situation, but even if you're slowed to half speed you'll be twice as fast as most in your responses and advice.

Good luck and speedy recovery to you!!

Corey and Cheri

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Glad they have advanced in this surgery so much. Just be sure you do your part & give it a chance to heal. That is the hardest part.

Let us know if there is anything we can do from our end of things.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I distinctly recall those problems originating when you were hard at work underneath Nick's coach......
That's the story and ya need to stick to it!..... Click (Think this through...you have been
looking for a DP, right?......)

Good luck!

The Other Lee

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Bill,

I distinctly recall those problems originating when you were hard at work underneath Nick's coach......
That's the story and ya need to stick to it!..... Click (Think this through...you have been
looking for a DP, right?......)

Good luck!

The Other Lee
But He wants a big un. cheers

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Bill, is the "nodule" a calcium buildup on a tendon in the upper palm? Starts out small and grows over the years to the point you can't straighten out your hand?... and takes a long time to heal, 6 months +,... The only guys I know who have had it are wrench turners... I'm inclined to believe that it comes from [miss] using your hands for long periods of time... have relearned to not use my pinkies and ring fingers. ...hope you have a swift recovery.
Yes, it is as you described Danny. I was told 4 weeks, not 6+ months... maybe they've perfected the technique? When was the last time you talked to your doctor about this? I type like you do with my left hand, my right hand seems ok for now. Thanks for the well wishes Danny.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Good luck with those procedures. It is amazing what medicine can do today to fix you up quickly Thumbs Up! And you can tell Lee has been around D.C. too long, as his response is that of a typical lawyer Wink.......

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Hope all goes well for you Bill.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
Hey bill; jicih (just in case it helps), I've been a tablet pc user forever, with its very good speech recognition software. However, I believe speech recognition was built into Office XP + later. (forgive me but I know not about mac's); but I use speech recognition constantly, and even without 'training' it/me, it gets 95%. My laptop does well even with its built in mic. jicih....
Hope you recover quickly.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When my buddy Nick had his done was about 5 years ago, and it took many months before he could turn a wrench again, and he never could return to it as a profession. He was about 63 at the time so retirement was coming up pretty quick anyway.
Not related to the hand problems, but Nick passed away last week. His son Mark Tychonowizc [sp?] still runs modified out of Rochester

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Bill NY, Good luck with operations, heal quickly and listen to your physical therapist. My dell laptop came with Vista home premium and it contained a voice recognition program, pretty neat. All is not lost! D.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Good luck Bill! Marvin had a build up removed from one hand a couple years ago, took about 4 weeks to heal, but it is still not right. Should went to a better doctor. He was told it was the long steering wheel holding and shifting the 18 gears of a semi truck that done it. Go figure.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/11
Picture of Scott and Debbie
posted Hide Post
Bill, Hope all goes well! If they can rebuild joints and tendons on football players with impact injuries, this will work out fine. Just make sure that you do your physical therapy, when they let you. My nephew blew out his knee in college and when he woke-up from his operation he was on an electric mobilizer moving his leg for him. It's amaizing what they can do.

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post