Forums    General Discussions    Which of the following makes you say no!!!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Which of the following makes you say no!!!
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I need to fine a display setting that is compatible with most browsers sizes.

I want to know which image causes you to scroll.

Image 1 Above Picture

Image 2 Above Picture

Image 3 Above Picture

Image 4 Above Picture

Image 5 Above Picture

This is for image uploads to our site. Please take a few minutes to let me know which one causes you to scroll Horizontally and which image causes you to scroll Vertically.

It could be 2 different images for your answer.

Question:

First Question...

Which image cause you to Scroll Sideways/Horizontally to see it?

Choices:
Image 1 is the first image that caused me to scroll Sideways/Horizontally.
Image 2 is the first image that caused me to scroll Sideways/Horizontally.
Image 3 is the first image that caused me to scroll Sideways/Horizontally.
Image 4 is the first image that caused me to scroll Sideways/Horizontally.
Image 5 is the first image that caused me to scroll Sideways/Horizontally.

Question:

Second Question...

Which image cause you to Scroll Up & Down/Vertically to see it?

Choices:
Image 1 is the first image that caused me to scroll Scroll Up & Down/Vertically.
Image 2 is the first image that caused me to scroll Scroll Up & Down/Vertically.
Image 3 is the first image that caused me to scroll Scroll Up & Down/Vertically.
Image 4 is the first image that caused me to scroll Scroll Up & Down/Vertically.
Image 5 is the first image that caused me to scroll Scroll Up & Down/Vertically.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My Answer & Vote...
Image 3 is the first image that caused me to scroll Scroll Up & Down/Vertically.
Image 4 is the first image that caused me to scroll Sideways/Horizontally.

Your answers will help us shape future applications. Computer

[edited] To better describe the poll question [edited]
The question is: which image was the first image that caused you to scroll _______________________?

There can only be ONE FIRST of anything.

2 distinctly different questions

Which image was...

...THE FIRST IMAGE that caused you to scroll Sideways/Horizontally?

...THE FIRST IMAGE that caused you to scroll Up & Down/Vertically?

Unless you take this quiz with 3 different computers, each with a different display setting, there is ONLY ONE answer for each question.

If I edited this in the "Poll Itself", the votes counted so far would zero out.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on screen size and resolution.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
A lot depends on screen size and resolution.
We all have different settings based on personal preferences. I'm trying to get a feel for what others see when an image is uploaded. Keep in mind... when I set something up on our site, I can only set it up based on what I can see for myself.

Do you have another suggestion for how I should do this? Computer

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

I noticed that when I voted I did not need to scroll image 2 but when it popped up on the Barthmobile site after I voted I did need to scroll vertically to see all of image 2 as the headers on the pages were slightly larger than on your original post.

Also, a lot of my vendors require that images be submitted at a certain size so they will fit in the alloted space. Usually it is x pixels by y pixels but an easier way to size a picture is x inches by y inches at z dpi (usually 96 dpi as this the maximum screen resolution for PC's - Mac's max screen resolution is 72 so they may appear slightly larger on a MAC).

Carl

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
had to check 3-4-5 only could check one on both questions.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
had to check 3-4-5 only could check one on both questions.
The question is: which image was the first image that caused you to scroll _______________________?

There can only be ONE FIRST of anything.

2 distinctly different questions

Which image was...

...THE FIRST IMAGE that caused you to scroll Sideways/Horizontally?

...THE FIRST IMAGE that caused you to scroll Up & Down/Vertically?

Unless you took this quiz with 3 different computers, each with a different display setting, there is ONLY ONE answer for each question.

I'll go back to the poll and edit it to place more emphasis on "THE FIRST IMAGE"

ARGH... Will have to edit the second post instead. If I did edit this poll, I would have lost all of the results that I've compiled so far.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
#3 for me in both cases. My laptop and desktop(s) are 17" screens, resolution at 1024x768 or similar, and as a personal preference I rarely view the internet with the browser window maximized. It's at about 75-80% of screen size.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
no. 3 vertically but only just by a fraction. I can see almost the whole picture.

no. 4 horizontally.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I voted for #3 in both cases because that was with our laptop that we use in the Barth and, in fact, use most of the time at home too.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have another suggestion for how I should do this?

If I were deciding between two image sizes, I'd favor the smaller to accommodate monitors with lower resolution. If someone is running IE8, there's a feature (accessed via the "page" tab on the upper right toolbar) to allow zooming the page in or out, so images can be blown up or shrunk.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
What you can see is also effected by how much information (tool bars) is contained at the top of your screen when you're online. On my computer, I have the address line at the top followed by tool bars for yahoo, windows and HP (Fax). There used to be a line for Google until I deleted it and stopped using them. After I deleted three of the lines, I could have changed the answer for 1st picture requiring vertical scroll from 3 to 4. Using the F11 feature also eliminates another line allowing more of the image to be seen without scrolling vertically. I typically don't use F11 but the other three lines were unneccesary.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Bump.

If you could please take the time to answer this poll, I would appreciate it.

Your vote (or lack thereof java) will have real consequences for what you see here.

Keep in mind, when I set something up on our site, I am limited to setting things up by what I can view. So what I view might be different than the majority.

Also, I could get a bigger monitor myself and I would need to mindful of the commoners er, other members of our site when setting things up. Big Grin

So please, if you haven't already, vote in this poll. It does mean something. Computer

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Bump.

If you could please take the time to answer this poll, I would appreciate it.

So please, if you haven't already, vote in this poll. It does mean something. Computer

I think I voted, but can't tell for sure. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I think I voted, but can't tell for sure. Frowner
If you try to vote, and it denies you, then you voted. Computer Here is what it will say if you try to vote more than once.
quote:
You only get one vote per poll. According to our records, you've already voted on this poll. Go back and click the results link if you want to see what everyone else is voting for.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis